Author Topic: Off to the vets with Alice shortly - passing blood again  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Off to the vets with Alice shortly - passing blood again
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
It was the separate T4 test that they did. As she is at the high end of normal, he wants to retest in a few months rather than put her straight on meds. He had already said about Metacam increasing gastric issues but it is a balance between her being in pain with her joints and having an upset tum. He suggested trying a sensitivity diet. I told him that I tried several before without any luck. I am going to order some Hill's sensitivity dry, although she doesn't eat much dry. As for wet, I will try sensitivity but she is very particular about what she will eat. Whiskas senior shrimp or salmon flavout and tuna supermeat basically. She will occasionally eat felix Salmon in shrimp flavour jelly or lamb and that is about it. She will go on hunger strike if it isn't to her liking. It's over 2 years since she had an ultrasound. We are going to see if the anal gland blockage was the cause of the last bout and otherwise do some more tests.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 08:11:22 AM »
Mark, cats that are on the high end of normal can still be hyper-t, they need a Free T4 test doing to confirm. I actually would avoid Metacam as long as possible with her, as it can cause stomach issues, and she already has those, plus high thyroid values can mask kidney issues. When was the last time she had an ultrasound of her tum?
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 19:22:07 PM »
I normally always have a stock but as OH planned to be away all week + on an OU residential weekend this weekend, I didn't bother going shopping. I was making do until Sunday  :evillaugh: - as it turns out, OH rang tonight and is coming home from Stratford-on -avon tonight. Will work in London tomorrow, travel back to Stratford tomorrow night to work there Friday and will get a lift to Oxford for the residential thing. My pizza will have to go 2 ways as well  :evillaugh: - although OH asked if I could make spaghetti & meatballs AS WELL!  :Crazy:

Anyway, I have set up a radio down there for Alice - she always had one when she was in the attic - maybe it will help with the howling. She probably hears animals next door that we don't.

btw - Tesco have the 6 coley steaks as part of their "any 2 packs for £5" so I will get a couple when I go shopping - which will probably be tomorrow morning after dropping OH off at the station.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 19:25:05 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 19:14:00 PM »
Awww, I'm glad that Alice has a some (if a little) coley, Schui used to love me to feed him too :Luv:

You'd better get stocked up again it sounds like they all like a bit of coley (had to laugh at Kylie on her back  :evillaugh:)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 19:03:28 PM »
She allowed me the privilege of hand feeding her and is now asleep again  :evillaugh: :Luv2:

Really annoying but I haven't done a big shop for 2 weeks and OH is away on business this week - I was down to the last coley steak. Kylie was on her back, legs up waiting for it, Clapton parked himself by the kitchen door when it was cooking and I was determined that Alice would get some. It seems when needs must, a little goes a long way.... Kylie ate a  bit and saved the rest for later. I will put it in the fridge otherwise Clapton will sneak in and finish it for her as his plate is clean  :evillaugh:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 18:38:09 PM »
That's good news then  :)

I hope that she enjoys her coley and give her a snuggle from me  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 18:33:10 PM »
Results are back.

She isn't hyperthyroid ATM but she is higher end of normal. Also her Chlorine slightly on the low side - he said the readings can change from day to day so he isn't too concerned. He said he wants to retest in a few months as due to her being high end of normal re thyroid, there is a chance the numbers could go higher. The good news is that her kidneys are fine so she can have Metacam if need be. I mentioned the infra-red bed and he is interested to know if it helps as obviously if it does, it has to be better than Metacam.

As for the Chlorine, I don't know what the implications are. if it gets any lower. I asked if diet could help but he said he wouldn't want to advise putting more salt in a cats diet - which makes sense. Hopefully the number will be higher the next time. So really her gastric issues aren't clear, although it is possible she strained from hacking up furballs. She had  brought up 2 undigested Tesco own webbox sticks so maybe a piece had scratched her on the way up?

I am just cooking some coley so will offer her some of that  :Luv2:

He said to worm again after giving her the rest of today to destress. She still hasn't eaten yet and AFAIK, not even had a drink which is worrying. It is high 20s here, although the lower ground floor is cooler, she has the heater on  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 18:34:26 PM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 17:06:41 PM »
yep same with humans, not all symptoms follow but they usually do.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 17:04:37 PM »
you would think so  :Crazy:

I read something earlier that said some cats have the opposite symptoms. I forget the name of the term they use.

I have already found out the nearest place that does iodine therapy - although not sure I could cope with her being in hospital for at least 2 weeks.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 16:35:20 PM »
Glad that she's home and settled now and hopefully it was the anal glands. 

I'd be surprised about the thyroid though because if it's up you'd think she'd be too hot.

Good luck for the results  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 14:41:08 PM »
Thanks  :)

Admittedly our basement is much cooler than the rest of the house but she is still insisting on having the heater on. Her face is pushed right into it  :Crazy:
It is tropical outside.

I told the vet about it this morning. I also mentioned that her eyes look a bit funny. He examined them with a magnifying glass. She had them stained a few months ago and they came up clear. She is feeling pretty sorry for herself  :'( - I went to give her a cuddle and could smell her anal glands  :sick: - she did attempt a clean-up earlier but very half heartedly.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 14:42:17 PM by Mark »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 14:19:55 PM »
Awww bless her, hope all the results come back fine  :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »
May sound odd but I almost hope it is her thyroid as that way she can be helped - if that makes sense  :-:. I also hope her anal glands were causing the bleeding.

ETA - we spoke about her chin cyst as well. The vet said it is unlikely to diappear and will need popping once in a while. He said unless you remove the lining, it won't go - he said every surgery comes with a risk; especially for older cats so he didn't consider it worth an op.

He also checked her ears as she seems to be going a bit deaf.

Also her tum - basically she had an MOT  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 14:09:17 PM by Mark »

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »
So sorry to hear that Alice hasn't been feeling well, hope all the test results come back okay. :Luv2:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:38:03 AM »
After hyperventilating and howling for the 5 mile journey, she had compacted anal glands - now emptied. Could be the cause. She has had a full profile + thyroid done. Will get the results this afternoon. I hoped she would be better on the way back but she was worse   :( - there was a big drool hanging down and she cried the whole time. Anyway, she is flopped out on the rug ATM. We were saying that if Metacam would help her joints, she should be on it - however, the vet said that if she is having gastric issues, she can't have metacam because it will make it worse.

btw - the vet felt her thyroid and said it feels like it is up.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 12:45:04 PM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:57:42 AM »
 :( Poor Alice,

hope that the vet visit goes ok Mark  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Off to the vets with Alice shortly - passing blood again
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »
She has always has a problem with blood in her poo. She had all kinds of tests which came up clear and in the end, the vet said some cats just have sensitive insides. It seems to be getting more frequent. This morning, I came down and there were blobs of what looks like sweet & sour sauce  :sick: around the basement. Not sure which end they came from. She had thrown up as well but I think the blobs came from the back end. I hate putting her through this as she gets so upset but can't risk "waiting to see".

She isn't quite herself and isn't even yowling for attention this morning.  :(

Link to CatChat