Author Topic: Update on Katie's conditions  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
Re: Update on Katie's conditions
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about Katie. There is a treatment that some vets are prescribing now and it is also being tried on humans. It isn't a drug with nasty side-effects, I believe it is a mix on amino-acids etc and some vets and doctors have reported that it slows down growth in tumours. Someone posted about it either on here or catchat. I had a quick look but can't find the thread. Maybe someone else can remember? - otherwise, if you are interested, I will have a dig. I would think twice about chemo type drugs, but if there are no side-effects, personally I would give it a go. I wish I could remember the name  :-: - it isn't a word, it is a code with 2 letters and 2 numbers.

There is no problem in putting her on treatment that is being tested on humans and pets. She is 18 years old which in human years is like 80/90. Instead of giving her something that could make her more ill it has been decided to give her a comfortable last few years being her happy cat self. Which i think is far more better than taking trial drugs. If she was younger like 12years, then it might have been an option. The natural way of life as let her life til an old age and its the naturally way that death should happen. We just want to make sure she goes happy, comfort and has a surrounding feeling of love.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 17:23:55 PM »
Something like that but not that.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 15:06:41 PM »
ITs something like CV47
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 13:37:49 PM »
Sorry to hear about Katie. There is a treatment that some vets are prescribing now and it is also being tried on humans. It isn't a drug with nasty side-effects, I believe it is a mix on amino-acids etc and some vets and doctors have reported that it slows down growth in tumours. Someone posted about it either on here or catchat. I had a quick look but can't find the thread. Maybe someone else can remember? - otherwise, if you are interested, I will have a dig. I would think twice about chemo type drugs, but if there are no side-effects, personally I would give it a go. I wish I could remember the name  :-: - it isn't a word, it is a code with 2 letters and 2 numbers.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 13:02:04 PM »
Sorry to hear it isnt better news.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 23:45:24 PM »
Sorry its such sad news but at least you know the situation and can give all the love in the world everyday  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 18:14:07 PM »
Sorry to hear it wasn't good news  :hug:

Offline Stezzle

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Licky, Fudge, Sugar, Candy (RIP Miss C)
Update on Katie's conditions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 21:44:22 PM »
Hey Peeps.

I posted a thread asking for help with my cats and i mentioned how Katie the eldest cat (18years old) has eating but not putting on weight. The vets took some bloods and thought it was either thyroids or diabetes. Well the results are in and the only thing that's abnormal is her slightly higher than normal liver levels. Therefore the vet believes that Katie has tiny tumour which is small and cant be detected unless they operate. With her being an older cat we agreed that her body would not be able to cope with a operation and it would be writing her death in a horrid way. Because she is a happy go lucky, playful cat who seems not to be in any pain, we are just going to let her die naturally unless we see any signs of discomfort or pain. The vet believes this is the right way and therefore i am glad she will be with us a bit longer and go to rest peaceful at home on her favourite snug spot than on the table. I personally am not the closest person to Katie, we have mutual friendship but my bf is a little sad as he has been with her since he was about 5 and therefore have a very strong bond and love for each other. I just thought i would update the people who posted suggestion and good well comments.

Link to CatChat