Author Topic: 16 year old, cancerous, hyperthyroid feline has stopped eating  (Read 5282 times)

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
  • Slave to: Cassie, Porsche, Mickey and Jazz
Re: 16 year old, cancerous, hyperthyroid feline has stopped eating
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »
I would go for a/d over Liquivite, I haven't had a cat yet who likes liquivite

Thanks for that info...off to the vets on Tuesday...will keep you informed...

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 08:05:14 AM »
I would go for a/d over Liquivite, I haven't had a cat yet who likes liquivite
Please spay your cat

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 21:28:59 PM »
Poor Cassie  :( pate type foods have always been popular with mine, the one Gill mentions turkey with giblets Byron used to love - it's by Hi - Life but I've had trouble getting it lately.   My boy seems ok on Vidalta, shame that Cassie isn't good with either.  I'd definitely ask your vet though for something to help her tum because with hyperthyroidism an empty stomach will just make her feel more nauseas.   Let us know how things go I do feel for her  :hug:

No haven't tried her on Vidalta yet...will certainly ask to change her across...
Thank for all your help :thanks:

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 21:27:00 PM »
You could also try Liquivite - meant to mention it on the phone yesterday. If she won't eat, then maybe she would drink, and Liquivite has all the nutrients, just in liquid form. Its worked in the past for a couple of mine. Your vet might have it or you can get it online (think some pet shops carry it too) http://www.liquivite.co.uk/  :hug:

Oh gosh yes Gillian I forgot Liquivite I used to give that to my 19 year old lad but that was some years ago...Bought some Classic tonight and she ate a little yippeeeee. Have also bought some of the pate type foods, but won't change her across too much.  :thanks:

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 21:19:51 PM »
If Felimazole is the problem, then Vidalta is the other one to try, my boy Max was on that with no ill effect for his hyperthroid issues  :hug:

Thanks for all this information....it is really much appreciated...

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 21:18:20 PM »
Thyroid meds often have a negative effect on appetite  :(  Have you joined the Yahoo feline hyyperthroid group? .........  http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-hyperT/    . There are lots of really knowledgeable people on there who i'm sure could give you some advice :)  Good luck, i know how hard this is  :(

No didn't know about this group but will certaibnly join them tonight..:thanks:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 20:36:32 PM »
Poor Cassie  :( pate type foods have always been popular with mine, the one Gill mentions turkey with giblets Byron used to love - it's by Hi - Life but I've had trouble getting it lately.   My boy seems ok on Vidalta, shame that Cassie isn't good with either.  I'd definitely ask your vet though for something to help her tum because with hyperthyroidism an empty stomach will just make her feel more nauseas.   Let us know how things go I do feel for her  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »
You could also try Liquivite - meant to mention it on the phone yesterday. If she won't eat, then maybe she would drink, and Liquivite has all the nutrients, just in liquid form. Its worked in the past for a couple of mine. Your vet might have it or you can get it online (think some pet shops carry it too) http://www.liquivite.co.uk/  :hug:

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »
Yes, sorry i probably should have mentioned that  :-:  I only found that out myself via the yahoo group and so i rang the manufacturer to confirm  :) I hope that Cassie improves soon, its so difficult when our babies are poorly isn't it  :(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »
You can split Vidalta tabs though, even though the packaging says not to!  Many vets advise that its OK to do so, Maxy was on 1/2 a tablet per day I seem to recall  :shy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »
Hmmm yes but Vidalta only comes in 10mg and 15mg tablets which may be too much.  I used both Felimazole and Vidalta in the past and had problems with both  :(  Having said that, yes, it is true that Vidalta is known to be less problematic  :)  Hyperthyroid is such a horrid disease  :(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »
If Felimazole is the problem, then Vidalta is the other one to try, my boy Max was on that with no ill effect for his hyperthroid issues  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline valeriewhiteside

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 09:54:10 AM »
Thyroid meds often have a negative effect on appetite  :(  Have you joined the Yahoo feline hyyperthroid group? .........  http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-hyperT/    . There are lots of really knowledgeable people on there who i'm sure could give you some advice :)  Good luck, i know how hard this is  :(

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 09:34:53 AM »
Has she started eating less since being put on Felimazole? IF so, it could be the meds that are causing it, they can have side effects. 1/2 pouch of food a day is nowhere near enough unless she has biscuits too, I would get her in at the vets asap, as not eating enough can affect their liver too. Good luck

Hi
Thinking about it she is eating less since being on Felimazole....I will try and get another appointment to discuss this with the vet. Thanks for your help.

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 09:32:21 AM »
Sorry to hear your cats are unwell, it's such a worry isn't it  :hug:

Zantac syrup is not used exclusively in CRF cats and if Cassie is not eating due to feeling nauseous then this could be why the vet prescribed it.  I think my cat had that once before (clear, sweet, sticky liquid?) but it made her worse so I asked the vet about a tablet version instead so if Cassie doesn't improve them do ask the vet if there is another medication she could try.

This link is from the CRF site but it's not specific to CRF and just has some really good tips on persuading them to eat  :hug:

Thanks for all the info makes for intesting reading and a long shopping list!!! Will try and get some to tempt her agin...
http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »
Zantac is used to prevent cats on NSAIDS from getting ulcers or stomach bleeding. Very few CRF cats are on NSAIDS I would have thought as they are harsh on the kidneys.

Have you tried Hill's A/D? - it is very smelly and high in calories - usually given to convalescing cats.

Thanks so much for your advise....thinking of getting Cassie to the vets today...will ask about A/D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:23:52 AM »
Has she started eating less since being put on Felimazole? IF so, it could be the meds that are causing it, they can have side effects. 1/2 pouch of food a day is nowhere near enough unless she has biscuits too, I would get her in at the vets asap, as not eating enough can affect their liver too. Good luck
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 02:23:48 AM »
I would definately try Hills Ad and even if she will not eat it out of a duish My old Kocka used to eat it off my finger.............I spent hours crawling round the floor after her to try and get as much of a tin a day i to her. It was small amounts until she didnt want any more and then would try again later.

I also found she would eat at times turekey and giblets pate in little tins, cant remember the make now but there is only one. I used to have a supermarket of different foods that she would eat and then refuse but the constant was Hills ad and she had it for 2-3 yrs.

Sending lots of giood vibes  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 00:02:37 AM »
Zantac is used to prevent cats on NSAIDS from getting ulcers or stomach bleeding. Very few CRF cats are on NSAIDS I would have thought as they are harsh on the kidneys.

Have you tried Hill's A/D? - it is very smelly and high in calories - usually given to convalescing cats.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 23:30:02 PM »
Sorry to hear your cats are unwell, it's such a worry isn't it  :hug:

Zantac syrup is not used exclusively in CRF cats and if Cassie is not eating due to feeling nauseous then this could be why the vet prescribed it.  I think my cat had that once before (clear, sweet, sticky liquid?) but it made her worse so I asked the vet about a tablet version instead so if Cassie doesn't improve them do ask the vet if there is another medication she could try.

This link is from the CRF site but it's not specific to CRF and just has some really good tips on persuading them to eat  :hug:

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 23:08:16 PM »
Hi Sam

Have tried the chichen and fish lark but sadly she brought the lot up each time during the night, funny that it was okay for about 4 hours at least. Will try milk and warming the food, thanks for the advise.

Good luck with your kitty...

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 22:57:52 PM »
I am currently having a bit of a nightmae encouraging a young kitten to eat.  It seems that warm food seems to be the way to go.  I warmed his felix in the microwave (just for about 3 or 4 secs).  Also adding a bit of warm water to whiskas milk.  Something else you might want to try is cooking some white fish (coley is really good) or chicken in water in the microwave ... allow to cool down but still serve warm with lots of the cooking water.

:hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline cats3dotcom

• Adult Cat
  • house of oldies...
16 year old, cancerous, hyperthyroid feline has stopped eating
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 22:26:13 PM »
Cassie is a 16 year old spayed female cat that last year had a very aggressive form of melanoma and the vet felt that her only chance was to remove her eye but then she couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't pop up else where and quite quickly...
So she had her eye removed and was given possibly 3 months...that was almost a year ago. She was doing very well, until June when she started to loose weight, and naturally I thought the cancer had returned. After lots of tests she turned out to be hyperthyroid and was put on Felimazole 2.5mg daily even though she was border line as the vet was concerned that as she only had one eye if her blood pressure rose it would hit her other eye first.  She only eats on a good day 1/2 pouch of food (all day) and I am concerned that she isn't getting enough to keep body and soul together.

I had to go to the vets today with two of my other cats one who has arthritis in her back legs and kidney failure and my Chinchilla Persian who has gone from 4kg to 3.3kg since Feb. They both had blood tests and I await the results but I mentioned my other cat Cassie and her not eating and they dispensed Zantac Syrup. On checking out the internet it seems that cats with CRF are often given this and I am concerned that they may have got my two cats muddled.

Any advise until I can make an appointment with Cassie.

Kind regards

Jan

Link to CatChat