Author Topic: Vacination's are so important!!!  (Read 9130 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Vacination's are so important!!!
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 03:25:11 AM »
So sorry to hear about your parents' cats  :hug:

That sounds like a particularly nasty flu they caught. The ferals I've more or less decided to keep, were only a few weeks old when they developed flu, so I trapped them and their mum and took one to the vet. They were nursed by me: just kept warm and given antibiotic drops in their food. They recovered fairly quickly. I suspect they still had their mum's immunity.

Of course you must do what you feel best with; personally, I don't usually booster, but I'm taking the above mentioned monsters in as domestics (they live in a separate room at the moment) so I'm considering what to do about Fred and Vic, who go to the vet on sat morning.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 13:51:47 PM »
My parents had four cats and their injections were  out of date (by less than a year).  Admittedly, they were outdoor cats, but one caught cat flu and consequently so did the other three. We had two weeks of the vet administering anti-biotics and calling twice a day to rehydrate all of them.  They were all very sick cats, the outcome of which we lost three of them.  Since then, I have always said I would vaccinate any cat I had and will never change my mind.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2010, 18:37:38 PM »
Noah is indoor and doesn't get vaccinated due to a bad reaction in the past: he will be having regular vet check-ups, I am careful what I feed him and have the wealth of experience on Purrs at my fingertips.  :hug: There are two types of people who do not vaccinate, those who have made an informed decision not to (preferably with veterinary input) and those who don't care about their cats wellbeing.  >:( AFAIK boosters are not of benefit to the entire immune system, they only protect against specific conditions. In humans the best way to boost the entire immune system is a natural balanced diet, regular physical activity and probiotic supplements - no reason why the same cannot apply to our little monkeys. :catlove2:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2010, 08:20:02 AM »
I did have a chat with my vet about this, he says the jury is out for CRF cats and vaccines - there is one train of thought that older cats dont get the full benefit of the vaccine, and one that says that while they dont, their immune system means that if they come into contact with something like cat flu, it could be more serious for them. He didn't seem to think the FeLV one was worth it at her age though. Depending on the cat situation, I will probably get her boosters done, as Ellie did come in with cat flu and does still get weepy eyes.
Please spay your cat

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 16:15:37 PM »
We have annual boosters every year and for Felv.

I had a long discussion with my vet and we both agree we think its for the best.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 11:10:44 AM »
You might find this interesting www.healthyoptions.co.nz/hottopics/oct-vaccinations.pdf

I do find that interesting. I don't agree with the "Acute form of disease become long-term chronic disease with a range of symptoms" section though. I'll tell you why ....

When Molly was about 8 months or so this same topic (nosodes/vaccinations) popped up on an American Border Collie board that I was a member of. One person who was really, very anti - vaccination listed a load of 'symptoms' for rabies vaccinosis. I pointed out that Molly had over 3/4 of those 'symptoms' [they were just normal behaviours btw). I also pointed out that Molly had never had a rabies vaccine. This person said, well it must have been passed on by her parents. I pointed out that her parents were also, not vaccinated for rabies. So she said, well it must be from her grand-parents. Yup you've guessed it, they weren't vaccinated either  :shocked: So how can you get rabies vaccinosis if never vaccinated for rabies  :shocked:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 10:48:06 AM »
I wonder how long before it becomes mainstream? Drug companies will resist if homeopathic suppliers can sell it.

You might find this interesting www.healthyoptions.co.nz/hottopics/oct-vaccinations.pdf 

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »
Just a quick link of one to prove I'm not going mad. Btw found on google, just took the first one that popped up, so I have no personal experience of this place

http://www.farringford.f9.co.uk/cats.htm

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 10:14:05 AM »
I'm guessing there are very few places that accept them. Not sure when this was written, but it says

"Despite the obvious advantages of nosodes, most boarding kennels and veterinary hospitals will not accept them in lieu of vaccination. If you need to board your dog or cat in a boarding kennel or veterinary hospital, you may be forced to have him/her vaccinated. This is a problem that will hopefully improve with time as more kennel owners and veterinarians become familiar with nosodes."

http://www.napoleon.org.uk/alternative.htm

It sounds good if it works.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 10:00:06 AM »
There are catteries out there who will accept up to date titre test results in place of a vaccination card, so it is possible to board them without vaccinating if they have good results. Some places also accept animals vaccinated by means of homeopathic nosodes.

Are you sure ?

Catteries are licenced by the local council and the one requirement is that a current vaccination is in place.

Yup. 100% positive. There are councils who allow them.

Just as an aside, but same topic. Dog training clubs/events have to be insured. One of the requirements is always full vaccinations. However, many are now also accepting up to date titres/nosodes in place of normal vaccinations.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 08:36:45 AM »
Thanks Des. I'm sure I read that about CRF cats as well. Although it would have only been a matter of time, I am convinced Willow went even further downhill after her vacs in early December. She was poorly already and I don't think her system could cope with it.  I think I will try to find out more info and discuss with OH. Clapton won't even go in the garden any more - I'm sure it is to do with Alice  :( - He has been doing so well ad I don't want to compromise him. I will also ask about the geriatric profile. I noticed that on the Glasgow form yesterday.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 08:11:38 AM »
Mark, I have read somewhere about not vaccinating CRF cats, but I can't for the life of me think where it was - there is a possibility it was on the CRF site, if not, it must have been on the American cat forum. I will ask my vet tonight when I take Zi up with me, even though hers aren't due until Sept. Full bloods dont include thyroid, but some labs do a geriatric profile which does, which is what mine get.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 23:33:03 PM »
The mad thing i, if the other cats are vaccinated, they will be OK. The cattery owner I know has an isolation pen but she still isn't allowed to take cats without proof of vaccination.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 23:12:48 PM »
There are catteries out there who will accept up to date titre test results in place of a vaccination card, so it is possible to board them without vaccinating if they have good results. Some places also accept animals vaccinated by means of homeopathic nosodes.

Are you sure ?

Catteries are licenced by the local council and the one requirement is that a current vaccination is in place.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 21:32:04 PM »
Just lost my bloomin post grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What did I say lol

Franta does not get boosters anymore since last year cfos two vets at different practices said they thaought it could be dangerous for him and advised against it and I am stopping Ducha his brothers this year cos think at age 17 , enough is enough.

Misa ands Sasa both get boosters and my vets say that they have to be given within 3 months from end of last one and have checked with maufactorer!

None get FeLv and the vets said that after age 8 its not needed any more as the immunity has built up.

Wouldnt it be nice if all vets hasd a common consensus!

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 21:21:08 PM »
not much chance of ours going to a cattery I would need a whole one :rofl:

:evillaugh:

Liz you should see my mum's "feral" now, I can stroke him after my getting the guts too, tis cool  ;D
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 21:13:28 PM »
Well here at teh Clan we have 45 all fully injected - every year and Program every 6 months, wormed every 3 months and all hale and hearty ranging from aged 18 years young to 2 at 9 months

We also have 2 who dur to their nasty feral ways live happily as house cats, love the other cats, the dogs, food, and the digs but are not handlable in any way shape or form, worming is an art form and as the rest are injected I don't worry about them

We have also had FIV cats here to who have been injected as my choosing after careful discussion with the vet

As we are a rather large cat family we choose to do this

My outside ferals are wormed and we try to profender them at least once in the summer but all are now trap savy so we just monitor them

I do beleive that its is the owmners choice - not much chance of ours going to a cattery I would need a whole one :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 21:03:35 PM »

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 20:40:48 PM »
WOW one of mine is not done, does that mean Im stupid and dont care?

You can obviously tell I think it's a load of rubbish!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 20:43:21 PM by CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls »
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 20:09:01 PM »
I think it is everywhere. We have had people asking if we can look after their cat/s while they move or go on holiday. We never can and know what they are going to say when we suggest catteries.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 19:59:58 PM »
catteries are the real problem here

anyone who lives alone, without anyone nearby who could look after their cats in an emergency, dare not risk being unable to use a cattery
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 19:55:02 PM »
Fred and Vic are going to be boostered soon, two years almost exactly after their initial vacc.s, which included Felv. The vet is insisting that they are given full vacc.s again, but I'm reluctant to do this. Which of us is right? Normally, I don't booster at all, but they've been indoor for about a year. My usual theory is that they are naturally boostered when they go out by meeting other cats who carry various nasties, but this hasn't been happening because I've kept them in.

Also, I'm thinking of taking new cats into the house. They will be vaccinated first.

Which should I do: boosters or vaccinations?

PETS AT HOME don't make you start the course again (well our local ones don't)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 18:39:06 PM »
I have never bothered here either, they are all  ex-ferals and its unknown if they have ever been tested, but I am moving soon and have to leave this place before I can move into the new flat and I have no idea what I'm going to do with them because I believe catteries won't take unvaccinated cats
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 18:26:08 PM »
Well , after reading that - i don''t think any of mine are going to have any more -only Winston goes out the garden and he doesn''t fight anymore (i always keep my eye onh im and make sure i know where he is and he is only gone for 10 mins or so)
All of them are now over 12 years old too, and they are always "off it" for a couple of days after -i don't think its worth it now after reading that.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 17:44:31 PM »
What i find interesting is how effective these vaccines are in giving immunity, felv jab gives 85% which is the same as the cats own immune system so for me the risk of the jab outweighs the benefit.

Thanks Den,

So every 3 years until "geriatic" age - I wonder what they consider to be geriatric  :shify:

I remember reading last year that one of the vacs is made using kidney cells and has been linked with CRF. I can't remember the details though.
Some things iv read suggested certain cells used in trial vaccines in africa is why hiv is such a problem, how much truth is in it i dont know but it makes you wonder!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 10:00:07 AM »
Quote from: Den link=topic=32869.msg587912#msg587912 date=1277108063

Dr Dodds also recommends that all cats have their thyroids tested at mid-life.
[/quote

I am going to get my lot done this year. I know "full bloods" doesn't include it as I asked last year.

It is funny what people consider old. I was talking to an elderly couple when I was at the vet with Willow last year and it wasn't looking good. They were making comments like "well she's had a good innings" etc  :Crazy: - I don't call 11 a good innings for a cat.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 09:14:23 AM »
I don't know what they mean by geriatric. I've stopped bunny boys vaccines now he's 5. Molly I'm thinking of stopping at age 8 or 9 (she's 4 3/4 now) and Memphis I'm thinking about 9 or 10. I think a few vaccines spread throughout their prime is more than enough.

Dr Dodds also recommends that all cats have their thyroids tested at mid-life.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
Thanks Den,

So every 3 years until "geriatic" age - I wonder what they consider to be geriatric  :shify:

I remember reading last year that one of the vacs is made using kidney cells and has been linked with CRF. I can't remember the details though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:59:36 AM by Mark »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »
Dr Jean Dodds has.

Scroll down. Cats are mentioned too!
http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 08:47:39 AM »
I have heard this before but asked the vet for advice last year and he told me to get them all done with full vacs. I still wonder if it was one of the things that tipped the scales for Willow. I wish there was somewhere to get completely unbiased advice. I wonder if someone like Dr Addie has written about it. Kylie is the only one that might possibly get into a fight. Clapton refuses to go out any more and Alice might go out for grass or sit outside for 1/2 hour on a sunny afternoon. She would be in like a shot at the first sign of another cat. If Kylie is keeping guard, that wouldn't happen anyway  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 08:16:38 AM »
I was told something similar, but the age was slightly higher, I think it was 8, or maybe a bit older.
Please spay your cat

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 08:08:40 AM »
A lady i know who's been involved in cat rescue for over 40 years said she was once told by a vet that you don't need to vaccinate once a cat reaches SEVEN as they have all the immunities by then! My Chuch (9/10 years old)  is due for his boosters this month (last done May 2009, full course) but i don't know what to do now, after reading these comments!   :scared:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 07:56:26 AM »
Technically you should start from scratch, but it depends if they are ever going to go in a cattery.

Gillian - interesting you dont vacc oldies for cat flu, my vet told me that was the most important time to vacc, as they can't shake it off as well as if they were younger.

The yearly check is the thing that may suffer if people dont vacc, I dont think most people take them if they dont vaccinate.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 07:47:56 AM »
My vet says you need to start from scratch if you leave it any longer than 14 months.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 03:17:48 AM »
Fred and Vic are going to be boostered soon, two years almost exactly after their initial vacc.s, which included Felv. The vet is insisting that they are given full vacc.s again, but I'm reluctant to do this. Which of us is right? Normally, I don't booster at all, but they've been indoor for about a year. My usual theory is that they are naturally boostered when they go out by meeting other cats who carry various nasties, but this hasn't been happening because I've kept them in.

Also, I'm thinking of taking new cats into the house. They will be vaccinated first.

Which should I do: boosters or vaccinations?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:18:35 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 18:55:57 PM »
Purevax data sheet says enteritis doesnt need an annual booster, they make the flu part seperate so you can easily choose not to have it done  ;D I also dont vax for felv and dont believe annual boosters are necessary, human immunity isnt boostered every year is it, the cost would be huge!

They should still have a yearly check even if they dont get vaccinated, a good chance to pick up any problems

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 16:43:27 PM »
I've never vacc'd against FelV and never will, and also don't vacc my oldies for cat flu and enteritis. My vet is the same as Desley's, if I take in cats of unknown vacc status, we just do boosters, definitely not whole course, and only for cat flu/entertis. I used to do cat flu boosters religiously, years back, but a couple of mine got cat flu anyway (not 100% preventive I know) and one nearly died, despite having been boosted.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 15:23:21 PM »
I stopped Sophies at 12 -but she only totters into the garden a few times a week for an hour or so -she is 16 now.

Smartie had his this year (not the Felv one though ) -as he will be almost 14 when he is next due i am debating whether to bother or not as he does feel unwell after for a day or two and he does have a heart condition and asthma and he never goes in a cattery or outside the garden either.

Winston has had the lot -but he was a bit of a bully in his younger years (still is a bit with other cats )and he occasionally used to fight , he doesn't hardly ever now and not sure about his for next year either as he will be a teenager then .
Fifi has had them all too , but she is also going to be a teenager next year -so not sure about any of mine having them for the future as all are off it for a few days after them , and i don''t want them to suffer more as they are all getting old now.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »
One of the parts of the annual vaccine does last two years, but the other part only lasts one year, which is why they are both done annually. Mine have never had a full course while being with me (we dont know if they were done as youngsters though), my vet is happy to just start at boosters with their age, and they are only done because i foster, Molly doesn't even bother coming downstairs, never mind go out, and Zi looked interested looking out the window last night, so popped her in front of the open door and she shot back upstairs!! I refuse to vaccinate against FeLV though, and am sure they dont need it at their age.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »
I do vac every year even though Amber is an indoor cat but as she needs to go in a cattery if I go away they wouldnt take her without vacs
love
Tab

Link to CatChat