Author Topic: Pepsid AC  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Pepsid AC
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 06:33:32 AM »
I have to cut Pep's Istin int 8 and used to use a pill cutter (which was useless) then I tried using an ordinary small knife and it cuts it so much better, in 1/2 then 1/4s then 1/8ths
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 12:54:16 PM »
There may be another drug from the same family available if you ask the vet, there certainly are in humans (cimetidine = Tagamet, ranitidine=Zantac). Easiest way to divide a tablet into tiny amounts is to crush it and split the powder with a razor blade, then try to get that down. My pharmacy is rather rusty but given that these drugs are sold without prescription I suspect they are pretty safe if you get the dose a little wrong. Cimetidine can be used in very small children and there is a liquid form which would be easy to dose, tho whether you can get a veterinary version I couldn't say.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:44:15 PM »
Famotidine ( Generic rather than pepsid ) arrived today!

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 21:53:54 PM »
Thanks Helen!
Yes I did know that my vet could prescribe Famotidine...but as you say, there is a problem with cutting the tablet. For now I still have a small precious supply, donated by some one on this site...and am eagerly awaiting delivery of the new stash. I will look at ebay.com
Paddy seems to be over this last bout of pancreatitis...but now I have found something that makes him feel so much better, I want to keep it on hand.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 18:54:08 PM »
I was on holiday when you posted this, Pepcid AC is (Famotidine 10mg) used to be available over the counter but they stopped selling it in the UK.  You can get famotidine 20mg in the UK with a vet prescription but the difficulty would be dividing it into the correct dose. The Pepcid AC (10mg) is cut into 4 so the 20mg would have to be cut into 8 - no easy task!

I used to buy mine from ebay powersellers (ie reputable) in the US. Not all would ship to the UK but some did, I couldn't find any overseas pharmacies that were prepared to ship it to the UK so hope your supplier works out for you but if not then ebay. com (rather than .co.uk) is always an option.

Pepcid gave me almost 2 precious years with my beloved Tiggy as her main issue with teh CRF was nausea, if she'd been nauseous all the time I couldn't have let her go on.

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#famotidine

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 13:00:23 PM »
www.CanadaDrugs.com
For anyone who is interested....free international shipping too!
The pepsid is really helping him....he was sick again at breakfast, but I gave him his dose and half an hour later he was much brighter and ready to eat again.

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
Pepsid AC
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:40:45 AM »
Some time ago someone on here was kind enough to send me a small supply of Pepsid  AC which i had heard about on various US forums. I am now using it to help with pancreatitis, but would like to know if there is an eqivalent to buy here in uk, or an online supplier who will ship.
Thanks

Link to CatChat