Author Topic: medicine chest for cats  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: medicine chest for cats
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 15:08:20 PM »
Egg lecithin....great to really shift furrballs, better than any malt paste

Where do you get your egg lecithin from? I could only find one supplier online (all the others seem to be soya lecithin) and it was pretty expensive for the bottle of capsules I brought - it was Nature's Plus brand.

I also keep slippery elm powder, rescue remedy, a number of different homeopathic remedies, some herbal remedies (and yes I have done my research into safe herbals for cats  ;) ), Lacto B probiotic, nutriplus gel and more stuff I'm sure!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 02:13:07 AM »
Common salt: it's the safest antiseptic for a cat when mixed with boiled water which has returned to room temperature; just a quarter of a level tablespoon in a mug of water.

The phone number of a good emergency vet (not vetsnow).

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 19:22:10 PM »
I have a pack of those litter tray plastic ball thiniges so that if either of them looks as if they have a urine infection I can grab a sample before taking kitty to the vets thus hopefully avoiding two trips!

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 18:00:37 PM »
Ha Ha, I must have every supplement known to mankind!
Some of my favourites...
Slippery Elm Bark Powder....great for upset tums, loose stool or constipation
Pro-kolin....upset tums
Egg lecithin....great to really shift furrballs, better than any malt paste
Pepsid AC....I have a cat with pancreatitis and this really helps, also good for CRF cats or constant pukers
Fortiflora...actually a veterinary probiotic, but I use it to tempt a fussy appetite
Digital thermometer...used in the ear, not other end!
Blood Glucose monitor...ok it is for the diabetic cat, but a raised BG is an early sign of illness in a cat

There must be more....will check the cupboards later!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 17:19:45 PM »
I've got a medicine chest for my feral kittens. I don't keep meds per se but little bits of equipment are invaluable - a tick spanner, a long range of measured syringe feeders, oil free baby wipes and sensitive medical gloves for handling infected kittens. etc. Think there's also a bottle of Frontline spray for weeny babies with flea troubles.  :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
medicine chest for cats
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 16:43:11 PM »
lots of different remedies and drugs are recommended on Purrs

just wondering what would be considered a basic medicine chest for cats - things like Cystease, appetite stimulants etc would be useful to have to hand, especially for cats which hate the vet

I know home medication is not a substitute for a good veterinary opinion,  but not all of us have vets we have a lot of faith in
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat