Author Topic: Oscar @ vet...swallowed chicken bone  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Oscar @ vet...swallowed chicken bone
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 15:40:59 PM »
Hugs to Oscar  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 13:00:41 PM »
Glad he's ok and hadn't swallowed the bone.   Hopefully he will have learnt his lesson but somehow I doubt it!

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
Well, Oscar's at home...had several enormous poos last night  :sick: so endeared himself to the nursing staff!  :P  Cried all the way home, but had a little treat and seems a bit subdued but ok. Sammy keeps hissing at him, prob because he smells strange being at the vets, so is on a time out; I'm to keep a close eye on him for a couple days to make sure all is ok.

Bill wasn't cheap (xrays are expensive!), but worth it knowing he's ok.

Thanks everyone for your support and for cheering me up! And Oscar sez thanks too!

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 08:45:10 AM »
 :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 23:27:36 PM »
Glad he hadn't swallowed it, but better safe than sorry  :hug:

Sorry but Helen's comment reminded me of a card I was sent once.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 23:29:43 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 23:00:26 PM »
How worrying for you  :hug: How strange that they can't see the bone  :shify: Glad he seems to be OK, I bet you'll be getting bonelss chicken in your house for a while!  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 21:32:45 PM »
Phew, that is good news  :wow: ;D :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 20:39:00 PM »
Right Christie definately put your feet up and relax time, glad alls well  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 20:38:07 PM »
That's good news  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 20:35:15 PM »
Good news, Christie.  The bad news is that now you have to go and find that bone behind a cupboard or plant  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 20:29:47 PM »
It looks like Oscar (and I!) made a sneaky escape!

Nurses watched him for about an hour, no breathing problems, no coughing, etc. So they sedated him and did xrays, the vet looked very carefully at the xrays, and could NOT find a bone! She saw his breakfast, and plenty of gas in his colon (he can be a farty lad  :sick: ), but no sign of a bone in his neck or stomach. So it's possible I did knock him away quickly enough and he just got a taste of the bone, and I thought I saw him swallow it...I did panic, I do admit that! So she is going to give him a mini-enema to get him cleaned out (I told her to hand him over to nurse immediately, since he can be very smelly, she laughed), and then they will keep him in overnight for observation just to be sure. But she says she thinks he didn't swallow it, maybe just made a motion or something that looked like a swallowing motion. And she did say better safe than sorry.

I am so relieved, I can't even begin to tell you! I've been so down all afternoon, worried about him, and his sister Minnie is a bit down in the dumps as well. But I should be able to go pick him up in the morning, after the vet's morning rounds, if all is ok.

Thanks to everyone for good wishes and support, your wishes look like they worked!  :wow:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 19:16:59 PM »
Poor little man, hope all is OK  :hug: :hug:

You can't watch them 24 hours a day, they're like naughty children, into everything they shouldn't be  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 18:06:14 PM »
poor Oscar.    Hope it goes well  :hug:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 16:50:20 PM »
Those of us who aren't directly involved know that your (I'm sure excellent) vet will do whatever needs to be done and that the little rascal will be soon be right as rain again  :hug:  Of course, this won't stop you being frantic with worry  :hug:  Keep us posted.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 16:21:58 PM »
Thanks Janeyk and Teresa, I'm trying to be calm, husband came home early from work to keep me company but is out in his shed  :censored: which is a big help, of course. our vets are the best, I just hope they can do a keyhole type of surgery (if they need to operate) so he doesn't have a tough recovery. He's such a character, a really funny cat, loves to cuddle with me in the bed.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 16:17:11 PM »
Dont beat yourself up,Oscar has done what cats do best hunt, you have done everything right and hopefully the vet will remove said bone easily. Feet up and calming cuppa time for you  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 16:13:26 PM »
 :hug: Poor Oscar, hopefully they won't need to operate fingers crossed xx

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
Oscar @ vet...swallowed chicken bone
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 16:07:48 PM »
Oscar is our youngest neutered male, about 10 months old (and 4+ kilos); he's got a lovely character, very sweet and a real cuddler, has a special spot in my heart!

Had a couple of chicken wings for my lunch; usually, would lock Oscar (and others) out in conservatory so I can eat in peace (Oscar is frantic for his food), but he was sleeping so I figured I was safe. He must have smelled the chicken, thought; he did a long distance kamikaze dive at the plate and scooped up one of the larger wing bones and before I could blink had swallowed it whole, then sat and started to wash his face. I freaked; threw the rest of the chicken in the bin, and grabbed him to see if I could get hold of it, but it was gone down his throat. Phoned the vet immediately, they don't really have an emergency service per se, but they know me and all 6 of our cats, and so told me to bring him in right away. I got him into the travel box and drove straight there, hair all over, drenched from rain. Poor Oscar was so freaked out, he cried all the way there, but wasn't coughing or choking or having trouble breathing. A nurse saw us right away, and got me calmed down, then our usual vet found out I was there and came in to check him (I was relieved to see her)...he seems ok for now, they admitted him and will sedate him a bit to get an xray and see how large the bone is and where it is. I didn't hear him chomp it, so I'm hoping he didn't splinter it, but she said it's not good to try and have him vomit it as it can hurt his throat on the way up, so they may have to do surgery to remove it. So I'm sitting here by phone waiting to hear.

I feel so bad, it was so stupid; I'm always so careful with these cats, what they can eat, only out in garden when we're out there with them, to have this happen really upsets me. We're supposed to go away for a week in about 3 weeks or so but I may have to cancel that if he has surgery...

Link to CatChat