Author Topic: How to look after a 21 year old cat!!!  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: How to look after a 21 year old cat!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 13:08:37 PM »
Thanks R - if they all get chicken every day, do you reduce the rest of their food to accommodate it?

I don't think I overfeed her altho have never really thought of the chicken as a meal as such.  Between 6 they get almost a whole breast of chicken every day, i.e. it's my dinner (I have the edges and piles of veg - I've lost almost 2 stone over the last few years  ;) )  This supplements their 1 1/2 pouches a day each plus a portion (small handful) of dry for supper (Noni gets about half the dry portion.  It's sad.  She is constantly on the look out for any leftovers but rarely find any  :( )  Titbits are kept to a minimum although she also usually gets a teeny bit of ham from sandwiches.  Anyway interesting to know that the chicken has more content to it than I thought.

Sounds like Toby is very lucky to have you and MIL taking care of him Lizzy and hope he rewards your care with lots of l :cat rub:

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »
Hi everyone
               He eat's eagarly he will eat anything you put in front of him,he's constantlly hungry i just give him it when he wants which is all day,thankyou to everyone for all the advice it really helps me.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 08:24:09 AM »
I might actually get them one when I get my new pet, who will be able to eat the bones (There is a thread in non cat chat, I wont take this one over anymore), they might really enjoy that for a sunday treat. The slices we get (well, not really slices actually, more pieces) are proper chicken rather than sandwich stuff, I will check the ingredients when I Get the next lot.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 08:09:20 AM »
The cooked chickens are chilled - they are quite new so I am guessing that all the stores have them. I have found most of the chicken slices have added nasties like phosphates & salt - not to mention the welfare aspect - it usually comes from Thailand or Brazil so you can imagine. I can understand you not wanting to deal with a whole chicken being veggie though.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »
Thanks R - if they all get chicken every day, do you reduce the rest of their food to accomodate it? Mark, it isn't cos they would eat more, as it has mainly been wet food, so easier to tell volume than dry. She just gets Asda's normal sliced chicken (Zia is fussy with real meat) - I dont want to deal with a full chicken, being vegetarian. My co-op hasn't sold cooked hot chickens for a few years now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 02:20:50 AM »
I'd check that his thyroid levels aren't too high. It may be necessary to up the meds used to dampen the thyroid's activity.

Many elderly cats develop some form of kidney malfunction. Many people on Purrs have experience with this. Try to give Toby food low in phosphorous but high in calories. Does he eat eagerly? Or is he fussy? If he'll eat what you put in front of him, just give him more. If he's fussy, try the "real meat" idea.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 21:38:48 PM »
Which chicken do you give Molly Desley?

The cooked chickens in the Co-op are excellent. I started buying them because they are high-welfare but they are also excellent quality. I don't know how they cook them but they are really greasy (in a good way) - OH & I usually have a meal using the breasts and the rest of it gives Alice & Clapton a meal each a day for the best part of a week. I have never known chickens to have s much met on then. I just thought the amount of fat in them might help Molly. Clapton & Alice go crazy for the skin & nasty bits  :evillaugh: - also, the only additive is a bit of brown sugar - no phosphates, nitrates, salts etc added.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 21:26:15 PM »
Rosellla - Molly's is to help her keep her weight on - as she has intestinal lymphoma,

I'm truly sorry to hear that Desley and send a  :hug: to Molly.

I only asked about the chicken as Noni has weight problems (due solely to greed as far as I can tell) and she gets a smallish plate of chicken every evening (they all do as a treat) which I've always assumed is nothing of any consequence.  Apologies for getting slightly off topic as ensuring Toby remains OK is main issue.  It's so nice to hear that he is so well cared for Lizzy  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 09:22:27 AM »
I think it varies between brands. Could be that they eat more if it is regular food. I know my lot are more enthusiastic about eating adult food.

This article says that Whiskas senior food is more energy dense than the adult http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/science.html

I have seen other things that agree with what you said.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:26:41 AM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 08:05:59 AM »
Must just be the food I buy then, as i have had to take loads of oldies off senior as they dropped too much weight.
Rosellla - Molly's is to help her keep her weight on - as she has intestinal lymphoma, she can only eat certain foods, and can only eat so much food - I can't give her a third pouch as her stomach cant tolerate it.
Please spay your cat

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 19:35:41 PM »
Tobys thyroid were checked last month he as routine blood test's every 3 months,thankyou everyone for the feeding tips and i will introduce anything gradually. :thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 16:37:15 PM »
My youngest girl gets two plates of chicken a day to help her weight

Is that to put weight on Desley or help her lose weight?  Sorry for being dim.  I've always assumed chicken is like diet food

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 15:30:48 PM »
The mature dry food gooey gets is higher in calories, oilier too

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 08:28:38 AM »
I think there are 2 different train of thought on this issue and I am sure some manufacturers reduce protein but increase calories due to reduced appetite. The other benefits of senior food are the extra antioxidants and reduced phosphorus.

I still have issues as I think a lot of manufacturers say that their food is reduced in fat to appeal to people. Cats are designed to metabolize fat - it is the carbs they should be reducing but it isn't in their interest as the cereals are the cheapest ingredient.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 08:09:21 AM »
Sorry to hear about your MIL

Senior food actually has less calories, because oldies dont do as much, so isn't good for thin seniors - the vet nurse recommended a tin of Hills a/d once a week for one of my oldies, who we struggled to put weight on. I would also do a very gradual change, as diarrhea wont be good for him. When was his thryoid levels last checked? My youngest girl gets two plates of chicken a day to help her weight (She has always been a small cat).
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 21:45:14 PM »
I feed the light version to my to my 2 girls but you probably want the regular senior http://www.vetuk.co.uk/hills-science-plan-pet-food-hills-science-plan-senior-cat-c-62_578_115_133/hills-science-plan-feline-mature-adult-active-longevity-2kg-dry-p-562
The meat content is really good - much better than their adult food.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 21:53:24 PM by Mark »

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 21:00:17 PM »
Hi Everyone
                Thankyou for all your advise i was thinking about senior food so i think i will do that and i will go on vet uk and get the hills food.
I just want to keep him ticking over for as long as i can keep him warm and happy with the best food and his medication.
I want to keep toby going as its like keeping a part of my mother in law with us and she knows i will devote my time to toby its a very hard time at the moment very emotionally tirering and jumping every time the phone rings as it could be any day thankyou to you all i will keep you up dated. :thanks: :scared:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 14:36:57 PM »
 I forgot to add that I also have an 18 yr old hyperthyroid cat and he's not got much fatter since he was diagnosed (last year just before we adopted him) but is ok  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 14:33:53 PM »
Sorry to hear about your MIL  :hug:

Not much advice I can give except if you don't already, it might be an idea to feed her senior food as it is higher in calories due to the fact that senior cats tend to have smaller appetites. Also the vitamins are a bit more concentrated to make up for them eating less. Hill's food has a reputation for weight gain so I would try her with Hill's senior dry food along with senior pouches, such as whiskas and/or Felix.

PS - VetUK has Hill's dry food on 3 for the price of 2 at the moment  ;)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 14:27:31 PM »
Sorry about your mother in law.  :hug:

My Elsa was about 17/18 when diagnosed as hyperthyroid and had became very thin and boney. Even with the meds she never really put the weight back on, no matter what I fed her, but she was fine in herself and so I didnt worry too much, she lived till she was 20 yrs.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 13:20:43 PM »
So sorry to hear about your mum-in-law  :hug:

I have a cat who's about 25/26 now and she is also pretty thin, I basically just give her what she wants so that she has quality of life and enjoys and eats her food.  When we first adopted her she was 22 and we gave her cat milk each morning and that built her up quite a bit but she went off that.  She loves some oily fish like tuna or sardines a couple of times a week too but the vet always says she keeps a good weight, I suppose it's less strain on the joints and has other health benefits too when they are older to be a bit thinner.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
How to look after a 21 year old cat!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 13:05:50 PM »
Hi everyone
                You might remember i wrote about my mother in laws old cat having an operation on its leg.
The situation as changed,my mother in law as been diagnosed with terminal cancer and only got weeks left to live so we have said we will take toby on after,toby as thyroid and is controlled with medication but is very thin and boney which i know is through been old.
I was wondering if there is anything i could start feeding toby to build it up a bit?
it is in good health other wise and its leg as healed up really well.
Hope you can give me some advice as ive never looked after a very old cat before.

Link to CatChat