Author Topic: Puss getting thinner and thinner, no bloated belly  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Puss getting thinner and thinner, no bloated belly
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 01:16:34 AM »
I am so pleased he is eating well now and gaining weight and of course had the all clear from the vet  ;D

Yes other things are Ok as an odd treat but nothing in brine cos its too salty.

Offline mischief

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Scampi
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 00:29:46 AM »
Thank you Fire Fox, that's really helpful. He's has the all clear from the vetnary and is now chomping his way through 2/3rds of a tin of Whiskas a day with a handful of P@H biscuit and gaining weight rapidly. He's a very active chap, spends most of his time outside in the fields (where he also litters) and regularly tops his diet up with mice and, sadly, the odd bird :-(

Thanks for the tip about repeat prescriptions and mail order, and also about the tuna. Are pilchards/sardines ok to feed him? I'd like to think he was getting more than just processed food occasionally.

Anyhow, he's just reminding now it's Fight Club time, duty calls ;-)

:thanks:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 13:00:45 PM »
 :welcome:

I don't think there is a problem with feeding the P@H own brand, providing it suits your cat and providing your cat eats sufficient to get all the nutrients they need to grow. I do recommend reading the ingredients list on commercial foods as meat content varies widely. You shouldn't need to restrict the amount of food a youngster eats - many people 'free feed' biscuits by leaving a bowl down all the time. Tuna is not a complete food, it doesn't contain calcium and magnesium (bone growth) nor saturated fats: if tuna is fed regularly they can get a health condition called steatitis.

You don't say if you are able to observe your cats toilet habits as this can be a good indication of general health and whether a food suits them. My Noah makes smelly and soft  :sick: poops if given any food containing cereals or grains (most dry foods sadly) or tuna cat food! These foods go right through him, whereas high meat content foods (raw, Bozita, P@H Purely) seem to be much better digested and absorbed.

If you are struggling to get to a pet store or vet surgery, most products can be mail ordered. Any wormer or flea product that needs a prescription you should be able to get a repeat from your vet, then send that to a company like VetUK and order as and when you need to. Many cat biscuit manufacturers will post out generous free samples if you phone or e-mail to ask - that way you can see if your cat enjoys the food before ordering a large bag!  :wow:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 13:03:11 PM by Fire Fox »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 23:08:49 PM »
Yes I think a vet check will be sensible and Rosella is right, I hated cats until my first mate Kocka walked i to my life......now am even known in my art group as the cat lady   :rofl: :rofl:

He sounds just hungry and am sure the assistant was just trying to help but doesnt have enough knowledge really.

The other thing is, that if he did have worms, they would be making him hungry as they would be stealling his food from inside. The vets do a spot on wormer that they could sell you, about £6 at my vets I think. I dont worm my cats , only once a year at their vet check but know many do it regularily.

Yes you are right both worms and fleas can come from escapades with the wild life LOL, I have two that spend their life hunting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this year has been bad for that I am pleased to say  :rofl:

Good luck tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and you are not stupid, you have done the best you could for Scampi and now you have found Purrs we can help you by answering any questions you have, or not  ;D

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 20:10:21 PM »
Hey Mischief!

Glad your getting Scampi to the vets to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't say you were feeding him the wrong food but maybe just not enough. Kitten food does have more nutrients than adult but adult food can be given from 6 months onwards (although I kept it up for nearly a year). I would suggest giving him currently (a handful of biscuits and quarter tin of wet food) but twice a day. The packet/tin will give you feeding guidelines and if you check them you will probably find your just not giving him quite enough, especially if he is an active cat.

Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline mischief

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 17:58:05 PM »
Hi again. Just back from a damp walk from the shop with a tin of Whiskas. Scooped a few bits on to a plate and it was gone almost immediately, accompanied by a window-rattling purr they heard in the next county  ;D ;D ;D ;D I was cautious about giving him too much,  but he's had about a quarter of a 390g tin and is now curled up on my lap, still purring to wake the dead!!!!! So, nothing at all wrong with his appetite, it's my fault for giving him the wrong food. I can't believe I was so stupid, especially when my instinct was telling me loud and clear it wasn't right.

:welcome: to Purrs

I think this is what worries me more than the reaction to the spot on as I assume Scampi has been like this before the wormer was applied.

he's painfully thin - ribs showing and sharp shoulder blades.

He had a bit of a bloated belly and was moulting a bit, which is why I went for the wormer - especially as he is the Scourge of Mousedom & someone told me that's where worms often come from. He 'de-bloated' very quickly afterwards (less than a day) but then just got thinner. And his appetite dropped off - or so I thought.

Having said that, kittens aged 12 months are pretty gangly in the main but this sounds more than that.  I would be making tracks for the vet esp as he has made such an indelible print on your heart, like a good pud should  :hug:

Still off to the vet's tomorrow, I think he needs to be checked properly if he's been starving for nearly a month poor mite. I can't believe I was so blind not to make the connection with his food change. And I'll take what pet shop sales assistants say with a bucket or six of salt next time, too.

I'll see what the vet says tomorrow.

:thanks: xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 17:23:05 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

I think this is what worries me more than the reaction to the spot on as I assume Scampi has been like this before the wormer was applied.

he's painfully thin - ribs showing and sharp shoulder blades.

Having said that, kittens aged 12 months are pretty gangly in the main but this sounds more than that.  I would be making tracks for the vet esp as he has made such an indelible print on your heart, like a good pud should  :hug:

I've gone from being mildly cat-phobic to finding my best friend in the world,

That's what happened to Gill many years ago with her first furry friend  :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 16:11:47 PM »
Wean him onto new food slowly  so his little body can adjust and also off the off food slowly, including the tuna, And sending lots of good wishes for him  :hug: :hug:

Offline mischief

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 16:06:08 PM »
I am in Wales too, where are you ? I am in SW.

Definately a vet visit and think that maybe Scampi needs biscuits and also a some wet food but not tuna for humansd, except on rare occasions like a treat.

I remember reading that Tuna is very addictive for cats so weaninhghim off it slowly maybe a good idea.

Mine get shared pouch of Felix 3 times a day and biscuits, just as general idea.

There are loads of helpful links around Purrs but being new here you may have some probs finding them, so anything you need to know just shout.

I really hope that Scampi is OK and he can be made his old self again, please stay in touch  :hug: :hug:

Thank you Gill, that's such a help to know what you feed him as a guide. I did wonder if just biscuit was OK, but had advice that it was. I still didn't feel right which is why I top up with tuna - I had no idea it was addictive. I've booked an appointment with the vet in Aber tomorrow, and stocking up on 'wet' food, but I think I'll brave the rain and walk to the village shop, they might have something on the shelf.

I'm currently parked up in mid-Wales, about 15 miles from Aberystwyth - no bother in a vehicle, but like I say a day's jaunt fiddling about with busses if I can't get the van up the drive. He hates the catbox, and going by bus means I have to keep him cooped up most of the day for the return bus.

Will definitely keep in touch - bit overwhelmed by the reaction here!!!

Ddiolch 'ch!! Thanks again xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 15:49:26 PM »
I am in Wales too, where are you ? I am in SW.

Definately a vet visit and think that maybe Scampi needs biscuits and also a some wet food but not tuna for humansd, except on rare occasions like a treat.

I remember reading that Tuna is very addictive for cats so weaninhghim off it slowly maybe a good idea.

Mine get shared pouch of Felix 3 times a day and biscuits, just as general idea.

There are loads of helpful links around Purrs but being new here you may have some probs finding them, so anything you need to know just shout.

I really hope that Scampi is OK and he can be made his old self again, please stay in touch  :hug: :hug:

Offline mischief

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 15:41:53 PM »
Thank you so much for gettin in touch so quickly. We're up a mountain in Wales - vehicle access out is very much dry days only, though at a pinch I can strap the catbox to the pushbike and make it to the bustop.

I feel like a fool cause I just didn't think about food. We have just changed over about 3 weeks ago, from IAMS Kitten & Junior Proactive to Pets at Home 'Adult Complete'. The lady at Pets at Home assured me it the new stuff contained everything, but maybe not. I'll get some of the old stuff and see how we go. And we'll be visiting the vet tomorrow too.

I'm new to cats generally, though I know a little more now than I did  a year ago. Scampi turned up last September as a damp ball of woe in the garden, still half blind with blue eyes. I took him to the vet's for a check, and had his jabs done. I fed him up with kitten milk, then weaned him on to the IAMS biscuit, and it's been a joy to see how happy and healthy he's growing up. The Spot-On was posted to me by a friend who has cats. It is indeed only since he's started the new food he's lost condition, so we'll fix that straightaway.

Thank you again - I've gone from being mildly cat-phobic to finding my best friend in the world, I'd be devastated if anything happened, especially if it was my fault.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 15:31:35 PM »
Spot On is the Bob Martin wormer, and there are a lot of tales on the internet about adverse reactions to it

it can, it would seem, damage the liver, which may mean your cat is not absorbing any nutrients from his food

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 15:29:40 PM »
Please reply Mischief cos so want to help you and Scampi  :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 15:28:47 PM »
Hiya, and welcome to Purrs  :)

I agree that it would be useful to get a bit more background and information etc, but if you are concerned, then I can only say that a vet visit should be the way forward  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 15:25:22 PM »
The foaming at the mouth sounds like he licked the area where the spot on was placed before it has all soaked in. My cat has done the exact same thing a couple of times  :doh: It does indeed result in lots of foaming at the mouth and acting rather distressed.

I would at this stage agree with Gill about it being down to the food. I do have a petite cat and he eats more than your Scampi does.

Welcome to Purrs  :hug:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 15:17:40 PM »
As you dont have a vet closer , would I be right in thinking you did not use a vet prescribed wormer?

Has this loss of weight happened since the wormer?

The food you are giving him does not sound right for a cat or sufficient, where abouts do you live.....ate you in the UK?

I would personally take him to a vets immediately but can you say why you are feeding him on Tuna and not a regular cat food............what biscuits are you giving him, cos his diet sounds not very good.

Sorry if this sounds critical but we need to know a lot more info so as to be able to advise you, the wormer could have poisened him but so many more details are needed before panicking  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline mischief

• Kitten
Puss getting thinner and thinner, no bloated belly
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 14:57:05 PM »
Hiya.

Sorry to make my first post a cry for help, but I'm getting worried about how thin my cat is.

I wormed my 12 month old cat Scampi 2 weeks ago with Spot On. He had a bad reaction to it, in that he foamed at the mouth and was obviously distressed. He won't touch pills, whether crushed or whole, even in tuna. His belly isn't bloated, but he's painfully thin - ribs showing and sharp shoulder blades.

He's eating a level handful of biscuit and about a quarter tin of tuna a day. Does Spot On clear everything? Does the fact he had a reaction mean it hasn't worked? He seems happy enough, very affectionate and not obviously ravenous, and his coat is sleek enough. What am I missing?

I live in a very remote area and the nearest vet is a day's journey away - obviously if this goes on much longer we have no choice, but we'd really appreciate some guidance from you knowledgeable lot before we go!

Any help very much appreciated, thank you  :shy:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 14:59:06 PM by mischief »

Link to CatChat