Author Topic: Clothes licking?  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Clothes licking?
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 16:54:16 PM »
I have stopped using fabric conditioner on anything the cats sleep on as I read somewhere about a cat dying from licking a fabric with it on. I can't remember the details but I stopped to be on the safe side. I even stopped using it on bedding. I just use washing tablets that smell nice instead (Asda own brand  :evillaugh: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 15:34:08 PM »
He will realise it's the licking that's the problem. You don't have to move him off totally, just move him slightly to distract/interupt him and maybe stroke him under the chin. Only put him down if he's being too insistant on licking you.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 15:14:37 PM »
The thing is, he likes being stroked on the nose, and I'll often *boop* him on the nose too which is a really gentle touch, when I've been telling him off for licking it's not been much more than this but with a stern 'no' so he might be getting confused between being told off and an affectionate boop. I'll try and be persistent with putting him down and saying no though, but I don't want him to think tthat he's being told off for being affectionate, just for being too licky

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 14:57:48 PM »
I just read the Purrs guide and I have to say I'm not thrilled about the recommendation of tapping on the nose or squirting water. It's far too aversive for my liking.

Just be consistent at removing him and he will soon twig that you don't want him being licky hehe To break the habit, you need to break him practicing and repeating the behaviour and the best way to do that is remove him from the situation (since you can't exactly remove your clothes from it).

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 14:36:15 PM »
I was doing that for a little while last night, think I'll have to be persistent with him, I'm too much of a softy   :P I like the term 'being licky' though!

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 14:28:35 PM »
Could you not move him when he starts licking so he can't lick.. Move him off you slightly or totally. If he comes back and settles leave him, when he starts licking move him again. It'll break the behaviour and he should learn if he wants a cuddle he won't get it if he's being licky.

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
I think its just because its prolonged, he will sit and do it all night so after a few hours my clothes are really soggy. I'm on my phone now but will look it up when I go on the laptop in a bit, thanks

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »
Wow, that cat must produce a LOT of saliva.... ;)

Hmmm - pica sounds likely then. Would give you a good link, but my PC is playing up and keeps taking me to Ask Jeeves when I click on any option on a mozilla search.... :tired:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 11:06:18 AM »
Nope its definately licking, I've read the guide and have been tapping him on the nose for a while but it doesn't seem to bother him and he'll just do it again straight away, maybe I'm being too gentle but I don't want to hurt him. Haha Stuart, thats what he does, when he's being petted he starts making biscuits on me and then starts licking

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »
If you're clothes are getting soaked it's sounds more like suckling than just licking. Licking can be OCD based and is known as pica in cats - might be worth looking to see if it's what Darcy does. :) Will try and find a link out.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:45:29 AM »
This link from our behaviour guides section may be a bit helpful: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,14322.0.html
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 06:08:26 AM »
is He Licking or suckling ?? one of My sister's cat's Mowglie, Suckles a fleece on my Sis's Bed  :-:
but I've Only seen Him do it while getting petted, i.e. start petting and he'll start Playing the piano and sucking with much gusto  :evillaugh:
it is cute  :Luv:

sorry, don't have any advice on your problem tho  :doh:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
Clothes licking?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 02:08:04 AM »
Does anyone know how I can deter Darcy from licking my clothes all the time? I think it's a comfort thing for him as he only ever does it when he's sat on my lap having cuddles, when he first got here and he was confined to the bedroom he would lick the quilt when I was lying under it, now he does it to my clothes. He doesn't do it with any other fabrics or at any other times, so I don't think it's the actual fabric he's bothered about if you see what I mean? Like if there are clothes lying around unworn he won't lick those, also if your hand is near his face he'll lick my hand and fingers a lot. I wouldn't mind too much as he's still only young and it's kind of cute, but my clothes are ending up absolutely soaked by the end of the night and I don't want him to get into the habit of doing it all the time.

Link to CatChat