Author Topic: Not eating  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Not eating
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 19:40:50 PM »
Sounds good!  :hug:

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 08:49:33 AM »
very cheeky. Day three on no sick which is great and Izzy seems back to normal. Bella is still a little under the weather I think - still won't touch the cat milk. But she's eating everything I put down to I'm sure they will be fine  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 20:52:50 PM »
How are the girls today? Hope they've perked up a bit :care:

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 23:27:59 PM »
well that was a waste of time. Izzy is fine now, had the milk no problem. Bella on the other hand acted as though the milk was going to jump out of the bowl and eat her! Gave me such a filthy look as well  :tired:

She's eaten some chicken today though so it's an improvement I guess. She's definitely not herself, she's very slow and sleep most of the day, gives me an awful 'third eye' look as well bless her

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 19:58:26 PM »
Noah loves raw egg mixed with cat milk as a treat, might get some protein down in 'liquid' form if the milk is tolerated?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 15:28:26 PM »
I hope that she enjoys the cat milk, my old girl eats often but seems to just nibble more now so I've got her back on the cat milk
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 14:28:33 PM »
That sounds more positive.  I know you are doing it, but obviously keep an eye on them for a bit re: food and hydration.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »
seems to be drinking as I've caught her having a piddle  :shy: She's not eating much though, she had a mouthful today - no sick at all now though so that's good. Izzy is now perfectly fine and eating like a trooper. I've bought some cat milk so I'm going to try her on that today

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
If she hasn't been eating it won't be proper vomit. Are they drinking ok, can they hold down cat milk? I put hairball paste on Noah's side after brushing him, that way I know it will go down at a separate time to a meal.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 10:22:24 AM »
well it was a long night. After Izzy was sick she hid in a box for 5 hours before eventually coming for a cuddle. She's seems very sorry for herself. I didn't feed her so we'll have to see how she firs today. Bella on the other hand ate a little food, not much, and kept everything down. Became quite bright and perky too! I swear they are taking it in turns to worry me!!

The vet called back yesterday and said if they had been sick frequently I should take them in but on getting home. BF told me it was just phlegm not proper sick so I think I'll wait a few days and see how they go - keeping an eye out for dehydration and such like.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 08:10:07 AM »
It could well be the heat.  This year I've particularly noticed that both of mine aren't interested in food when it's warmer.  They seem to want to eat when it's cooler, ie before 7am or after 10pm and aren't interested in anything in the day, even something they would love as a treat.  Also, my two are losing a lot of fur at the moment with the heat, so that could increase the chance of furballs.  As long as they are weeing at least 1/2 times a day and going to the toilet okay, I'd try not to worry too much, as I suspect you will see an improvement when it's a bit cooler.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 21:52:01 PM »
Not sure its meant to be given at the same time as food but not sure.

I reckon the prob will go away in a another day if its furballs, they also put themselves off food onced they have been sick.

Its raining here and much cooler......sigh

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 21:37:22 PM »
Poor babies :care:

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 19:55:54 PM »
yes they had it. I mixed it in with some pate type food. Don't think it's worked through as Izzy has bought it all back up an hour later. BOTH OF THEM NOW!! grrrrrrrr :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 15:59:50 PM »
I'm sure I've bought it from there before for Tiggy, weird that it's not on the website though. They definitely sell the defurr-um treats there which are basically crispy shells with hairball paste inside!

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 15:56:18 PM »
going to nip to pets at home to see if they do paste - it's not on the website. If not I've seen on the net that a little olive oil in the food, or butter on their paws might help

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 15:53:36 PM »
That's good that they were seen so recently as you'd think if there was anything seriously wrong the vet would have picked up on it when he was poking and prodding them.

Have you got any hairball paste? Might be worth giving them some in case it is hairballs. Katalax is the one the vet sells but you can get similar ones at Pets at Home / Jollyes. My boys are wise to the pastes but will eat the defurr-um treats.

Would they eat wet food with added water? Keeping fluids up is important in hot weather and even moreso if she is losing fluids when she's being sick too.

Hope they're both feeling better soon  :care:

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 15:44:53 PM »
Hi Helen!

Nice to be back, I feel awful popping back only when I have issues  :sick: Might have to pop to the shop to remedy that  :naughty: I've given the vet a call, they went for their boosters on Thursday so he's had a poke around them recently going to see how they fair tonight, probably give them some pate food they can lick since they just seem to lick at the gravy at the moment :/

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 15:34:12 PM »
 :welcome: back Hannikat

I think the heat makes humans and animals alike eat less but given that it's been going on a while (the sickness) then I think a vet check would be best. It does sound like it could be due to hairballs but better to be safe than sorry  :hug:

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
Not eating
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 14:43:01 PM »
Izzy and Bella are displaying some rather strange behavior.

Both seem of their food, they will chew pieces but spit them straight back out again. At first I thought maybe there was something lodged but I can't see anything and they both eat a treat no problem. Recently Bella has been sick quite a bit - all of which have been rather hairy, althought the last few have been more food than hair. Today since she's not really eaten it's just liquid - looks like spit and she keeps heaving. Both poo's are fine and they are drinking water. Is this normal for hair balls? I've been brushing them a bit and this seems to have cut down on bella being sick as much LOADs of fur came off. Is this a combination of the heat (house cats) and fur balls?

Link to CatChat