Author Topic: How long does a season last?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: How long does a season last?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 01:20:03 AM »
Personally, I'd be inclined to book her in as soon as she shows signs of ceasing calling. If your friend isn't sure whether she got out during her call, it might be wise to ask the vet to carry on with the spey even if she's pregnant. I did this with Lucy, who turned out not to be pregnant. There was a small chance she could be.

Lottie, I'm sure you're aware that not mating an entire female often leads to ovarian cancer.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:20:54 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 19:49:48 PM »
Yes they said that and that is why they charged us more! Although they didn't say it was more dangerous!!! Eeek!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »
IT is riskier to spay a cat in season, as the blood vessels are engorged, I have only done it once when I thought the cat had finished calling, but the vet said she hadn't fully come out of season.
Please spay your cat

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 01:26:35 AM »
It's horrible isn't it!! When ella started we couldn't do anything to help. She had never been out but she was at the door wailing. Poor Effie kept wanting to check what was wrong and just kept getting Ella's bum in her face  :rofl:  I felt helpless as she sounded in pain. I wonder why your vet asked you to wait. Mine was like "still bring her in Monday"

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 17:22:48 PM »
Thank you all. Dakota is calling less today and seems a lot more settled so hopefully shes coming to the end of the season. As soon as she hasnt called for 24hrs Pat is going to call the vet and get her booked in so she hopefully be spayed by the end of the week. Hopefully she wont be that quick to come back into season before then. Its odd Ive never seen a cat in season as mine had both been done so had no idea what to expect
Thanks for the help
love
Tab

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 16:27:50 PM »
It varies from cat to cat but Boopy usually calls for around 5-6 days. When she was younger, and now if she hasn't been mated for ages, she would only have a day or two break between stopping one call and starting another so that is something to be aware of as that will make neutering when not in call almost impossible.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »
it really does depend from cat to cat, and am sure it can be between 4 and 8 days, but can't find it in my cat book to confirm. The main problem is some cats will come into heat practically back to back, so would then have to be neutered while in season.
Please spay your cat

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »
Its a shame the vets didn't give you an idea of how long it would last. Both my girls were neutered before they ever came into season so I have no idea.

Lucky for for your friend its cooled down so she can keep the windows shut.

Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 10:23:31 AM »
The vet was phoned the day she came into season and said to wait until the season had passed unless there was any chance of her getting out. I just wondered how long a season was so I can plan when I need to be around for Pat
Thanks for your help
love
Tab

Offline Guest

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 20:02:33 PM »
ask your vet. I had Ella and effie booked as soon as their last vaccination was due. Ella then came into season earlier than expected! She was due to be done on Monday and came into calling on Saturday. We called the vet saturday morning and they told us to still bring her in on Monday. It cost us more to do her whilst she was on season but they still did it and never mentioned it being a problem.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
How long does a season last?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 17:13:34 PM »
This is a question for my friend who adopted a cat 3 weeks ago. The rescue had no idea if she was spayed or not so decided it was safer to wait and see than to try and spay and find she'd been done. Its now obvious she hasnt but she will be when she can. Any idea how long that would be?
Thank you
love
Tab

Link to CatChat