Author Topic: Clapton having his last 2 teeth out on Monday (that I didn't know he had!)  (Read 16685 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Glad he is improving and eating more.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Well  I can confirm its sunny in Oxford atm so hopefully Dennis can enjoy the sights lol!

There was no sightseeing to do  :evillaugh:

They were going to do some work, followed by dinner. They have booked a conference room at the hotel and will work until 4pm then all make their way home. I suppose some might stay on but OH will be heading straight home.

Dennis said he will make the next one is nearer home. Faversham is top of the list (15 minutes from here  :evillaugh: ). They can do the brewery tour (Shepherd Neame), followed by a 4 course dinner with a matching beer  :evillaugh:

This time it was to suit suit that live North of London - ie MK & Northampton, but it will be the Southerners turn the next time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:57:24 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 ;D so glad to hear this, hope things keep improving :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
He is quite perky this morning. He has sampled 4 different foods but flinching. Annoyingly I don't have any Whiskas senior in gravy as it is nice and soft. He went off it a while ago. I found a random pouch but I will have to go out and get some more. I will have to go soon as parking here in the summer is a nightmare. I will have to get to Sainsburys before the daytrippers arrive.

His demeanour is so different this morning. So much so, that I am quite happy to leave him for an hour or so without worrying.  :)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Way to go Clapton !!  :wow: :Luv:

:hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks everyone  :hug:

OH is texting me instructions on how Clapton prefers to be petted - as if I didn't know  :Crazy:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Sorry not posted before  :hug: Just read all the way through - what a rollercoaster! So glad he's starting to eat a bit now though, keep it up Clapton  :Luv2:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Mark.  Clapton has got me up and down like a yo yo   :-:  :hug: 

Couldn't think what to post earlier and just hoped for some mprovement tomorrow.  I'll now sleep better tonight in the certain knowledge that that is enough food to see him OK through the night.

He WILL be much improved tomorrow.  I can just feel it  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
It obviously is still sore as he keeps flinching away. He drank half of the Cimicat so I have made more. He is even flinching with that. He had 2 bites of a sheba pouch. I have just warmed a sheba tray and hope he eats some. I am beginning to lose hope.  :(

ETA - not long after I typed the last post. I saw Clapton sitting in the hallway where he usually waits for food  ;D

I warmed a tray of Sheba terrine and for the first time in a week, he really went for it  :) - he has only managed about 1/2 and some is on the floor but he really did have a good go.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 22:37:33 PM by Mark »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Well  I can confirm its sunny in Oxford atm so hopefully Dennis can enjoy the sights lol!

I'm glad Clapton has eaten something , lets hope his little mouth is less sore tomorrow :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Great news! I'd spoil him for a few days to keep things going and build his appetite back up  ;)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Brilliant that he's eaten  ;D ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Well he has eaten 60g of Turkey a la Ipakitine  :) - I will give it a break now as I don't want him bringing it up.

I will go up there for a nap to keep him company in a minute  :Luv2:

I feel sorry for OH who was convinced he wasn't going to make it through the night - OH does agree that one of us has to be hard-nosed about these things (that is my job  :evillaugh: )

Dennis left at 1.30pm to go on a work awayday (staying in Oxford the night before) but at least I have been able to text good news  :) - Obviously the next stage is to give him something with vitamins etc in. Then work up to renal.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Aw he's being such a brave lad, please give Clapton a big cuddle from me  :Luv2:

Hope he fancies something to eat a bit later on  :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
my last resort with a very fussy Siamese was plaice fillets - the side without the skin

it seems to be a very soft fish

with Trigger it is the little tins of John West Dressed Crab - very intense flavour and smell, and totally mushed
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Poor Clapton, sometimes after anaesthetics the appetite can go, hopefully he'll soon start to pick up. 

Does he like the Hi-Life pates? mine love those and they would be soft although I'm having trouble getting them atm.

Mine also love the Coop food in the foil trays or may be a bit of salmon? it's awful trying to get them to eat though  :(

hopefully he'll feel like some of his favourite chicken later  :hug:

He doesn't like the Hi-life pates which is a shame. I very nearly got some in Asda - they are 4 for £1 in there. I got him some Sheba trays and a couple of Tetra-paks of Top-life that Gillian mentioned. I am not even going to try my luck with any renal food until he is eating properly.

I have tried the co-op foils but none of them will touch them  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks Kirst  :hug:

The vet came while I was out so OH dealt with him/it. Apparently, he had a metacam shot +another shot of something OH can't remember the name of, which is a Morphine-type painkiller (but not Morphine) he said it sounded like Ecko something? - He also left oral metacam for emergency use only.

He thinks it is pain rather than appetite that is preventing him from eating.

He also looked at Clappy's mouth and said it was still a bit bloody. He said it isn't surprising given what he went through - but it was necessary. He said it should take a few hours before he wants to eat. We are to phone them again if he isn't eating by tomorrow, although no idea what will happen then.

Anyway, I have his special Turkey but I will wait until he has got over his visit. I think if I push it on him too early, it could be a mistake.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:20:42 PM by Mark »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
I don't really have any advice Mark , sorry , just wanted to say you , OH and Clapton are in my thoughts and prayers xxx :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Poor Clapton, sometimes after anaesthetics the appetite can go, hopefully he'll soon start to pick up. 

Does he like the Hi-Life pates? mine love those and they would be soft although I'm having trouble getting them atm.

Mine also love the Coop food in the foil trays or may be a bit of salmon? it's awful trying to get them to eat though  :(

hopefully he'll feel like some of his favourite chicken later  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
He isn't eating anything today  :(

He is curled up under the bed. We had high hopes as he was following us around first thing - but now he is curled up under the bed.

We have dozens of different foods and he won't touch any of them. I am leaving it for a bit a he is getting upset. I am getting ready and will phone the vet to see if I can get a home visit. OH is home this morning so I am going to drive to Canterbury to get his favourite food in the world - Asda butter basted turkey breast - it has no additives. He will even devour it dusted in binders. I have tried Tesco and Sainsbury's version but they don't have the same effect. I tried the Kerry one last week and he wouldn't touch it - he normally folls me around crying for more with the Asda one. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

When willow was dying we bought a/d to force feed her.We offered some to clapton them and he wouldn't touch it - I will try it again though. Ditto with liquivite.

I made up some Cimicat this morning and he won't touch that either.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
So pleased he managed to eat more last night Mark and hoping he's back to normal this morning  :hug:

Last night I was looking for my posts when Freddie had most of his teeth out as I think I'm right that it took a couple of days before he started eating normally.  It was October 2006 though so just pre Purrs so I'll have posted on Catchat....

I know this will all have been a bit of a nightmare for you, Dennis and poor Clapton of course so sending you all a  :hug: each

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Mark, it might be worth asking the vet for some a/d, very few cats can resist it. They also wouldnt be able to give both a steroid and a Metacam jab, so I would ask which they think will help him more, and I would be swaying towards a steriod jab as he has had Metacam already. I remember when Snowy had all her teeth out (my first toothless cat), I put her biscuits through the food processor and mixed that in with wet food, do you think you could do that with his renal biscuits?
Please spay your cat

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
 :) thats great news Mark! brava Clapton!......i bet he will get a lot better in no time! :Luv2:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton

See he would like some fizzt drinks and sweets...that's what I had when I was 9 and had to have a broken baby tooth removed. I went completely against my dentists advice cos I was going to a disco...but I felt a hell of a lot better ;)

I remember when I was about 5. I thought it would be a great idea to take a broom onto a slide. I put the handle in my mouth and went down the slide  :Crazy: - After smashing the roof of my mouth and having my mouth washed out with liquid paraffin - apparently the only way they could stem the bleeding. Anyway, my mum asked me what I wanted - which was a sweet necklace  :evillaugh: - I remember it so clearly  :evillaugh:

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Sounds like his pain must be easing...YAY :)

See he would like some fizzt drinks and sweets...that's what I had when I was 9 and had to have a broken baby tooth removed. I went completely against my dentists advice cos I was going to a disco...but I felt a hell of a lot better ;)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
He just had a proper go at some food  ;D

He winced a few times but was determined. He only managed about 1/3rd of a Sheba pate tray but that is good  :) - he even wolfed down the chunk with his benazecare in - I never would have got away with it with a fortekor boulder.

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
When Mollie was run over, her jaw was wired back together, she couldnt eat as her mouth was a mess....we offered her watered down food and she licked up/ ate tiny tiny bits of food..it was a worrying time ...she did manage to drink...sleep/rest is a great healer too....I am sure this lad will pull through he has a lot of positive prayers coming his way :) xxxxxxx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
gums heal pretty quickly as long as they dont get infected.....and if the lad is drinking and resting im sure he will perk up soon.....prayers for this specail boy.....and hugs to you both too xxx :hug:

I think the issue here is the infection went to the bone. The vet had to put a powder on to prevent the bones getting worse. I was surprised they only charged for a complex dental. (The surgery part of the bill was £95)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
sorry to hear about Clapton not doing so well.     Candie my CRF cat was given mirtazapine to get her to eat.     It did help for a while  :hug:

I really don't think he has appetite issues - I'm sure it is just where his mouth is sore, although with not eating for so long, his appetite has been affected.

He looked like a chipmunk still this morning but it has gone down during the day - I am really hoping he wakes up hungry and able to eat in the morning. He is trying but just seems to shake it around and the food goes all over the place. I am sure it is the swelling & tenderness.

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
gums heal pretty quickly as long as they dont get infected.....and if the lad is drinking and resting im sure he will perk up soon.....prayers for this specail boy.....and hugs to you both too xxx :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Will Clapton drink cat milk Mark?  

It gives him the runs at the best times so I can't risk him being dehydrated. I am guessing that the vet will give him Metacam and a steroid jab tomorrow. I am really hoping he will be eating by them so we don't have to put him through all that.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
sorry to hear about Clapton not doing so well.     Candie my CRF cat was given mirtazapine to get her to eat.     It did help for a while  :hug:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Yes he is drinking which I said to OH is the most important thing, although he can't survive for long on water alone.

The seagulls think it is christmas - I have opened about 15 different foods today  :Crazy:

I have one Tesco finest shredded chicken tin + some posh sheba domes to tempt him with. His absolute favourite thing which is probably the worst thing for him is Pork.

I got an email saying my Zooplus order was despatched today - anyone know how long it will take?

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Will Clapton drink cat milk Mark?  Its not ideal, but its definitely a good way to get some nutrients into him is he's only eating a little at the moment.

I wonder if the vet could give him a steroid to kick-start his appetite again?  I have no idea on their effect with CRF though, sorry, not very helpful  :-[  :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Mark have you tried Cat Milk or goats milk I know we have used both when they aren't eating

Also evapourated milk and tuna in spring water blitzed up works a treat to for those not wanting to eat more lap it down

:hug:s to you and Dennis and of course Clapton
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
healing vibes Mark..is he drinking?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
He has barely eaten today. He ate a bit of Tesco finest tuna (complete meal) just now. I have been trying to let OH know that he is in final stages and it sank in tonight. OH said he was on the bed and Clapton came and sat on his chest. He started crying which led to a coughing fit and Clapton had to get off. He had almost convinced himself that Clapton won't last the night. I said he is fine and once his mouth is better there is no reason he can't be well for some time. As Clapton is OHs cat really, I had to repeat what the vet told me the other day; "You will have to know when to let go" - it isn't fair on me or OH to keep these things to myself.

Anyway, unless he eats reasonably by the morning, I will take him back to the vet. He can't exist on so little food.

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
awww Mark, give him a gentle snuzzle from me...poor baby..... :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I had the hand blender out last night to blend him some Sheba Essences Chicken (normally his favourite). He just hates RC & Hill's renal. I still buy them but about 11 1/2 out of 12 pouches get wasted. Until he is eating properly, I will just have to let him eat whatever he fancies. Even when he is on form he doesn't like renal food. Although I ordered lots of German brands yesterday, I will order some purina & Eukanuba renal today as in the past I have had better luck with them - even then it is hit or miss. It is really frustrating.

I have been on the phone to Vetoquinol UK today to find out if I can buy Azodyl (It is supposed to reduce Creatinine & Urea levels) anywhere in the UK. She said it isn't being sold in Europe at all. I told her that I have seen it on eBay for £25 + £25 delivery. She said to bear in mind that it needs to be kept chilled so isn't sure how effective it would be by the time it arrived. After looking at Tanya's CRF site, I have found out it is a probiotic but enteric coated. I am trying to find the same strains in a brand available in the UK. They are enteric coated but I can buy empty enteric capsules on eBay. As it is, it says on Tanya's site that they Azodyl is sold in No1 size capsules which are huge, so probably wouldn't be any good anyway.

Luckily there is a nutrition centre about a 3 minute walk from here so I am going down there in a while. I also need to get Marine sourced pharmaceutical grade Omega EPA & DHA. I found the brand the the American vet recommended on the youtube video but in the UK, it only comes in Apple, Berry or Lemon flavours  :tired:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
I am probably teaching you to suck eggs here... but have you thought about liquidising the sachet of the renal?
(I remember the RC tuna was one of Metoo's favourites).

Link to CatChat