Author Topic: "perineal urethrostomy" (penis amputation) - Any advice?  (Read 9141 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: "perineal urethrostomy" (penis amputation) - Any advice?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 18:52:52 PM »
I would think its too early to be considering the op on the strength of two blockages (although obviously blockages are very serious and its a scary thing to happen I know :hug: ) - its very common for a 2nd blockage to happen almost immediately after a 1st one, and many cats wll never block again after a 1st or 2nd blockage.

I would be looking at diet - wet food only (not necessarily prescription), look at the ingredients - avoid anything with cereals, grains, soya (listed as vegetable proteins, derivatives of vegetable origin, vegetable protein extracts etc) or veggies. These don't have to be expensive diets - for instance Classic Cat Food by Butchers and Whiskas Supermeat do not contain cereals, bit low in meat content, but you could mix and match with the higher meat content, Hi Life real meat pouches, Bozita, Purely from PAH etc.

Struvite crystals form in alkaline urine, so higher meat wet food (or try a balanced raw diet) will ensure the urine is slightly acid without the need for prescription foods - and will prevent crystals from forming.  Also stress can cause an alkaline urine, so if stress is a possible cause, perhaps look at Feliway diffusers, and/or Zylkene. You could think about Cystaid/Cystease which helps to sooth the lining of the bladder.

My cat Ben blocked some years ago now, luckily he didn't block again - it was due to a combination of stress and dry diet - but I changed his diet to wet only, then to raw and had no further problems.

As you say, the op doesn't remove the cause, just prevents a dangerous blockage, and it is still early days for the diet to have any effect an any other issues such as stress, to be resolved.

All that said, my friend's cat had this op a long time ago because he continued to block (there wasn't the knowledge about the condition then as there is now) and he was fine afterwards.  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 17:04:28 PM »
glad you made it over here!  I knew these guys would know!

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 16:31:26 PM »
Try again.
Helen, Buster was 12 years old with a serious heart complaint when he had the op 13 years ago.I remember the hell of trying to get the debenyline in him and to stop him attacking us because of the sheer agony.He was in and out of vets for unblocking and all to no avail.
The terrible day came when the vet gave us the choice, operation or PTS, as I said previously Buster had a serious heart condition and was 12 years old, our vets had NEVER performed this operation, but you know there`s a first time for everything and Buster had fight in him.He was operated on a Friday afternoon and on Monday morning was given a pre med as vets said operation hadnt worked and further surgery needed, head vet nurse carried Buster from his cage to operating table and Buster bless him piddled all over her, a bit of relaxation was all that was needed not further surgery.Buster was hospitalised for 21 long days, nowadays the operation is very straightforward and cats are out in no time. Buster remained on Urinary support food for a further 10 years and never had a problem.He became the most loving wonderful President of Paws Inn until his death on 22 May 2008 aged 22 and a half years.
I remember telling Roz to be prepared for the shock of a naked back end with a drain hanging down, her cat had his op about 5 years ago and things were so much improved even then.
This operation seems scary but when Vet says it is needed my advice go for it; I certainly wouldnt hesitate and it gave us and Buster those wonderful 10 extra years together.
Good Luck.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 15:57:54 PM »
Simba is gorgeous..............missed pic the forst time lol

I hope he wont need the op but if he does Others experiences are positive  ;D

Offline Helen_B

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 15:50:37 PM »
Thanks for the link Gill! It's such a relief to hear that others have gone through the surgery and ended up just fine, it gives me hope for my little one.  :Luv:

His name is Simba  :wow:

Yes, fingers crossed the Hill's diet will do the trick. I imagine we will find out one way or another in the next few days or so but I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for him.

I will keep you all updated with his progress.

Teresa - I will look forward to reading your message later, thank you.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 15:09:59 PM »
Hi,
 :welcome:
Your cat is gorgeous .
I had a similar problem when i first got one of mine (Smartie) a number of years ago and this was discussed and my vet says its straight forward op - BUT he also went on the Hills diet a/d and eventually on to s/d (or that could be the other way round as can''t remember ) and i encouraged him to eat more wet food ( he will only eat Whiskers supermeat chicken and occasionally Rabbit in the tins .
Touch wood he has been fine for a good few years now -i think he was around 2-3 and he is now 13 .
Hope the Hills work for him  :hug: 

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 15:08:43 PM »
OK I typed a great long reply and got warning new reply posted you may wish to review your post; guess what my post vanished.

It was Buster who had this operation and then we were able to support Roz.

Helen will try and post again when I am on home laptop later today.Important thing is not to worry.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 15:06:44 PM »
Here is the only link there is and as Roz says all the old info was lost fron CC but her boy had the op and also it says Buster RIP who was Teresas cat and she should be able to help, he lived to a grand old age.

Looks like a few other members have had this op on their cats too

Here is the link

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,11348.msg191185.html#msg191185

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 14:58:58 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Sorry to heare about your cats problem and we have one member who had a male cat who had to be sex changed for same reason, dont know if the operation was the same as what you have mentioned.

I will try and search to see if the info is on this site cos it may have been when we were all on Cat Chat and all the old info was destroyed.

The members name is Roz and I will try and contact her if I cant find anything in search.

Lots of cuddles to your cat....whats his name?  :hug: :hug:

Offline Helen_B

• Kitten
"perineal urethrostomy" (penis amputation) - Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 14:46:31 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but was recommended by somebody who said that some of you may be able to help.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on this procedure? It's called a "perineal urethrostomy". Does anybody have a cat who has undergone this operation? If so how did you/he find it went?

My cat has blocked up with struvite crystals twice now in the last week, having to undergo an operation to flush out his tubes both times. Now as he is recovering after the second time round, vets have warned us that there could be a possibility of the problem recurring again and that we need to be prepared for this. :shy:

They have suggested this "penis amputation" as the next step (if the blockage occurs again in the next few days). From what I understand, the removal of the penis means that although the crystals may still form, they will not ever be able to block him up ever again as he will just be able to wee them out instead. It all sounds rather extreme but if it means making him better then I guess we don't have much choice.

I was hoping that somebody who might have been through the same thing with their cat would be able to give me an insight into the operation and what to expect.

I should add that since his first operation on Monday he has been on a diet of prescription Hills S/D wet food designed to acidify the urine and dissolve crystals (which obviously has not taken effect yet as he blocked up again straight away). He is also taking Dibenyline.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

:shy:

Link to CatChat