Author Topic: RIP Clapton 27/9/10  (Read 20613 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Clapton - now at vets on a drip.
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2010, 19:54:11 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2010, 19:42:49 PM »
So sorry Mark - hoping and praying he can keep on fighting. :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2010, 19:42:37 PM »
Mark all thoughts are with you and Dennis at this time and of course darling Clapton  :hug:

The Clan are keeping all paws crossed both feline and doggy - thats over 100 paws and then a few extra

He is in the best place and I'm afraid missing college wouldn't be an issue this is an emergency he is your baby :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2010, 19:13:48 PM »
My Thoughts are with you all.  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2010, 18:54:19 PM »
Lots of love and positive vibes for Clapton and  :hug: for you and Dennis xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2010, 18:42:53 PM »
I have everything crossed for Clapton to respond well to the drip.   :hug:  :hug: to you and OH

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2010, 18:19:25 PM »
Thanks everyone  :shy:

We had a call about 15 minutes ago from the nurse. She said Clapton has settled down in a warm fluffy bed and had a wee. So far, he hasn't eaten the renal food they gave him - if he still hasn't touched it by morning, they will offer him some regular food. Another one of my worries is no vet (and I couldn't expect them to) is going to offer him 10 or more different foods in a day and coax him into eating. He did eat this morning amazingly - this was before the squatting started. (I think it was the 3rd of 4th type of food offered - Tesco own brand chicken supermeat with binders. It does have a nice sloppy consistency perfect for licking  :sick:

We are trying to distract ourselves and remember that he couldn't be in a better place. I know the majority of vets have nobody on site overnight.

I actually missed the phone the first time and warned Dennis to brace himself. I called back straight away but got the answerphone. The nurse called right back  :)

An old one
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 19:14:49 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2010, 18:16:01 PM »
What a horrible time for you all  :hug: :hug: Lets hope the fluids improve things and he is back home with you soon.

Andrea.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2010, 18:10:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about Clapton Mark -hope he is okay and recovers after the fluids have kicked in .
Thinking of you and Dennis and Clapton  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2010, 17:01:41 PM »
Thinking of you and Dennis, what a difficult time it is for you all :hug:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2010, 16:36:59 PM »
I hope the fluids help
 :hug: :hug:
love
Tab

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2010, 16:33:59 PM »
will you be ringing later today?

No - they only have a nurse on duty until they open tomorrow (with emergency vet on call if needed)

She has our number and will phone if need be. I need to go to college tomorrow - I can't start missing lectures unless it is an emergency.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2010, 15:21:48 PM »
Oh Mark really sorry to hear Clapton is poorly. Hopefully the fluids will help him feel better.

Sending you and Dennis loads of these  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2010, 14:42:17 PM »
Mark I'm so sorry to hear this, haven't been around much so was a shock to see  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2010, 13:57:15 PM »
 :( Mark I'm so sorry to read this.  I'll be thinking of Clapton today and sending lots of love and best wishes for him  :hug: :hug: 

I do hope that you have good news later, will you be ringing later today?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2010, 13:24:18 PM »
poor Clapton sending lots of  :hug:.    hope he pulls through
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2010, 13:16:10 PM »
Poor Clapton  :'( Thinking of you all xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
Poor baby  :( Have everything crossed he can pull through, must be so worrying for you both  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: Just back from the vet again with Clapton
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 12:29:50 PM »
He is at the vet on a drip  :(

He ate this morning and went out for a drink. just before 11am, he wanted to go out again. OH was in the garden and called me out. He said Clapton was straining in different parts of the garden. My first thought was a blockage. I rang the vets who were closing in 10 minutes. They said to bring him in straight away and they would wait. We got there are 11.20. It was compacted poo. The vet was going to give him an enema but he produced a big solid poo on the table which she said saved her a job. Anyway, she said he is very dehydrated and recommended him going on a drip immediately. Despite what I said previously, I said that it didn't sound like we had a choice. She said if we took him home, he would shut down over the next day or so and that going on fluids was his only chance. I asked about longer hydration as I heard it was good. She said that if he responds over the next 24hrs, she agrees it would be a good idea to continue - however, if he doesn't, we will have to think about letting him go  :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2010, 09:54:20 AM »
Klippits are the answer for me Mark

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faringdon-Set-10cm-Large-Clips/dp/B0000BVEVU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1285335103&sr=8-2

but sold lots of other places too

I looked at them in Lakeland yesterday. I didn't buy any as even the jumbo ones were only about 6" long - I was thinking that I would need one to go the whole length of the bag. I thought about it later and it would probably just need to be as big as the opening on the bag had I just cut a corner  :-[

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2010, 08:50:45 AM »
He turned his nose up at the RC renal pouch, felix foil tray, Asda senior and RC renal dry this morning but he finally gave in and had a really good go at the Eukanuba dry  :)

OH says I shouldn't keep putting things in front of him when he obviously doesn't want them, but I have found that if he refuses a food and moves away, I can put it in front of him again and he will eat some. I sometimes have to go through this 4 or 5 times before he will decide to eat . If he was obviously nauseous, I wouldn't do it, but it often does the trick. I have pointed out that it is a slippery slope and getting him to eat a bit will make him eat a bit more later etc. I also think that it settles his tum. He seems to be worse in the morning. The nausea seems to have gone a bit for now and he hasn't thrown up for 3 days  :). For about 2 weeks, I was changing the duvet cover and a few times the duvet itself, every day - just as well we have 60o washable spundown duvets  :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2010, 00:01:33 AM »
Hope Clapton has eaten a bit more today  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 22:52:57 PM »
 :hug: :hug: Just sending hugs for you all Mark, poor Clapton  :(

When our vet suggested taking Schui in for fluids etc I said no that he would be so stressed away from home he'd go downhill and that we'd try him at home first.  Thankfully he pulled through at home and started to eat again.  When he wouldn't eat I never forced him but just gently coaxed him with whatever he liked and cat milk, I spoon fed him where he was I took the food to him, anything to get him eating again.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 22:41:05 PM »
Mark I've only just seen this and I'm really sorry to hear Clapton isn't doing too good :(

I know you will do best by him and keep him happy and comfortable and give him lots of love.

This must be such a difficult time for you guys, its something most of us have unfortunately been through so we all know what your going through and will all be here for you (((hugs)))
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 15:37:52 PM »
 :hug: Mark,

It's so sad when they sit there hunched up.

You know whats best for him, anyway xx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 14:33:36 PM »
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 14:29:02 PM »
I can only get on Purrs now and again, but always look for Clapton's thread.
He really is an amazing cat to have fought this for so long (with a bit of help from his humans!).

I really wish you could have one more Christmas together, but I guess you have to take things day to day now.

:hug: :hug:
N & P

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 13:59:21 PM »
Thanks Carol  :shy:

Well the RC dry was ignored but he gave the paws up to the Eukanuba. I won't buy Iams as there are plenty of alternatives but if he will eat this, I will keep ordering. Annoyingly, the bag is 3kg but not resealable. I will have to buy a something airtight to keep it in.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 11:34:58 AM »
 :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  I know what you're going through Mark and really feel for you, OH and Clapton. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 10:11:37 AM »
I will never forgive myself for trying to syringe mushed a/d into Willow. She moved suddenly and the syringe bashed in her mouth which was (I didn't know at the time) badly ulcerated. I think it is one thing to use assisted feeding etc for a cat with an acute condition, but when they are near the end and all it will do is stress and upset them, I really think it is time to let them go.  :(

Anyway, he was 1/2 nauseous this morning. I tried renal food without any luck. I decided to give him a small amount of go-cat senior (emergency stash) which seemed to settle his stomach. I am scraping the barrel for renal foods now. I have a bag of RC renal coming today - I haven't tried that for ages. Also about the only renal thing I haven't tried yet - Eukanuba renal dry. I know it is Iams but if he will eat it, I will buy it.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »
Thinking of you and Clapton & OH. :hug: :hug:
I agree with Clare if Clapton still wanting to eat is good sign, with Phoebe towards the end i had to really push her to eat and that was cuz i wanted her to take her tablets :( I remember some mornings i used to sit here with all different raw meats and treats and just trying i wish i hadnt now because in the end the tablets wasnt that important and i was just stressing her and myself :(
You are in my thoughts. :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 20:24:02 PM »
I would accept OH's decision with fluids, especially if it would mean leaving him at the vets, he doesn't sound liek the kind of cat who would cope very well, and it wouldn't cure him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 15:37:06 PM »
Willow was the same. I do think Clapton has a lot of fight in him - but there is a limit. According to the vet, stage 4 means he only has 10% of functioning kidneys left  :(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 14:39:49 PM »
It is a rollercoaster Mark, and all you can do is take each day at a time, and see what happens.  With things like this you can't plan what you should think or do, you just have to deal with what arises, which is exactly what you are both doing.

He's still wanting to eat which is very good, Max would have days where he'd hardly move, not want to eat and keep doing the gulping/lip smacking thing as he felt nauseous, then the next day he'd be hungry again, it was so unpredictable  :-[

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 12:23:34 PM »
You and Dennis are in my thoughts - I know you both adore Clapton and will do what ever is the best for him. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 12:20:33 PM »
 Hugs for you, your OH and Clapton xxx :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 12:16:26 PM »
Sorry Mark, don't envy you the decision  :hug: at least he has perked up a bit by the sound of it, but as you say, it is a rollercoaster. Thinking of you and OH  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 10:16:07 AM »
Thanks everyone  :shy:

I really know why they call it a rollercoaster. I gave him Metoclopramide yesterday morning as he was hunched and swallowing etc. I was reluctant to leave him but had a class. I went to Aldi as it is near the hospital. I thought I would try their own brand senior food. When I got back, he was still in the garden. I gave him some expecting him to start swallowing etc, but he started eating. For some reason, he has a lot of trouble eating since his mouth was done last - as if his mouth is smaller. Just before bedtime, he spent a few hours up in the bedroom and ate some more. Just before bed time, he came down again and wanted to go out. OH didn't want him outside but I said that for some reason, he won't drink from the inside bowls - so we have to allow him outside whenever he wants. He was still out there this morning; head down, swallowing etc. I went to get the meds and he decided to come in. I took him more Aldi senior up with binders and he started scoffing  :Crazy: - he then went to the bowl of Aldi senior biscuits (dusted in binders) and had a good go at those - then went back to the wet  ;D - I know he isn't 'better' and is likely to be nauseous again soon. It is so difficult.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 02:12:33 AM »
So wish there was a way to ease the pain  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 01:43:03 AM »
More hugs from me to all of you. :hug: :hug: :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Link to CatChat