Author Topic: Lacie is diabetic  (Read 14352 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Lacie is diabetic
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2010, 16:45:04 PM »
Really hope Lacie is more responsive to the PZI. I've heard good things about it, although we never had any real fluctuations with Tobes on caninsulin.   Topping up the hugs. :hug: :hug: And for Lacie too: :catlove2:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Lindsey (thefunkyinuit)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2010, 16:26:42 PM »
Thanks, I really need the hugs right now  :(
I had an update around 1:30pm, her glucose levels were 25 this morning, then went down to 20 an hour after her 4 units of caninsulin and then back up to 25 and hour after that.
Shes gone back on the drip, good news is that she has no ketones in her urine and her electrolytes are almost back to normal.
The vet has given us one last thing to try, which is to change her insulin to PZI. I think they are planning to send her home again tonight and try the PZI to see if that works and she can be regulated at home, if not then they said that they've done all they can do.  :'(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2010, 14:55:47 PM »
Poor Lacie. I always think that with things like that the situation must feel so undignified for such an independent animal. Sending you lots of hugs. :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 13:26:27 PM »
What a worrying time  :hug: I have absolutely everything crossed that she can get through this and become stabilised  :hug:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 13:19:40 PM »
Well, she was all bright and quite happy last night, she had a little bit of food but was drinking and weeing alot still, the vet said that that would happen because her glucose levels were still high. I got woken up at 1am this morning, she was sleeping in the bedroom window as usual and just had a wee where she was sitting  :( I rang the out of hours vets and they said that as she was still bright and alert, just to keep an eye on her but that she had done it several times over the weekend too. This is so out of character, she has never been like that, she has always been so clean, its like she didn't have the energy to get up and go downstairs to her litter tray. I took her to the normal vets this morning for her glucose curve and she did another wee on the way there. I explained how she had been and about the wetting herself and the vet said it wasn't a good sign and she didn't seem to have had the improvement she was expecting. Its not looking good. I was sent home from work again today and advised to take a few days off because of stress and getting upset and stuff. I'm waiting on an update from the vets now, they said they would ring around lunch, haven't heard anything yet but no news is good news.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »
Great news, I hope her recovery continues ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2010, 22:57:27 PM »
Very encouraging, hope she continues to improve  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2010, 22:53:27 PM »
Oh thats good news  :hug: - she looks happy to be home.  :)

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2010, 22:21:19 PM »
 :Luv2: aaawwwww bless her little paws....hope she conitinues to make good progress :Luv2:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2010, 22:10:24 PM »
Lacie is gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2:

So pleassed the emergency vets have helped her and now its time for your vet to do the same  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2010, 22:03:07 PM »
Yes! Much better news, I'm so pleased. She does indeed look happy to be home; bet you're pretty glad too. ;) :hug:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2010, 21:46:29 PM »
Hi everyone, the vets decided that Lacie was well enough to come home tonight, shes so much brighter and they were happy that she doesn't need to be on a drip anymore. Her glucose levels are still high though so she needs to go for a glucose curve tomorrow at the regular vets. She has been put on 4 units of caninsulin, they have said they need to see if the dose is correct or if she might need a different insulin. I'm alot happier but know shes not quite out of the woods yet.

Heres a pic of her, I think she's pretty glad to be home!  :Luv2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2010, 09:21:51 AM »
Any updates on Lacie? :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2010, 23:24:39 PM »
This sounds a bit more positive and hope that your vet is patient and gets her properly balanced before trying to make any heavy decisions.

Lots of love to both of you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2010, 20:33:09 PM »
 :hug: fingers crossed

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2010, 20:24:02 PM »
:care: - for you, :care: - for Lacie. Glad she seemed a little better.

• Senior Cat
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2010, 19:03:00 PM »
I've just got back from visiting her and she seems pretty bright, there are no ketones in her urine and she is eating.
They said they were going to keep her on the fluids but try her back on her caninsulin tonight, her glucose levels wern't too bad at 16 when they last tested it.
She was alot more stable on her legs, she went for a little walk around the room and did a little wee wee in the corner.....oops! At least they got a sample!  :innocent:
I'm not going to get my hopes up too much because its still touch and go with her recovery and I don't want to set myself up for even more heartache.
We will just have to see how it goes with the regular insulin now. I'm going to phone for an update later tonight. x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2010, 16:25:47 PM »
Any news on how she's doing today?  :hug:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 13:31:55 PM »
Hi,

I am so sorry to hear about Lacie. :(

I adopted a diabetic boy, Sweep, last year in May 2009 and it's been very stressful: we nearly lost him once (he was on a drip at the vets for 3 days after a hypo attack).

I just wanted to say that cats are notoriously difficult to regulate so please don't blame yourself:  Sweep was in the vets for a fortnight being stabilised after his initial diagnosis, and he went back regularly for glucose curves for a few months until I felt confident to do them myself at home.

Sweep is not a typical diabetic in other aspects though, as his body seems to tolerate high glucose levels (he is suspected of having acromegaly: a condition which makes his body insulin resistant) and quite often we get readings in the 20's or sometimes even 30 plus, and he has never been ketonic.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is, that any change in the insulin dose (up or down) does take a few days to take full effect, so I'm really hoping that Lacie will respond to the 3 units and overcome this crisis.   :wish:   

Thinking of you
 :hug:

Nicky
  X

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »
That update is so not what I was expecting. I'm so sorry and really hope Lacies levels return to normal REALLY soon. Sending all the get well vibes I can muster. :care:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2010, 23:23:44 PM »
I was just replying on the insurance thread but lost the post again!

But was just typing that 3 weeks is not long to stabalize a diabetic cat I believe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just sending loads of good wishes for her  :hug: :hug:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 23:18:50 PM »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 23:03:52 PM »
I am so sorry that she is not doing so well and hope that things improve for her over the weekend  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 22:43:18 PM »
Oh, I'm so sorry  :hug: I'll keep everything crossed that she responds to treatment over the weekend, sending lots of positive vibes for you and Lacie.  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 22:39:54 PM »
So sorry to hear this  :( Really hope she can pull through and you don't have to make that agonising decision  :hug:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 22:35:20 PM »
Hi everyone, its not good news i'm afraid  :(
She has been at the vets all day today, she had a glucose curve but had to be on a drip again. Her glucose levels were at 23 this morning, it was at 11 before her insulin at about 7:30 last night and she hadn't eaten much at all so it should've been low. They gave her 3 units of insulin this morning and for some reason her glucose levels went UP to 28, the highest its been. She also had some ketones in her urine. She has eaten 3 saucers full of tuna and some ham today, her glucose levels went down to 15 and then 14 and then 10 by 6pm. It was suggested that she would need to be kept in overnight on a drip so we transferred her to the out of hours vets. She will probably need to be there all weekend. I just rang them for an update and she has had some food and has settled in but her glucose levels have gone up a bit again. I had a very long talk with my normal vet and she explained that the prognosis wasn't good and that at some point we have to draw a line so that she doesn't suffer. I made the decision to give her the weekend and if she doesn't respond to the treatment I will have to make the hardest decision of my life and have her put to sleep. I'm in tears while typing this, I can't believe I might have to say goodbye to my best friend, I can't imagine my life without her. I love her so much and only want whats best for her. Some kind words and advice would be greatly appreciated right now.  :'(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 17:41:36 PM »
Sending healing vibes Lacie's way :care:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 17:23:32 PM »
Lots of love tp Lacie  :hug: :hug:

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 15:52:34 PM »
Really sorry to hear that Lacie has DKA, I hope she is recovering well.
Have you thought about getting a human blood glucose monitor such as the Freestyle Lite and testing her at home? That way you know for sure that her BG is in safe range and need never gain worry about DKA or Hypo attacks.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 13:53:22 PM »
How scary - hope Lacie is massively improved today. :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »
Sorry to hear about Lacie, so worrying  :hug: - but it sounds as though she's a bit brighter today, hope she can come home very soon.  :hug:

Thats a lovely picture of her by the way  :Luv: :Luv:

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 12:23:58 PM »
I had to rush Lacie to the emergency vet last night, she was refusing food, drinking alot of water, she vomited and was very lethargic and wobbly on her feet.  :'(
The vet said that she had become ketonic and she was very dehydrated, so was put on a drip and kept in overnight. She is at my regular vets now, still on the drip, but she has had some food now and they have said she seems quite bright and happy, so thats a good thing. I'm just so worried about her though.  :scared:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 15:09:58 PM »
I agree totally with Milly's mum....look for a wet food with les than 10% carb content....Bozita, Animonda Carny, Butchers clasisic or whiskas/felix jelly (not gravy ) versions  at a push. Feeding ANY dry food is like pouring petrol on a raging fire and then trying to put it out.  Meanwhile the pancreas is being damaged further by the high glucos levels.IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. Dry foods are high in carbohydrate which raise blood sugar....which you then try to bring back down with Insulin.  Doctors don't tell diabetic patients to eat kitkats for breakfast do they? Most vets have limited experience in dealing with diabetes and will not understand TR....or will not think that an owner would be willing to take responsibility in that way.
Sorry if I am going on rather but I am passionate about this and really really want to be of help.
I know it is all very daunting at this stage....but do ask about changing food to regular low carb wet, and please do consider at least some home testing, it will put you much more in control of what is going on and will help you avoid the dreaded hypo attack.

I've only read bits and bobs about feline diabetes but would look to cut out carbohydrates if Noah were diagnosed as cats have no dietary requirement for carbs. The low carb approach also sounds sensible based on what I know about human diabetes - lifestyle modification is far more important than medication in delaying progression of the condition and development of co-morbidities (e.g. eye and heart problems). It is excess sugar in the blood which damages the tissues, better never to allow that to build up than to treat with high doses of medication. In humans the best diet is low GI not low carb and obviously type 1 diabetics always require medication as well.

Sorry if that sounds preachy when it is not intended, human healthcare is what I do for a living so it's the way my brain thinks.  :-[
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 22:45:59 PM »
Feeding a cat a low carb wet diet can lower BG by around 5 /6 points.

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 22:39:25 PM »
Lacie went for a check up today, the vet thinks she defo seems brighter in herself but she has lost a little bit more weight (prob due to the heat this week!) She said not to worry too much because we're still trying to get the right balance of food, excercise and insulin. She tested her blood glucose and its still pretty high so shes going in for another glucose curve on friday. She also checked her kidneys and liver and all are functioning fine which is great  ;D I think she is feeling a little better, shes eating more and has ventured outside and had a tiny bit of a play so i'm feeling optimistic at the mo!  :Luv2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
Lacie is lovely! :) :Luv:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »
Glad to hear things are going well  :hug:

that's a beautiful photo of her  :Luv2: :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »
Hehe, yeah, I'm a born worrier so panic at the little things, never mind this diagnosis!
Yesterday I was worried because she hadn't been for a poo in about 4 days, I rang the vet to arrange her next appointment to check her glucose levels so thought I would mention it, they said it was a bit worrying and ended up making an appointment for this morning.....half an hour later I took her out in the garden to encourage her to poop and low and behold she did a normal but MASSIVE poo, no wonder she was reluctant to go!  :rofl:

I've asked my mum if she can be Lacie's secondary caregiver, for when I go on holiday e.t.c, she said she would but when I took the needles and the little bottle of water for her to practice drawing up with she kindly informed me that she has a needle phobia!  :innocent: Shes gonna try and get over it for us though! I'm going to have to get my hubby involved with the injections too, I've not pushed it too much just yet because he nearly fainted watching me do it for the first time...pfft good job I don't have a problem with needles isn't it?! x

Lacie wasn't in a modelling mood this evening so I took a pic of her snoozing instead!  :Luv2:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 20:54:11 PM by thefunkyinuit »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
Great that you are figuring things out. I think part of the problem with this sort of diagnosis is that it can make you panic. (I know it did me!) But luckily my partner (who adored Toby too) was the voice of reason. He volunteered to do the injections if I felt I couldn't and talked to me about how once a medication level is sorted it's a controllable illness to a degree. He was right, and Toby was such a calm cat that he made it so much easier, bless him. :Luv:

The odd thing is the number of people I knew who looked at me gobsmacked - a lot of them said things like "I didn't know cats COULD be diabetic." (They say it about dementia too, not sure how they think cats work.... ;))

Looking forward to pictures of Lacie modelling her new collar.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 19:13:22 PM »
Im glad your feeling more control with her condition, fingers crossed the increase will get her sorted

Link to CatChat