Author Topic: Swelling on back of neck  (Read 6469 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Swelling on back of neck
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 00:25:19 AM »
So pleased and she is gorgeous  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 11:50:06 AM »
She is SO beautiful.  :Luv: I still can't get over someone putting her on Freecycle....maybe it was meant to happen so she got to live with you.  :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 11:17:56 AM »
I don't know JS but the possible link is strong enough for me to stick with no more leukaemia jabs for the Princess in future.  Snuggle applied and much appreciated  :)

HRH chillin this am  :Luv:.  Tiles are lovely in this weather......

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
Please send Noni a snuggle from her "other mummy" Rosella. (So was the swelling from her jab?)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 08:46:52 AM »
I thought it might just be Mark.

:evillaugh:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »
 :) that's good news
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 10:18:07 AM »
Great news! :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »
Update.

Just realised that Noni's swelling has gone down.  Not disappeared yet but definitely better than it was.  I've been trying not to mess with it so that I would notice any difference and to make sure I didn't aggravate it.  Was so worried last week so very happy today  :)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 23:24:15 PM »
Thanks all.  Fingers crossed it just goes away on its own.

Oddly, Alice also has the "blood in poo" issue as well.

The main reason I mentioned it Mark was that blood coming out of any opening was on the cancer list of symptoms that I was scaring myself with and I wanted to cover all bases  :-[  We had a bit of a laugh about it as vet wanted to know what the poo was like.  "Was it too hard?  Was it too watery?"  "No, it was quite a beautifully perfect poo in many respects, to the extent that a poo can ever be beautifully perfect, except that it had blood in it" says I.  The ABs are huge.  Stormorgyl 10mg.  1/2 a tab once a day.  "Easy to crush into food and cats don't mind it".  Pull the other one.  She sniffed her supper and said I ain't eatin that muck so I had to force 1/2 tablet down her mouth after which she polished off her fresh supper with gusto.  Am amazed that I managed it.  Strange isn't it.  Some cats you just decide you're going to win and they just know it and eventually cave in.  Vet did ask about worming but Noni had been wormed about 3 weeks ago.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 20:49:40 PM »
So pleased that Noni is hungry and seems to be fine  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 20:49:30 PM »
Glad it sounds like nothing to worry about  :hug:

Oddly, Alice alsoo has the "blood in poo" issue as well. After extensive examinations and testing, the vet could find no cause so she has has it on & off ever since we got her. They tried ABs, as well as worming her 4 times, 2 weeks apart. They even sent her poo off for testing but it came back clear. It seems to be a bit worse at the moment so I am thinking of taking her in again - whatever it is, it doesn't seem to bother her.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 16:35:21 PM »
That doesn't sound too bad, Rosella. Glad Noni is coping after her "ordeal." ;)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »
Vet says she would have noticed the swelling when Noni went in last time, if she had it then, and thinks most likely it is a reaction to vaccination and perhaps we can give FeLV jab a miss in future.  Noni has had 3 lots and that will give her some protection for the future.   

Noni has had AB and anti inflammatory jabs for swelling and is on a course of different ABs in an effort to resolve blood in stool prob that is very unlikely to be related to swelling.  Keep an eye.  If still the same in a month or gets worse beforehand, Noni to go back to vet and may go down blood test route and more investigations then but hope it will clear up on its own  :wish:. She may suggest removal if it doesn't get smaller to ensure it doesn't progress into something worse but atm it feels to soft and diffuse to be very serious.

Had a chat about cancer caused by FeLV jab.  She said stats so far were that only say 2 out of 10,000 may cause such serious problems (which I found comforting being a numeric kind of person) and jab in leg is only suggested as leg is easier to amputate than remove any cancerous area from neck area.  No evidence to show cancer caused by the act of injecting and protocol in UK is still to inject in scruff.

Noni was initially very nervous but when I told VN that Noni didn't have breakfast in case blood work needed, she got out the temptations.  She gave Noni 8  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:  Vet gave Noni both injections whilst she scoffed away and didn't appear to even notice  :) :) :)  she is currently sitting by me as I type as I have a plate with bits of sausages on which I am feeding to her bit by bit and yes she's also had her proper brekkie but she's had a tuff morning  :) 

No consultation fee again so £22 all in.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:45:06 AM by Rosella moggy »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 22:48:45 PM »
I dont think the vet is right about them being 100% painless because as they get bigger they are often infected and painful......thought it was fatty lumps that moved around not cysts but may have it the wrong way round.

I had a cyst on my back the same time as Kocka had hers and it sudeenly grew. abs didnt work and it was painful and I have a small one still in same place and that doesnt move. I think my original one was lanced but removal is better cos it doesnt spread the infection.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 21:03:25 PM »
Hope all goes well at the vets. Goes without saying Nonis "other mummy" would like you to give her a don't worry cuddle.  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 19:36:49 PM »
I've just noticed Noni has quite a large swelling (soft lump) on the back of her neck just above her left shoulder blade  :(

That is the exact same place Alice has her cyst. They said to keep an eye and take her back if it got bigger quickly. It must be 2 years now. It is a tad bigger but obviously nothing more than they thought - I'm sure it will be the same for Noni  :hug:

The vet said a you can move a cyst around as if it is fixed to the inside of the skin rather than the flesh below.

The vet said they are 100% painless and should only be removed if they are large enough to cause discomfort - ie problems with walking.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 19:38:43 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 19:28:36 PM »
Thanks for responses.  Much appreciated  :)

We'll be seeing same lady vet so hope she will remember Noni's reaction to being "scruffed" before injection coz of course I'm second guessing myself the more I read.  

It is more of a flattish swelling than a domed lump (over an inch in diameter so not small).  I've no experience of cysts but thought they would be more of a rounder lump? Am sure you realise I've been reading FAB references to vaccination problems MM and am trying to convince myself that Noni has had the lump for a while and she just has a bad in attentive mom.  From what I've read normal vaccine lumps would be smaller and harder?

What can I say about vets injecting in the leg except she didn't.  Tell you what though, I will ask before any future boosters and just hope this time is a coincidence.  

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 18:58:51 PM »
Good luck at the vets, hopefully it won't be anything serious. :hug: :hug:
Smartie had a fatty lump removed when he was about 8 years old and Sophie has quite a big fatty lump on her side and a small one above her eye and she had the abscess - but she is 16 .

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 18:58:15 PM »
Vaccine lumps can linger so try not to worry  :hug: do vets not put felv in the leg anymore?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 18:55:24 PM »
Our first cat Penny got a lump in the exact same area, it just seemed to appear over night and we took her to the vet and it was a cyst which the vet lanced.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 18:55:58 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 18:38:18 PM »
Could be a cyst and they can get painful and a very difficult place to have one cos of jabs, if thats the case.

Kocka had one for years on her side and vet didnt want to do anything and eventually it burst but by then she was 18yrs old and had to have an op to remove it, could have been avoided if removed when it was smaller and she was younger.

Hope its a fatty lump but if so still a bad place to be, I feel.

Loads of good wishes for tomorrow  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Swelling on back of neck
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 18:11:50 PM »
I've just noticed Noni has quite a large swelling (soft lump) on the back of her neck just above her left shoulder blade  :(

No idea how long she has had it as the fact that she's a bit chubby and fluffy can hide quite a bit.  She had her vaccination on 1 June (booster inc FeLV) so perhaps it's a reaction to that although seems a long time for swelling to hang around.  I remember lady vet commenting before giving her the jab that Noni "is one of those cats that doesn't like being scruffed"  Noni had reacted when vet tried to grab/scruff back of her neck before inserting needle so maybe she already had the lump then and grabbing it was painful?

Doesn't seem to bother her (altho I haven't grabbed it) so don't think it's an abscess as they are usually quite painful before they burst and no evidence of any broken skin.  A bit like a fatty lump.  She is only 3 1/2 and I have only experienced fatty lumps in much older cats and think they are a bit uncomfortable?

We're off to vet at 9.10 am tomorrow but wondered if anyone might have any thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 18:29:03 PM by Rosella moggy »

Link to CatChat