Author Topic: At wits end- Fifi has cystitis yet again tonight !!- baffling now !  (Read 11554 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: At wits end- Fifi has cystitis yet again tonight !!- baffling now !
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2010, 15:34:30 PM »
Thanks for asking , she is fine with the cystitis at present -now i have another problem with her and its getting her to eat !
She is being incredibly faddy and i have tried her on everything -she is only eating about 1 to 11/2 sachets a day if that .

She won''t eat biscuits (not that i have seen ) , won''t eat the sheba anymore , she ate 1 sachet of gourmet perle and i bought her some more and she won''t touch it now.
I have tried all the felix ones and if i am lucky she will eat a few mouthfuls , she hooks it out with her paws and there is more on the floor than what she eats .
She had her mouth and teeth checked and they cannot see a problem -not sure what to do to be honest .

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2010, 10:39:43 AM »
Just wondering how Fifi is now.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2010, 14:03:36 PM »
 :) Pleased to hear that Fifi is doing well now
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2010, 14:01:18 PM »
If things seem to be clearing up with treatment, that's great.  Hopefully the vet will check her over again for any lump, but I'd ask him to do that. If he can't find anything this time, perhaps you've had a lot of unnecessary anxiety.  Keep us informed of how she is.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2010, 14:27:49 PM »
Just a quick update -since the injections Fifi has been fine ,she is going back on Friday for another one (long lasting ) .
She is also eating Felix (after not going near it for 2 years ! :Crazy: ) -but that has enabled me to open the cystease capsules and sprinkle into her food  ;D

I am also going to get some D Mannose in a week or so when i have paid my vet bill off !!!

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2010, 15:53:19 PM »
You seem to be on a real rollercoaster.  Most of us assume the vet knows more than we do and you trust what they tell you.  I think the only way to find out if your cat really does have a lump is to ask the vet to do tests.  If it's not a lump, something this time might point towards an infection or small crystals which didn't show up before and then perhaps a more suitable form of medication can be given.

My cat had a bad sickness bout once while on Cystease and my vet said it was not linked with sickness or any bad side effects.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »
I really wouldnt be happy that a vet would be making me think my cat had cancer and a poor prognosis just off feeling them, especially if she hadn't been to the toilet. Just because she had an ultrasound in Feb doesnt' mean that it wouldnt show something different now. IT is good that she is eating wet food now though, and will make it easier for you to put meds in her food. I know protein in their wee is connected with kidneys, and the ph levels show if the wee is acidic or alkaline (just can't remember which way the scale goes), so there is definitely something going on.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2010, 17:43:09 PM »
Thanks everyone -Mark where do you get the D-mannose from please?

This is the company that seems to come up the most - they are in York http://www.waterfall-d-mannose.com/faq.htm#animals

It is quite expensive but I think
the dose for a cat is tiny. You could email them to ask. You should be able to mix it in her Felix.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2010, 17:37:58 PM »
He found it just by squeezing and feeling her all over -he said it definately wasn''t there on Thursday and couldn''t find any anywhere else.

She hadn''t been to the loo though for 3 days because she wasn''t eating much at all .

She is fine again at the moment -but i find it really odd that she will not touch her biscuits at all now -only eating felix pouches. :Crazy:

She did have a ultrasound in Feb and a xray but there was nothing there then and she was just as she had been last week -the only thing they did then was flush out her bladder -but there was nothing there -no stones, crystals .

When they did the wee test -it had high PH and protein in it, but no blood  -not sure what that could mean .?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 17:39:30 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »
Gill, did the vet find the first mass through an ultrasound or just feeling her? If he just felt her, it is nowhere near accurate enough, and I would now be demanding another ultrasound - the research I did last weekend on bladder cancer said that tumours in the bladder dont show up on x-rays, only on ultrasounds
Please spay your cat

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2010, 16:25:37 PM »
Thanks everyone -Mark where do you get the D-mannose from please?
Last night twice when i went in to the kitchen it was wet near the litter trays -but i am sure it wasn''t wee !- it looked clear and a little frothy which i am presuming was sick .
Having 5 not really sure who it was -but the boys were in the room with me , (although Winston was sneezing for ages last night for some reason -he must go where there is something that makes him sneeze !?)Sophie i am reasonably certain was upstairs asleep (although she now has the runs -antibiotics finished over a week ago and i have just used the last of the Lacto B and i need to order some more) Pandora was asleep , so i am presuming it was Fifi -who had not that long ago had a cystease pill !!??
I wonder if the cystease doesn''t agree with her and made her sick ?

If its not one its the other lately !

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »
good news :)

what you need is the veterinarian equivalent to House :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2010, 23:41:24 PM »
Good to hear the mass is gone, hope you can get the cystitis sorted once and for all  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2010, 20:48:02 PM »
So pleased the mass has vanished and that she is now eating wet food..............please send her here to teach my lot that felix will not poisen them or any other wet food!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2010, 20:30:28 PM »
If it were me, I really would be tempted to try the d-mannose as it is the bacterial cases that it is most successful with. The bacteria normally adhere to mannose receptors in the urinary tract but they are more attracted to the d-mannose, so they get flushed out of the system before they can colonise. It could probably be given every 2 or 3 days as a preventative. It is harmless and as far as I can tell, no taste or smell. If she is eating wet food now, it shouldn't be a problem.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2010, 19:53:19 PM »
So glad that she didnt have to be operated on - bet you are so relieved Gill  :hug:

Will give you a call 2morrow x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »
Very strange but also very positive news! Really hope you can get to the bottom of it and put an end to the recurring cystitis  :hug:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2010, 11:07:29 AM »
It's certainly strange that something was found on an xray but can't be traced now.  I'm glad to hear your vet is still treating with injections, cystease and Zyklene though.  They will certainly help if it's an infection or cystitis and the Zyklene will hopefully keep her calmer with whatever is going on.  It's also strange she suddenly wants wet food, but as said before the more liquid you can get through her system the better.  Maybe her body is naturally asking for more moisture.  Let us know how she is today.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2010, 09:25:05 AM »
Very strange indeed, but good news that there now appears to be no mass  :hug: :hug:

Maybe cats are like pregnant women, in that sometimes they eat things they've not eaten before, as their body knows is good for them and what they need?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
Glad to hear there seems to be no mass now  :hug: but how very baffling.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2010, 07:34:23 AM »
Glad to hear this, give her a cuddle from me  :hug:

(Her body may be telling her she needs to eat the other type food)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2010, 00:12:26 AM »
He just felt all over her - he did say it could be faeces (but didn''t really think so -but maybe it was !!??)
He gave her an injection but i think it was a steroid injection and only tablets he said to give were cystease and Zyklene.

Yes, its good news but i am paranoid it may start up again soon !

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: At wits end- Fifi has cystitis yet again tonight !!- bad news
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2010, 23:57:07 PM »

The lump/mass as the vet called it - has vanished

How new is their equipment. A mass can't just vanish - although it is great news that she doesn't have one.  ;D

If it is bacterial, I really think she would be better off with the d-mannose than ABs as they are probably what gives her the runs.

She sounds like Clapton - he has refused to eat any of the foods that were his favourites before his mouth trouble - he has even gone off chicken and it was his favourite  :Crazy:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2010, 23:28:08 PM »
Well , i am afraid Fifi is getting to be a bit of a mystery !

The lump/mass as the vet called it - has vanished !!!! Nothing there and he has felt and squeezed her all over -in fact she weed on the table when he squeezed her bladder ( mindst you ,it was hectic in there tonight and even though i had an appointment for 5.50 it was 7.30 before we go in -add 1/2 hour journey ontop and not sure when she had last been for a wee either) -it was convenient anyway as he managed to get a sample then.

Her wee had protein in and a high PH ? but no blood .
He now thinks its a bacterial infection and given her another injection and to go back in a week .

She has been fine today , very relaxed and wee is normal .

Another baffling thing too is all the time i have had her which is just over 2 years , she would never eat wet food even though it was offered and down for the others too -the only thing she would eat (in a fashion!) was chicken Sheba -which she hooks out of the bowl and eats from her paws !
The last 2-3 days she has been hovering over Winston when i fed him -so i offered her some Felix - she ate some and now will not eat the biscuits at all -only Felix !!!

To say i am totally baffled by this cat is an understatement -even the vet things its a bit odd !

She is back on the cystease and zyklene and we will see what she is like for the next week till we go back !

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 20:37:20 PM »
Hoping it all went well, today for you both xxxx :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 19:29:19 PM »
Thinking of you and Fifi Gill  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 11:49:25 AM »
Thanks -appointment is just before 6pm .
She has been a lot better the last 2 days -but i have been here before and just as i think its sorted , it starts again . We really needs to get to the bottom of why it keeps happening.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
Good Luck today Gill  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 10:16:25 AM »
Best of luck for today  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 08:58:04 AM »
I would also think that bladder stones would show up on an xray.  Is your vet still giving Fifi medication in case it's cystitis?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 00:40:28 AM »
Yes stones would show up on an xray but wouldnt a mass?

Franta has stones near one dead kidney and was shown them on the xray, which was sent to Bristol for advice.

I do hope the vet is wrong too  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2010, 17:32:04 PM »
really sorry to hear this, I know how much they all mean to you.  My friend lost her cat to bladder cancer, unfortunately spraying had been put down to bad behaviour and it wasn't diagnosed until very late - should the worst happen Gill you know you have given her a great life

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2010, 16:53:16 PM »
If its bladder stones wouldn''t they have showed up in a scan or xray ?
Also she hasn''t been eating much the last few days and hasn''t had a poo either .

She wanted to go out in the garden , but she isn''t very energetic and hasn''t been really for a while .
Smartie is 13 but was still throwing a toy mouse round the kitchen last night and this morning and Winston is always out ,even Sophie with her stitches is completely her old self again , but Fifi hardly ever plays or wants to interact with you .

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 16:52:43 PM »
So sorry to hear this  :(  :hug:  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2010, 16:42:11 PM »
Sorry to hear your awful news.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 16:13:08 PM »
Oh no. I really hope that Thursday brings better news for you  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 15:29:47 PM »
fingers crossed very hard the mass is bladder stones

feline bladder cancer is not at all common, so there is reason to hope vet is wrong
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 14:43:53 PM »
I hope you are okay Gill, I know how heartbroken you are feeling and you know I am always at the end of the phone. 

Really hoping for some positive news on Thursday Hun  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 14:32:33 PM »
Sorry Gill - just seen this  :hug:

Lets hope he is wrong.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 13:06:28 PM »
I'm so sorry the vet thinks it's cancer.  I hope it's not as bad as you fear and that Thursday's visit brings better news  :hug:

Link to CatChat