Author Topic: eeek ! fleas !  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
Re: eeek ! fleas !
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 23:01:58 PM »
Flea eggs can lay dormant for many months before heat or vibration stimulates them to hatch. The sooner you treat Monty and start measures to limit the infestation the  better. In one week one flea can turn into over 100.

I tried shampooing which will potentially kill the live fleas on the cat, but there will still be eggs in the carpet etc.

As others are saying you need to get proper treatments from a vet.
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 13:43:38 PM »
You are not so much trying to get rid of the few live adults but of the eggs, vacuuming and laundering will reduce the problem but it will not eliminate it entirely. My understanding is that these are difficult to kill/ remove entirely so you will need professional products as recommended by your vet or the lovely rescuers posting on this thread. I once moved into an infested property and it took three visits from the pro's over several months to eradicate the problem. With the benefit of hindsight we should have used strong chemicals much more quickly - we were told daily vacuuming plus our two week holiday would do the trick ... it didn't.  :censored:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 13:13:54 PM »
You will need to spray the environment (soft furnishings at least) too with a flea spray.  Best get something from the vet rather than pet shop etc.  You can now buy frontline from Asda.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 10:04:04 AM »
I would stick with combing rather than shampooing.

Once you've got the frontline on ... it is recommend to leave for 24 hours before combing again ...  then as often as possible really for as long as Monty will put up with it.  Remember fleas will always be close to the skin so if Monty is long haired you have to make sure you are brushing his undercoat as well as just skimming the top coat.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:23:21 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline nekoxchan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 23:57:37 PM »
Ah okay.
Do you think I should try use a shampoo or comb as many off as possible before using something like frontline ?

Because it's a repellent not a flea killer ?

I read somewhere that fleas don't like citrus (dunno if it's true) but I'm trying it out !
Obviously I haven't put any on Monty, but I've put loads of drops on my bed, pillows, me ! and I also heard that cats don't like citrus so hopefully I can hope Monty won't jump on my bed in the night and spread the bloody things further !!

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 23:45:21 PM »
Get the flea treatment done ASAP.

Either frontlne or stronghold will do. Some people are finding though that frontline is no longer working.

Each flea needs a blood meal before it can lay eggs, but each flea has the potential of laying loads of eggs so the problem can escalate quickly.
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline nekoxchan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 22:53:48 PM »
Thank you for your advice everyone !
I had to dash out to work a few hours ago but before I went I took him into the bathroom and combed him through and found 2 or 3 adult fleas and plunged the butter into hot soapy water so that sorted those out.

I imagine there are still lots left so I will get up bright and early tomorrow, give the vets a call and see if they can recommend a flea filling shampoo or something because I'm sure there are loads more in there.

The vet checked his coat and everything but as Monty's fur is long I guess he didn't see anything ?

Also what should I do about myself itching ?
I was going to just take a hot shower and wash all of my clothes.
I will hoover round tomorrow I guess and change my bedding.
There is a chemist across my road that sell frontline so I'll grab some of that.

Thanks again !

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 21:03:33 PM »
Not sure if I have missed another post somewhere but here are my thoughts.

1 a reputable breeder vaccinates their kittens before selling them.
2 Surely your vet checked Monty`s coat for signs of fleas? this is all part of a thorough examination which should be done prior to vaccination.
3 You need flea treatment from your vet not the chemist.
I would be straight back to vets when they open.

Please dont be so trusting of others where your cats health is concerned, even question your vet when necessary.

Teresa ... most Chemists nowadays sell vetinary medicine  including Frontline

I know thanks Sam, just cant understand a vet not treating there and then.

Anyway am sure little Monty will soon be right fine  :hug: Fleas are like nits no shame in catching them but shame in keeping them  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 20:46:27 PM »

2 Surely your vet checked Monty`s coat for signs of fleas? this is all part of a thorough examination which should be done prior to vaccination.

Please dont be so trusting of others where your cats health is concerned, even question your vet when necessary.

Teresa ... most Chemists nowadays sell vetinary medicine  including Frontline
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 20:47:46 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 20:38:18 PM »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 20:36:38 PM »
  ;) fear not ... we've all had fleas and I'm sure we will all get them again. 

Did you're vet recomend a flea treatment?  A spot on treatment like frontline is the best (you can buy this from your vets or most chemists also sell it). 

I would also invest in a flea comb .... a metal toothed one is best (pets at home sll good ones).  It's good to get into the habit of combing...not just to catch fleas but also just to remove dead hair (saves your little one having to ingest all the fur and cough up hair ball).  My lot all LOVE being combed and it now part of our evening ritual.  I run the bath and they all come into the bthroom and have a comb.  Remember fleas like to hid in difficult to reach places (behind the ears, under the chin and at the base of tail are key places).  A hand tip is too have your hot water tap running or have a bowl of hot water to hand so if you do catch a flea in the comb you can plunge it straight into hot water and kill it.  Fleas are very quick.

I would give his bedding a good wash and a good hoover round and you shold be OK.

Offline nekoxchan

• Adult Cat
eeek ! fleas !
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 20:06:38 PM »
So it turns out my breeder must have been lying about having Monty flead, I've noticed him scratching alot recently and after a close inspection of his coat, I found 2 fleas squirming about.

Really not impressed with the breeder at all, why lie ?! Ugh !

So anyway he's been for his first of his inoculations today at the vets and the vet gave me worming tablets for him so I will sort that in the next few days.

What steps should I take from here ?
I know I should wash all his bedding, my bedding, my clothes and hoover etc.
But until I can get to the chemist tomorrow is there nothing I can do for him ?
I hate the idea of the butter just mooching about his coat :/

Any advice ?
Also, now I've found them I've noticed I'm itching lots too :/

ox

Link to CatChat