Author Topic: Cat Flu  (Read 2841 times)

Offline JennyLynn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Puddles (we miss you x) and Cookie
Re: Cat Flu
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 17:46:13 PM »
 :shy:
Just a little update.

Spoke to the shelter today, seems nine cats have a very mild strain of cat flu, have been given betamox and all felines in quarantine for a week. Vet checks tomorrow, if she is all clear then she can come home this weekend.
Thanks for all your advice and fingers crossed! i'll def. know what to look out for now thanks to you.

Jenny  :hug:
St Gertrude, keep my cat all night
From trap or poison, thorn or bite,
From speeding cars and thieving men,
And bring him safely home again.

Offline JennyLynn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 19:10:34 PM »
Thank you  :hug: :hug:
Its very reassuring to hear that your cats had the illness as babies and have recovered well. I look at human gums for a living so checking my cats will be no problem at all! Fingers crossed she will be ok for rehoming from thursday, i'm desperate to get her home and give her lots of cuddles  ;)

Jenny x

Offline DandCmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 15:46:46 PM »
HI Jenny

My two boys had cat flu as kittens with runny nose and eyes and sneezes but are both fine now. We have had them living with us about 8 months now and apart from when Cartman had his vaccinations that caused a midl flare up (sneezing and runny eye for a few days) we have not had any problems. We sometimes get the odd sneeze and occasionally a bit of gunk in the eye but we just carefully clean that away. We keep an eye on their gums on advice from the vet but both seem to be fine!
Hope you enjoy your new arrival once he/she is fit and well enough to join you!

Abi x

Offline JennyLynn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
Thanks for that, its very helpful. I should know more about her condition form thursday after she has been re examined by the vet. The shelter did report sneezing and runny eyes so i think you are right and hopefully it is just a mild strain. Everything crossed for the little angels.

Jenny xxx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 23:48:24 PM »
There are lots of different strains of cat flu in the same way there are different strains of human flu. Some serious (and thankfully rare) ones can involve mouth ulcers and you will always see a good vet inspect the mouth to make sure when examining a cat flu suspect. The more serious strains can be really quite horrific and the mortality rate is high.  :( The more usual milder strains can show as runny/sticky eyes and or sneezing fits and are very easily treated with the correct antibiotic and cleaning regime. I feel certain your new cat has a mild strain as a kitten carrying a serious strain is often unlikely to survive.

It does not always follow that a cat that has had flu becomes a carrier, however when they are carriers they can 'shed' the virus again and have little flare ups which require treatment to manage such as in Oscar's case.

In all cases you should still vaccinate a flu carrier against cat flu as they will be protected from other more serious strains.  :)

Offline JennyLynn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 22:27:48 PM »
Thanks Dawn, Thats really good to know. I think certain illnesses cause a little bit of panic. I just want them all to recover and be able to go to their new homes, poor little loves.
one flare up doesnt sound too bad at all, bless little Oscar! I'm led to believe it tends to cause the eyes to run and some sneezing.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 17:31:21 PM »
my first ever cat with oh was a feral kitten he handreared that had cat flu, he lived until he was 14 without it ever bothering him again, although if it was cold he got the odd runny eye

one of my current cats Oscar is a cat flu carrier, he has only ever had one flare up after being neutered

Offline JennyLynn

• Adult Cat
Cat Flu
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 16:43:27 PM »
Sorry to ask something so general, but does anyone know much about the prognosis of cat flu in kittens? I've reserved a beautiful DSH at an animal rescue centre locally, called today to check progress after my home visit and was informed that all their cats are in quarantine due to an outbreak of cat flu  :(
I'm not put off by this, more concerned that when i am allowed to bring her home i have no experience dealing with cat flu and am not sure of the signs/ symptoms. I think its a virus that can recur, so could do with some advice if possible please.
Fingers crossed that all the cats are well soon.

Jenny

Link to CatChat