Author Topic: Sleeping issues !!  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Sleeping issues !!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 02:29:55 AM »
For the biting and scratching: distract him.

First, say a firm "NO!" then throw something to the opposite side of the room. He'll stop thinking about biting or scratching and become interested in his new game.

At 8 weeks he's still going through the process of learning to hunt via play; if you move your fingers, though you might not realise you're doing it, in a provocative manner, he thinks you want him to "catch" you. Mother cats do this by wagging their tails. Mother cats also chew off the whiskers of any kitty that gets too boisterous, though I'm not suggesting you do that.  :rofl:

Are you playing with him lots? Use the kind of toys which you hold away from yourself, like the "fishing rod" type, or "da bird".

Generally sounds like he has masses of energy and wants an outlet for it. This will help him sleep better too.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 00:14:47 AM »
Valerian root. Sold at naturist stores.
Its used to cure insomnia for humans.
Some drops in the cat's water, or make him inhale it or rub it in the chest area. Or do the 3.
Its magic! but don't inhale it yourself or you will be asleep too.
Which may also be great so you don't wake up that easily with new kitten lol.

Offline nekoxchan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 21:28:29 PM »
Thank you Sam !
I will try this also !

If he gets too rough and boisterous I leave the room. Then I return a few minutes later and he's the same lovely cuddly and soppy kitty I saw the first time !

Thanks for the tips !

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 21:03:41 PM »
if he bites (chews you) blow inhis face. (A short sharp shock usually works)  This will stop him in his tracks.  If you can manage a hiss that's also good.  Have a look at this thread as someone else had this problem:  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,31414.0.html.

If he is chasing your hands and getting all bitey and scrachy you need to let your hand go limp (not always easy with razor sharp little claws in your skin) and stop the game straight away.  The worst thing you can do is pull your hand away quickly as his claws will tear through your skin and he will think this is a great game to continue.  It's also a good idea getting him used to having his claws clipped ... the earlier you can start doing this the better for everyone involved.  You just need to take the sharp points off.  If you aren't sure how to do this your vet will show you or there is advice on one of the threads on here.  Search on "claw clipping" from the home page.

He needs to learn good manners and if he wasy playing with his siblings and things got a bit rough they would hiss at each other to say "enough".

Have you seen these thread on "kittens" ... lots of really useful general kitten info in them.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4790.0.html
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4931.0.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 21:19:45 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline nekoxchan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 20:04:15 PM »
Yes, I don't mind at all being awoken early, I get at 6am for work most days anyway so that's not a problem.

He has a carrier that he sleeps in (I bought him a bed but he doesn't use it !) so I will try putting him in there after a good long play session.
He also tends to be quite bitey and scratchy at the moment, what can I do to prevent the biting ?
I don't mind it and it doesn't hurt but I'm just concerned that when he is older it WILL hurt !

Dand: I'm afraid I don't have any spare bedrooms at all upstairs !

Thanks again !

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 19:49:17 PM »
You could try putting Monty in his own bed ... a cardboard box with an old towel in works just as well as a "fancy expensive bed".  If you have someone in your room that you can put this you can put monty in at bed time and with any luck he'll adopt it as his.  I would also try tiring him out before bedtime .... a good play session before you go up will mean he is ore likely to sleep.  Of course he will still probably wake you up at first light ... but that's what cats do! ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 18:30:00 PM »
In my experience, this is normal behaviour for kittens: they are lively and adventurous and want to be with you. Minnie, one of the few cats I've had as a kitten (not counting ferals, who came with mum, or big brother and sister) would even try to play with the end of a pencil as it wiggled while I wrote.

They get better as they grow up, usually. Apart from putting Monty in another safe room for the night, there's not much you can do. Even then, you're likely to hear him playing, or scratching at the door.

But surely this is why you had a kitten - because they are lively and playful?  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 18:31:51 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline DandCmum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 16:03:32 PM »
Im not an expert but when we first got our 2 cats they were about 4 months old. We gave them a seperate room in the house that was their room and at night we would put them in their and close the door. They had all their toys, scratch post litter tray water etc and that seemed to help them settle down as it was their own space. Do you have a spare room that you could enclose him off in at night so that he settles down? not that they are older they have free rome but we still get the odd night(s) were they run around chasing one another which usually end with them jumping on us  :tired:

Abi, Dexter and Cartman

Offline nekoxchan

• Adult Cat
Sleeping issues !!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 13:10:34 PM »
I've had my 8 week old kitten monty for a few days now.
I've tried several things to settle him down for sleep easier and I'm running out of ideas !
He is staying in my room for now as we have a dog and I'm waiting 'till he settles in 'till I start slowly introducing them to one another.

The first night I was up 'till 1am trying to tire him out so he would go to sleep ! Eventually he did but on my pillow next to me (which is not exactly what I want as it's not fair on my boyfriend who has slight allergies !)
The second night my boyfriend stayed over and suggested sectioning off an area in my bedroom with his food, bed, litter tray etc but that was no good because he kept escaping and jumping up on to my bed, or he would just meow like crazy and scratch at the sides.
Eventually every time he would jump onto my bed I would put him on the floor again near his bed, eventually he grew tired of this and fell asleep and slept right through 'till 6am!

Obviously my boyfriend isn't happy as Monty kept him awake a large portion of the night.
Wondering if anyone has any tips ?
Somebody said about a hot water bottle to represent the heat from his brothers and sisters ?

Any others ??
Thanks !!

Amber & Monty

Link to CatChat