Author Topic: Scared cat - is it normal?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline kem

• Kitten
Re: Scared cat - is it normal?
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »
Is Feliway a bit like catnip, i.e. not all cats can be affected by it? As my two dont react to catnip at all - well the male rolls around in it but neither of them goes hyper or change their behaviour.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:04:26 AM »
Feliway is good and can recommend it - I use it on freaky ferals when they first arrive, I also now have had very good results with Zylkene a capsule you open and sprinkle on to their wet food - helped me tame 2 - 6 month old ferals last year when another of my ferals sammy tried to kill me by being on the stairs!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 19:23:18 PM »
Hi Kem

I have to agree totally with Helen about Feliway. Marble has always been scared of loud noises/sudden movements ever since she was a little kitten. Tin foil, plastic bags, spray deodorant...you get the picture. I just assumed that was her but my vet recommended Feliway and when we rescued Soap (as a 12 week old crazy kitten) Marble became worse so we get Feliway and it completely helped to settle her down.

It is definitely worth the money...which reminds me...I need to buy a refill!
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 14:50:30 PM »
I have two brothers who I've had since kittens, one of them is very nervy/sensitive and it all started when I scraped out the freezer while he was eating next to it. Despite moving house and changing fridge freezer he is still frightened to go in the kitchen.

I use a Feliway plug in (emits good pheromones that help cats relax) and the difference in him is remarkable, he'll never be as confident as his brother (he is way tooooo confident!) but he now goes in to the kitchen willingly and is generally ten times more relaxed. I know what you mean about the jumping in the air thing as Lu will do that if there's no Feliway plugged in. 

It could be that one months worth of Feliway is all it will take to take the edge of your cats nerves but in my case I have now decided to have one plugged in permanently as it has such a positive impact on how he feels and acts, I hate to see him all nervy and frightened so the £15 a month is definitely money well spent.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 14:24:43 PM »
My old girl Byron is forever weaving round my feet and I'm always accidentally treading on her paws or tail  :shy:  it doesn't deter her though.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline kem

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 14:17:50 PM »
I've actually trapped his tail in the drawer before (months ago now) and he was fine after  :-[
Why is it that they enjoy getting in your way all the time?! Luckly they have grown out of going inbetween your feet when your coming down the stairs, but that was only once we've stepped on them a few times! They actually now wait till we have gone up or down the stairs before following us!

Oh dear, I think we are the cause of them being so nervous!  :-[

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 13:59:32 PM »
He does sound nervy bless him! It could be the tail trapping incident which scared him but if it continues I'd just let the vet check him over  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Mosi runs away when I sneeze.  He's not a scaredy cat in general, but the sound of a cough or sneeze sends him running.  I must admit that I have been known to do a fake sneeze when he's on my lap and I want to get up  :-[ :innocent:

Although it does sound like your male is a bit nervy.  The claw incident could have contributed to that.  Have you tried feliway?  That might help him relax a bit.   My Jaffa is a bit like that in that some sudden movements will make him jump.

Offline kem

• Kitten
Scared cat - is it normal?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »
I have two 11 month kittens, one female, and one male. Both always run out of the room at top speed whenever someone coughs or sneezes, but recently the male cat has been getting worse over any slight movement and noises.

Just yesterday, he was just relaxing on the sofa with us when his sister walked into the room. He jumped so high and dashed onto the window basing himself on the head. Which of course made his sister rush up stairs with fright!

The only thing I can think of that has happened recently that could have caused this, was acidently trapping his tail in a draw  :-[. Could this still be affecting him (over a week ago now), or is he just becoming a more nervous cat - and is there anything I can do to stop this?

Link to CatChat