Author Topic: Products to get rid of fleas on a nursing queen and 1 week old kittens?  (Read 4669 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Products to get rid of fleas on a nursing queen and 1 week old kittens?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 23:45:55 PM »
Fire Fox, you said you had the pro's out, can you tell me more about this? Was it expensive?

Thanks so much :)

This was in the nineties but I don't recall thinking it was expensive. I do remember thinking that shop bought flea powder was going to cost a bomb as one container only did one room!! I also remember being desperate - once I had found the odd one in my bed I didn't want to live in that house anymore!  :-[ The professional came out with stuff in one of those large pump-up sprayers you can use to kill weeds or greenfly, and did the whole house, every last corner then we had to leave it two weeks before vacuuming. Some councils can help, even if they charge you can trust that the price is fair and they won't scam you.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 23:09:33 PM »
You need to use Indorex or Acclaim flea spray for house.  That is what vet will be talking about although it's not prescription only so you can buy online which will be cheaper than vet.  It's more expensive than useless stuff at Pets at Home but at least it works.

Vet applied spot on flea/worming treatment on our 8 week old rescued kitten who was crawling with fleas when he arrived Saturday am (I had sprayed his room with Acclaim and aired it before his arrival)  Only dead fleas by Sunday afternoon.

Offline JazzieTheCat

• Adult Cat
    • Jazzie The Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 22:00:02 PM »
Just to update:

The front line has been re-applied 4 times now, despite the fact it's supposed to last for months. The first few times it was applied with a cloth, but this last time, sprayed directly (seems to have worked for now).

We asked the vet again, since you could pick up a kitten, turn it over, and see 3 - 4 fleas run up it's belly - it is very distressing to see this.

The vet seems to think the fleas live on the Queen, and the spray hadn't worked on 'mum', so told us to come pick up some spot on, which we did.

We applied the spot on, yet for the last couple of days, I still see the fleas jumping from her head. I even saw one on her whisker yesterday.

We purchased a couple of cans of 'Johnsons' house flea spray. Done the whole house. Doesn't seem to have worked - I still have bites on my ankle. Although, we told the vet this, and she said that the only spray that works is one we should buy from them, as all the ones from 'Pets at Home' and other stores are useless. So the carpet spray didn't work.

Fire Fox, you said you had the pro's out, can you tell me more about this? Was it expensive?

Thanks so much :)

Please comment on my blog to help me name our 5 new kittens Click Here. :)

Click for free donations to cat shelters

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
Only just seen this.

During my years doing rescue I have been unlucky enough to come across kittens who have died as a result of flea anaemia, unless treated properly your kittens are at grave risk.Your queen will also be riddled with tapeworm and therefore not providing proper nutrients for herself and babies. Take them to a vet for treatment without delay.
As has been mentioned your house will need treatment maybe your vet would be kind enough to house mum and babies during short time this will take.
Vet can also advise you on subsequent treatments and worming which should commence when kittens are between 3 and 4 weeks.

There is excellent advive to be found on Purrs but it is not a substitute for a vet.

I apologise if this sounds harsh, its not meant to ( I am currently grieving) however this is very serious.

FWIW I don't think you came over harshly either, Teresa, just being clear that the situation is potentially serious. It is obvious Jazzie cares but few of us slaves have the breadth of experience you have! Sometimes it's tough to know whether one should go through the trauma of a vet visit but I'd definitely post here for supportive, honest advice such as yours.  :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Sounds like you're on the right track now.  :)

For the house I recommend Indorex which you can also get from the vet. Have a good hoover first (chuck away bag immediately and properly clean out hoover afterwards as flea eggs can hatch in the dustbag). Then shut all the cats out of the room you are treating then spray around the edges of the carpets and skirting boards and crevices of furniture etc. It's powerful stuff so beware of the fumes. It's easy to get carried away so do it in stages or you'll end up flying and bum you're head on the ceiling.  :rofl:

It's not a cheap product but will protect your house for 6 months or so. Personally I only bother with mine once a year... but I also regularly use Stronghold on the cats and dog so never let it get that far.  ;)

Offline JazzieTheCat

• Adult Cat
    • Jazzie The Cat
Only just seen this.

During my years doing rescue I have been unlucky enough to come across kittens who have died as a result of flea anaemia, unless treated properly your kittens are at grave risk.Your queen will also be riddled with tapeworm and therefore not providing proper nutrients for herself and babies. Take them to a vet for treatment without delay.
As has been mentioned your house will need treatment maybe your vet would be kind enough to house mum and babies during short time this will take.
Vet can also advise you on subsequent treatments and worming which should commence when kittens are between 3 and 4 weeks.

There is excellent advive to be found on Purrs but it is not a substitute for a vet.

I apologise if this sounds harsh, its not meant to ( I am currently grieving) however this is very serious.

It's not harsh at all Teresa, in fact, I had full intention of going to the vet in the first place - I just wanted to see if I could get some quick advice in the mean time.

Spoke to the vet receptionist yesterday about making an appointment, what the problem was, do they have tape-worm etc.

She spoke to the vet and called me back. She told me that we need not bring the kittens and Jazzie in - even though I asked twice to make an appointment.

I think the concern was the difficulty of bringing in all 5 kittens + Jazzie. Anyway - the vet said to use frontline spray, and got some in for us. She also said to use it on 'mum' and for ease of use, apply it with a cloth if it's too hard to spray on.

I asked again about worms. She said that Jazzie is actually due for another 'worming', and the kittens were due for one now, as they are 2 weeks old. Again, she said not to bring them in, but to pick up the medication tomorrow, before 12pm.

I forget the name of what she said it was - I think it is pancur. One for kitties, one for Jazzie. It's a paste with graduated doses.

So, thanks for your help everyone, and I'm glad you told me about the worm issues.

And sorry Angie - I would have purchased from you, but I wanted it quickly.

I'm actually very impressed with the vet - she could have quite easily have told me to come in and spend £30+ for the visit plus whatever else for administering. But, she actually offered to talk to the vet and ring back, twice.  :)

Thanks again everyone. I'll have to think of a way to treat the house. Perhaps a family member can cat-sit for a couple of days.

For treating the house, is using the smoke bombs the best way?

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 17:06:07 PM by JazzieTheCat »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Only just seen this.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat

Thanks Mark - much appreciated.

Getting things muddled up - the spot on was Bob Martin. Long day  :Crazy:

Shall I just stick with combing them out until kitties are a little older? I think Jazzie will just lick the spray off them anyway.

The longer you leave it the worse your home will be infested, speaking from experience (moved into a flea-ridden house  :sick: ) they can be a nightmare to clear. We had the professionals out three times!! If there are a lot of fleas in your home, no amount of combing will stop the kittens being bitten.  :'(
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Bob Martin.

Please don't use these. The internet is full of stories where people say their cat died or was very ill after being treated with it. At best, they are useless.

The other thing is if a cat has fleas, chances are it has tapeworm. I think Panacur if the one that is safe for kittens - hopefuly someone can confirm which is safest.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
frontline spray from vets. frontline spot on cheaper on line - you can use the link on our website  :briggin:

www.coventrycatgroup.org.uk

Offline JazzieTheCat

• Adult Cat
    • Jazzie The Cat
You can use frontline spray* on kittens from 2 days but for the time being, a flea comb should get rid of most of them. Keep a bowl of warm water nearby with a couple of drops of washing up liquid mixed in. This breaks the surface tension of the water so when you put the fleas in, they will sink. They will jump out of plain water.

Not sure which spot on you used before but Drontal is a worming tablet  :-:

*only available from vets

Thanks Mark - much appreciated.

Getting things muddled up - the spot on was Bob Martin. Long day  :Crazy:

Shall I just stick with combing them out until kitties are a little older? I think Jazzie will just lick the spray off them anyway.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
You can use frontline spray* on kittens from 2 days but for the time being, a flea comb should get rid of most of them. Keep a bowl of warm water nearby with a couple of drops of washing up liquid mixed in. This breaks the surface tension of the water so when you put the fleas in, they will sink. They will jump out of plain water.

Not sure which spot on you used before but Drontal is a worming tablet  :-:

*only available from vets
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 17:06:55 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JazzieTheCat

• Adult Cat
    • Jazzie The Cat
frontline spot on for mum - safe for nursing queens.

Thanks Angie. From vet only? Doesn't seem available at 'Pets At Home'. Thanks.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
frontline spot on for mum - safe for nursing queens.

Offline JazzieTheCat

• Adult Cat
    • Jazzie The Cat
Products to get rid of fleas on a nursing queen and 1 week old kittens?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 16:31:10 PM »
Hello,

The last couple of days we've seen a flea or two in Jazzies basket, and on one of the kittens.

I'm worried now, as I'm sure flea bites to a kitten can lead to complications.

We were using 'Drontal' on Jazzies neck before, but of course stopped when she became pregnant.

Yes, I'll be visiting the vet today or tomorrow, but thought I'd ask here first.

All products I've seen for flea removal cannot be used on kittens under 8 weeks.

Plus, of course I'd be worried about Jazzie simply licking it off anyway, as she's always cleaning the kitties. And, I'd really worry about the kittens getting poisoned.

I'm guessing the vet can give me something, but until then, can any of you suggest a way to get rid of the fleas?

Thanks so much everyone :)

Link to CatChat