Author Topic: Tilly has Hyperthyroidism  (Read 6387 times)

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Re: Tilly has Hyperthyroidism
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 22:49:23 PM »
Good points guys, thanks.

Like you say Clare it is a new condition to Tilly and as yet, has not even been stabilised with drugs. This was only her second test and she will be going back again in a few weeks. I have highlighted other related issues to my parents and my mum did ask last time about her kidneys and the vet confirmed they tested everything including kidneys and she is in perfect health but we will keep a special eye on those.

I think the vet my have also swayed towards the no op route because my parents don't have insurance...although they would have no problem paying whatever it cost...I think the vet was just trying to be kind to my parents pocket.

It is a multi vet practice and its highly likely my mum will see a different vet unless she specifically asks for the last one, so if it is a different vet she could ask for their opinion also.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
I'd be a bit suspicious of a vet who shied away from the operation option

a previous vet I used freely admitted that though she was happy to do the most complex orthopedic procedures, she absolutely hated removing thyroid glands - presumably because of the risk of damaging the parathyroid
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 08:57:44 AM »
Glad Tilly is doing well  ;D

They may not be suggesting thyroid removal yet as its quite a new condition to her, and they me be waiting to check if any underlying issues come about once the thyroid is regulated properly?  I know that kidney readings can alter once the thyroid is under control as one masks the other, so they may be wanting to wait for a while to see what happens.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 08:09:16 AM »
A lot of vets seem to use the line 'they are taking the tablets fine' which annoys me - the tablets aren't a cure, and some cats develop side effects from long term use, by which time they are older and will struggle more with the op.
Please spay your cat

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 22:49:57 PM »
Just thought I'd give an update on how Tilly is getting on.  She went to the vets a couple of weeks ago for a check up and more tests.  She had improved but her levels were still too high so they have had to increase the dosage of Vidalta.  I'm guessing this means she was pretty bed to begin with.  Since then she has really come on and hopefully next time I see her she will look like a different cat.

My mum did ask the vet for her opinion on the operation, she advised against it due to Tilly's age and the fact that she doesn't have any problems taking the tablets.  Also because the op is not a guarantee and it could cause further complications etc.  I was a little surprised because she is pretty healthy for her age.

She is happy and well now so can't really ask for anymore I guess :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline ianthi

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »

I agree Delsey about what the manufacturers say on the leaflet,  but I read on another forum where a vet actually contacted them directly and they told her that yes they could be split.  What a pity then they haven't yet got round to making smaller doses , if that's the case or changing the literature to reflect this.

However they do say that a different medication should be used for lower levels but the problem appears to be that vets are actually prescribing it for these cats regardless.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 09:00:36 AM »
We were told to halve Max's tablets when his levels reduced by our vet, and I do recall them saying there was a slight risk to humans in doing that, but only if you ingested any of it?

Can't really remember now  :shy:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 08:10:17 AM »

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you this much and remember all this may not apply in Tily's case - you've already said she doesn't appear to be suffering any bad reactions, which is a good thing.

Do get the T4 levels from the vets though. It may only be a case of splitting the tablets ( apparently you can ) in any case if the levels turn out to be lower.

A really good source of iformation is the Hypert Group on Yahoo.  There you'll find very experienced people who'll advice you further on treating this condition and there's plenty about Vidalta there!

That's interesting - the leaflet that comes with Vidalta says you cant split it (same with FElimazole) - my vet also said there were risks to us with splitting tablets, years ago (pre Vidalta and Felimazole) my local CP lady used to split the tablets and she actually developed a thyroid condition because of it.
Please spay your cat

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 01:01:02 AM »
Its ok...I just worry about her because she is so little.  I also feel a bit bad because I just kind of assumed the vets were doing the right thing. Plus becuase I wasn't there when Tilly was in the vets I couldn't ask any questions.

We will get her sorted though with a little help and advice from the Purrs guys :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline ianthi

• Kitten
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 00:47:19 AM »

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you this much and remember all this may not apply in Tily's case - you've already said she doesn't appear to be suffering any bad reactions, which is a good thing.

Do get the T4 levels from the vets though. It may only be a case of splitting the tablets ( apparently you can ) in any case if the levels turn out to be lower.

A really good source of iformation is the Hypert Group on Yahoo.  There you'll find very experienced people who'll advice you further on treating this condition and there's plenty about Vidalta there!

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 00:26:34 AM »
Crikey!!

Thanks guys, I will be speaking to my parents about all of this tomorrow *scared*
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline ianthi

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 23:40:36 PM »

Exactly, as Rosella said just because the kidney ( especially ) values were OK on initial testing DOESN'T mean that they ARE in reality always fine!

Hyperthyroidism actually increases blood supply to them (one of the 'good' effects of the conditon) thus masking problems. For example, in a cat without this condition kidney problems would be apparent.  So then as a result of the meds, when the metabolism ( and the blood supply ) is slowed down, due to to lowering of the T4 levels this 'benefitial 'effect is removed and pre-existing ( if applicable ) kidney problems becomes evident.

In these cases, the trick is to find an optimun level of dosing which lowers the T4 while effectively retaining good kidney function. Unfortunately, in some cases this isn't always achieved and renal failure results owing to 'over-medicating' in the initial stages.

Faced with the fact that MOST older cats have compromised kidney function, it's something vets should be mindful of when prescribing anti-thyroid meds and sadly this isn't always the case.

Of course, Tily may have genuinely good kidney function but best to be forewarned!  Like Rosella said, it's best to get tests sooner rather than later.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 22:56:02 PM »
Sorry Steff another word of warning re Vidalta from me I'm afraid esp if Tilly's readings are not that high?  Felimazole would be the way I would go too as it's possible to give much smaller doses and increase as required.

Our Tommie RIP was borderline and use of Vidalta increased his liver enzymes.  He got quite poorly on it.  Obviously cats differ but, esp if using Vidalta and she sounds such a small girl, I would urge your parents to go back a wee bit early for 2nd blood test, say 10 days.  From the research I did with Thomas I got the impression that vets often recommend too high a dose to start with when a low dose slowly increased achieves better results but hey I'm no vet. 

Please remember that thyroid affects all major organs so the fact that kidney results were OK doesn't mean much until thyroid is under control  :hug:

Sending best wishes for lovely Tilly  :care:

Offline ianthi

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 22:34:20 PM »

Hi Steff,

Sorry to hear about Tily but the good news is this condition is very manageable once the levels are stabilised. 

Can I just urge some caution with the use of Vidalta. You don't mention Tily's numbers ie how she scored on the initial T4 test but from experience ( and if you google it you'll find other instances ) it's not really suitable for mildly hypert cats. The initial starting dose cited by the manufacturers is 15mg and even the lower dose 10mg in some cases is too strong in these cases as well.  The dangers involve the effect of the medication on the kidneys - hyperththyroidism can in some cases mask existing kidney disease, so it's best to keep the initial dose LOW and work your way up in response to blood tests.

Basically, if Tily develops any adverse affects such as lethargy etc this should be enough to warrant discontinuing the medication. There are alternatives like Felimazole which is available in smaller doses, if necessary.

Do let us know how it goes anyway.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 22:13:28 PM »
Fredcat started on vidalta , but it made him very sick so we switched to Felimazole. It took three tablets a day to get the levels down , (hiding in ham did the trick!) and he has since had the operation , and it back to full health.

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 21:33:58 PM »
I was at my parents on Sunday so got to see Tilly, she is already a lot brighter and her general condition has improved so hopefully she will start to put a bit of weight back on slowly now. She is fine with taking her daily tablet...she is such a good girl.

I did ask my parents if the vets said what her levels were but they didn't. She will be going back in a couple of weeks for follow up tests so I will get them to ask.

My parents are definitely considering the operation for her because she is such a spritely active cat and they want her to be able to lead a normal life for as long as possible. Obviously they will go on the vets advice.

Through my Petsearch stuff I have got quite friendly with one of the VN's from our vets so I might ask her for some advice (off the record).

Thanks for the heads up about CRF...when she was in being testing they did check kidneys, liver etc and all was ok. She is generally a super healthy cat apart from the hyper T. Its that good country living lol!

I'll have to get some pics next time I'm over...she is an extremely beautiful black and white babe :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:04:54 AM »
My boy Max was on Vidalta, I'm not sure of the difference between that and Felimazole, apart from Vidalta is only one tablet per day, whilst the other is 2?

Defurrum treats were always the way forward in my house, break the treat in half, slip the tablet inside, and voila!!

As others have mentioned, high thyroid readings can sometimes mask kidney issues, so when the bloods are repeated in the future, its a good idea to check kidney function at the same time, as unfortunately the two often go hand in hand, that's what I was told by my vet in any case.

If kidneys are fine, I think HyperT is quite any easy condition to manage  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:03:29 AM »
i have had two hyper-t cats - my best piece of advice would be to get your parents to get a prescription once the dosage has been sorted - my vets charged £22 for a months worth of vidalta, they were £12 through VetUK - my vet charged £4.80ish for a prescription, but it lasted for 3 months. Vidalta might knock her out with her being such a tiny cat, if so, then Felimazole might be better - do you know what her numbers are? I used Primula with Sam, it worked wonders, I found sliced meat was too easy for him to eat and spit the tablet out.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 06:34:11 AM »
My 17 year old cat Pepper is on Vidalta and is fine.  I've had 2 other hyperthyroid cats ( and myself  :)) once they get the levels and dosage sorted then there should be no problems  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 22:38:55 PM »
I was also wondering if there are any other health conditions linked to hyperthyroid or any that she may be more susceptable to?

High thyroid levels can sometimes mask CRF (chronic renal failure). Tiggy developed CRF when she was about 17, we tried to keep her thyroid levels on the high end of normal as the blood pumps faster through the kidneys when the levels are higher so it was actually beneficial to the kidneys.

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 21:32:14 PM »
Thanks Helen :)

Just spoke to my mum and Tilly has been given Vidalta. I will look up the difference between the two and see if one has better results than the other etc etc.

Tilly is pretty good at taking tablets but how long that will last I don't know!!!

The vet did mention the op but my parents were worried about her age. It would be handy to hear from anyone whose cat has had the op...

She is a bit weak at the moment and has lost 0.3kg over the past 6 months (she is only 2.5kg now and has always been about 2.8kg). They are going to she how she goes on the tablets and once she I back up to her usual strength they will then see about the op (with guidance from the vets).

I was also wondering if there are any other health conditions linked to hyperthyroid or any that she may be more susceptable to?

If anyones cat has had the op please get in touch.

I just hope she can live as long as Tiggy - Sooty (our first family cat) lived till 19 too :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 20:54:32 PM »
We have a cat in on Vidalta.
They arnt coated but are small. The cat thats in has one hidden in Philadelphia cheese

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 20:47:58 PM »
Here you go, here's my top tablet tips. If she's on Felimazole then they are actually teeny and also coated so should be easy. I know Vidalta is often used for hyperthyroid but not sure whether they are coated or what size they are.

I have an addition to the list which I discovered when Riley had a diaorrhea and had to take Metronidazole which had been broken into quarters exposing their bitterness, he refused any of the below as he could obviously still smell/taste the tablet so I discovered Webbox treats.  They're stick treats but quite maleable so I cut a piece off and moulded it round the tablet.

For the last two years when she was having 5 tablets a day my main methods were 1 & 2 below (with no 2 being less sticky!), if she were feeling off colour I had to resort to one of the other methods.  One of the tablets she had was Fortekor (for CRF not heart failure) so the tips definitely work with that shape/size of tablet.

1) Primula Cheese in a tube (Chs, Chs & Ham, Chs & Prawn but NOT chs & chive), also works with Dairylea triangles, laughing cow etc, just cut a small chunk off..  Place tablet on finger, squirt a blob of Primula on, Tiggy licked it off, tablet and all. 

2) De-furrum treats (available from places like Pets at Home, Jollyes etc) they are designed for hairballs.  When snapped in half there is a gooey mix which holds the tablet perfectly when you poke it in.  Tiggy loved these and hoovered them up.

3) Wafer thin ham (Bernard Matthews is best as is nice and moist and sticks to itself when folded over).  Wrap tablet in small parcel and hand feed, the tablet may fall out the first time so I roll up in another piece and keep going.  Wafer thin Beef or Chicken is also effective.

4) Cheddar Cheese, experiment with varieties but the moister the better. Shave of a thinnish layer and squish around the tablet.

5) Chicken breast, don't overcook, needs to be nice and moist.  Shave a thinnish layer and again squish around tablet.

6) Tuna, squeeze most of the juiceout and squish around tablet.

7) For powdered meds: Beef sandwich paste (check ingredients NO onion or garlic) mix with a little hot water to make a yummy beefy paste.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 20:41:59 PM »
Hi Steff, sorry to hear about the diagnosis but hyoerthyroid is actually quite easy to manage once her levels are stabilised  :hug: Tiggy was hyperthyroid from around 14 years of age to when she died (not from hyperthyroid) just before her 19th birthday.

If Tilly is otherwise fit and healthy then it could be an option to go on tablets for a few weeks to stabilise her levels and then have an op to remove the thyroid. I chose the tablet route and looking back I think the op would have been better as 5 years of twice daily tablets is a bit restrictive! That said you have to feed cats twice a day so as long as you are good at giving/hiding tablets in things it's not too big a bind, especially if it makes a beloved cat feel better  :) I became an expert at hiding the tablets in various treats/foods so only on very rare occasions did I have to resort to reasonable force  :evillaugh: I'll try and dig out my list of sneaky things for you.

If she went down the permanent tablet route she would also have to have fairly regular blood tests to check everything was in order, I think Tiggy used to have it checked every 3 months. I bought her tablets from an online pet pharmacy (with a prescription from my vet) as they were loads cheaper - I think the tablets (felimazole) worked out to around £12 a month.

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
Tilly has Hyperthyroidism
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 20:13:15 PM »
My cat Tilly who lives with my parents (cos she is the family cat) has been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism today. She is 15 and has always been a small cat, especially in comparison to Bourneville who is over 6kg. She is also very active cos she lives out in the countryside and is always out hunting. She does eat quite a lot and more recently she has been losing condition so I said to my mum to ask the vets specifically to check to thyroid. Well my mum rang me yesterday because Tilly had not been herself for a couple of days (lethargic, vomitting, not eating much) so they were taking her to the vets this morning.

They kept her in all day and carried out tests and yep she is hyperthyroid. It was kind of a relief cos we were worried it might have been something that wasn't treatable.

So she is back home at my parents now with her tablets and has to go back in a few weeks to have bloods done again in the hope that these tablets are the right dose for her so she can just continue on them for the rest of her life.

I'm going to do some research into it all for my parents but just wondered if anyone here could give me some practical tips/advice.

Thanks in advance :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator

Link to CatChat