Author Topic: Vaccination question  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Vaccination question
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:02:07 AM »
The type of vaccine should be on the certificate, Desley. It does seem a long time, doesn't it?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »
That's interesting, i have always been told a week - maybe my vet uses a different vaccine.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 03:12:34 AM »
Back again.

The Tricat is fully effect 4 weeks after vaccination, whereas the Nobivac FeLV is effective 2 weeks after vaccination.

Thanks for letting me know where to find the info. Looks like the cats will have to wait a while before they can mingle. Poor Fred, he's itching to get to know the younger cats.  :Luv:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:59:14 AM »
Thanks Fluffybunny. According to the certificates they've had Nobivac Tricat Trio and Nobivac FeLV. Will google these and get back asap.

I wasn't 100% happy with Fred and Vic being revaccinated and thought boosters would be okay, on the other hand, the "new" cats have had flu and I don't know their Flv status (and don't like testing). So I decided to go with the whole vaccination. After this, they'll all be allowed out again when the vaccines have taken and the cats have acclimatised to each other. I don't booster cats who go out on the basis that they're naturally boostered by coming into contact with nasties other cats have.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 18:29:09 PM »
Exactly which vaccination have they been given? 

For instance the nobivac tricat datasheet says that onset of immunity is 4 weeks: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Tricat_Trio/-49479.html

If you type into google the exact details of the vaccination they've had (I'd have thought it would be on their vacc certificate) and the follow it with NOAH, it should bring up the manufacturer's datasheet on the official database, like the one I've linked to above.  On the 'uses' tab it should tell you how soon after vaccination immunity develops, although I'm not sure if it will be helpful or not when looking at the first 'double' vaccination :Crazy:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 18:30:20 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Vaccination question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 03:15:45 AM »
Fred and Victoria, who've been with me for a few years, have just been re-vaccinated as it had been two years since their last jabs and the vet insisted upon beginning again. I'm taking on four other cats, ferals I've been caring for in a spare room, but have decided to keep. They've had the first dose of their jabs.

Do I have to wait a few weeks after the "new" cats have finished their course of vaccinations for them to be safely covered? Or are they immediately okay from the time they leave the vets?

I have some vague memory of my previous vet telling me to wait for two weeks for the vaccines to be fully effective.

I would be grateful if someone could shed light on this.  :thanks:

Link to CatChat