Author Topic: My cat is grieving and not eating  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: My cat is grieving and not eating
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »
Sorry she isn't eating. I have the same trouble with my CRF boy. When all else fails, I try Kittie McDonalds - ie Whiskas or Go-cat dry. For some reason it appeals to him more than anything else - probably as he isn't allowed it usually, although was fed Whiskas dry when I met my OH  :shify:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »
Sorry you had to have your cat pts  :hug:  Poor Pepsi.  Jaffa grieved when his brother died 4 years ago but he didnt' stop eating.  He just mooched around and became very clingy, refusing to let me out of sight.  I would try to tempt Pepsi with anything you can think of - chicken, fish, deli meat - whatever she might eat. 

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 22:04:40 PM »
I had this with Willow when her Brother Storm was killed.
Time is what made things better for her but it was hard watching her grieve. My vet did suggest rescue remedy and Feliway....

Hope Pepsi feels happier soon bless her heart xx

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 21:01:45 PM »
My Vesti was a nervous cat and it caused him problems with his cystitis and Rescue Remedy helped him with it so worth trying as nothing in it that would harm your furbaby x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 20:53:00 PM »
 :( awww Lisa I'm so sorry.  I think it may be a good idea to take Pepsi to the vet,  they should have seen lots of cases like this and be able to help hopefully. 

I wonder whether Rescue Remedy or some other alternative treatments may help? not used them myself but I've heard of good results for different emotional states such as grief  :hug:  :hug: to you and Pepsi.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 19:20:40 PM »
I wish I knew something that would help and agree that if she is still not eating or drinking in a couple of days, you need to see a vet. This is so sad and do hope she succumbs to eating something tastey like chicken or pilchards in tomato sauce, or even tuna,,,,,,,,,,not in brine.

Sending you loads of good vibes for her  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:30:55 AM »
Things you wouldn't usually give her might work. (You know, like "human" food, only in small amounts obviously.) It's worth trying just to see if you can get her eating anything at all.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/euthanasia/bereavement.html

You've probably already read this, but FAB are usually pretty good.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:55:41 AM »
I have no experience of this situation either, but the vet can give Pepsi something to stimulate her appetite, if there is nothing medically going on with her
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »
Hi Lisa, so sorry to hear about Cleo, and that Pepsi is having difficulty adjusting  :hug: :hug:

I wish I could offer you some advice, but I have no experience in anything like this  :( hopefully someone will be along shortly who can give you some ideas  :hug:

She may just not have an appetite right now, same as us humans when we go through something traumatic?  Only thing I can think of is maybe trying cat milk if she likes that?  Its not a substitute for eating properly, but would at least get some nutrients into her?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
My cat is grieving and not eating
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:53:48 AM »
Can anyone give me any advice?

I had to have my beautiul girl Cleo put to sleep on Monday. My other cat Pepsi is grieving. She is moping around, miaowing in different rooms as though she is looking for her, and she refuses to eat a thing. I've tried all her fave treats, and nothing.
I am desperately worried about her. She is currently under my bed and will not come out.

I've checked the net and done everthing I can think of - not changing her routine, plenty of love and cuddles, trying to keep it together so she doesnt pick up on my grief (I know this is prob not working though).

I think I will take her to the vet later if she doesnt perk up, but wondered if there was anything else to try? Feliway perhaps?

They have only known each other since birth. I had them from the same litter at 7 weeks old, and that was over 15 years ago.

Please help. I cant bear to lose my other girl.

:( :( :(

Link to CatChat