Author Topic: Canaural Ear drops  (Read 18161 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Canaural Ear drops
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 23:41:40 PM »
Canaural is often used where infection is present. Not just earmites alone. Sounds to me like your vet saw more than just earmites during the exam. Cats with severe ear problems will appear 'low' and depressed as it affects their centre of balance. They can feel a bit seasick in fact.  :doh: Licking off small amounts won't harm him. But as Trigger says, the key is careful application. They will shake their heads and some of the oitment will run out, the knack is to wipe off as much of the excess as you can.  ;)

If vaccinations are also being done at the same time, many vets would prefer to treat infections with a topical treatment rather than an injection so as not to risk the effectiveness of the vaccine... which sounds exactly what your vet has done here.  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 23:32:39 PM »
Hope the vet visit goes ok  :hug: I've always used Thornit for ear mites, its kind of an old fashioned remedy, but it works and being a powder its easier than drops, and no greasy ears afterwards! http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx?=googleshopping&CAWELAID=448553948&

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:56:14 AM »
Hi, I don't know much about ear mites and the treatment but I do know that I use a steroid spray for eczema in my ears (and they are used for infections) and they are the only thing which helps me for the itching - and then pain and swelling sometimes.  I have them on repeat prescription and would think that they shouldn't harm your cat but I know of other people who have used ear drops for cats and they say that they are messy and the cats don't like them much.   My own cat Pepper was given them before we adopted him and the foster stopped them because he was upset and staggering but he is deaf and blind.

Hope that the vet visit goes well  :hug:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 06:58:52 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 23:10:05 PM »
How old is your Monty?

Is he old enoiugh to have stronghold put on? If so that kills ear mites.

I didnt knoiw that canaural was given for them but maybe wrong, I know that they seem to stay in the ear quite a long time, so more than once a day seems rather too much.

I only know this cos Franta was given them over a year ago and 3 days later after having no more, they still couild seen in his ears by another vet.

Hope you can get Monty sorted out and there is nothing serious wrong  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 23:08:30 PM »
I couldn't use these drops on my cat, as it needs two people - one to hold the cat's head on one side, and keep it there, and the other to put in the drops

but Advocate killed off Tosker's mites with none of the  bother, and Stronghold also kills them
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline nekoxchan

• Adult Cat
Canaural Ear drops
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 22:52:31 PM »
Okay, so my poor little kitty Monty was having his 2nd and final vaccinations at the vets the other day and she noticed that he has ear mites  >:(
She prescribed him 'Canaural' which is to be used day and night, 1 squirt in each ear and to massage the ear after.
After about 3 days of use the poor thing looked like a scraggy alley cat as the grease from the drops was getting all over his fur and as he was shaking his head getting it everywhere and licking it off him I'm worried he has swallowed alot of it.
His behaviour has changed, he is very quiet and not as playful, he just doesn't seem right.
I've stopped applying the drops, gave him a bath to get most of the grease off his fur, and noticed his tummy seems quite swollen on the left side and it's very hard :/

I will take him to the vets tomorrow to see what's going on, but I think he has just eaten too much of the drops, and it's upset his tummy.
I'm hoping it's as simple as that anyway !

I noticed, the ear drops contain :

Diethanolamine Fusidate 5.0mg
Framycetin Sulphate 5.0mg
Nystatin 100,000 iu

and...

PREDNISALONE 2.5mg

(what the hell ?! prednisalone is a steroid that I give to my clients at work ?!)

Link to CatChat