Author Topic: What do you feed your cat(s) and why?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
Re: What do you feed your cat(s) and why?
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 20:40:40 PM »
Classic cans, whiskas pouches and Feline biscuits. (Same ingredients as JWB but cheaper!)

Where do you get Feline biscuits, JackSpratt?

My Belle had cystitis last year and now mine eat Bozita mainly, and occasionally Encore, Hi-Life, and their absolute favourite, Sainsbury's Perfectly Meaty chunks in gravy, it's the one and only food I can put down and know the bowls with all be licked clean. Belle was a big lover of dry food but now he only gets a handful now and again, of Applaws dry, trying Almo Nature at the minute and they like that. They have the odd bit of raw mince, chicken wings and have managed whole raw chicken drumsticks (although only Daisy and Tigger are keen on the raw chicken). *Touch wood* with that and a Cystaid capsule every other day Belle's doing great, he had a check up a couple of months ago and everything's perfect cystitis wise. I hope you find something your cats get on well with :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »
One thing you could do if you want to give Noah some real meat every day is cook a batch up and freeze in small portions. I used to do this for Kylie - (and will start doing it again now I have remembered  :evillaugh:) and take a portion out of the freezer each morning to defrost in the fridge. By the evening, it was thawed and ready to eat - I would normally take it out of the fridge 1/2 hour before feeding to get it to room temp. I even used to make up a batch of fish when we went away and Gill the feeder would take a bag out of the freezer when she gave the cats their breakfast so Kylie could have her Coley in the evening  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:32:58 AM »
I feed anything that is high meat/ low grain content, understandable ingredients and reasonably priced. Feline Fayre, Bozita pate and Purely for wet food, plus some Orijen kibble and raw (Value frozen chicken portions, offal, pork tongue, diced rabbit) but I am not planning on buying any more Orijen due to the cost.

The litter tray is  :sick: on some foods - I think those containing lots of grain or tuna - but is odourless on raw, in a flat that really matters!!  I am lucky that Noah wolfs down almost anything meaty including stolen stuff. :innocent: He purrs only for prawns or for raw meat, so again that contributes to the decision making process. Noah is having ready made instead of raw at present due to the weather and hygiene concerns so all told I have quite a lot of 'whys'!
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 23:35:46 PM »
My cat is fed JWB dry oceon fish flavour and asdas tiger pouches in jelly as thats the only meat she will eat. She has one puch a day and rest is dry food. She also has RAW diet aswell on occasional days.

Any rescue that comes in has the same unless they need special diets :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 23:11:32 PM »
Classic cans, whiskas pouches and Feline biscuits. (Same ingredients as JWB but cheaper!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 22:46:38 PM »
Mine have ready made or home made raw, Classic (they only like the meat varieites, not the fish) Felix foil trays (again, the meat ones) Hi Life and Applaws occasionally, oh, and sometimes Bozita.  About 6 yrs or so ago I was only feeding dry - A couple of the cats had cystitis probs and one went on to get a serious blockage, and most had severe dental problems leading to the removal of teeth. Did a lot of research into feline nutrition and changed them all to wet food, and then raw (including raw chicken wings to keep their remaining teeth clean hopefully). Now, they only have a handful of dry as a treat before bedtime.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 13:50:35 PM »
Pets at Home Purely, Tesco Luxury, Tesco Finest, Tesco Just Nature, Hi Life Essentials, Hi Life regular/senior, Natures's menu, Felix senior (Jaffa only), Almo Nature/Applaws/Encore, Animonda Carny, Bozita, Schmusy, Schessir, Cosma, Porta 21, Miramor..  probably a few others!   Dry is Orijen or Encore usually but I will buy hi life or occasionally Purina One if money is tight.

Jaffa has wet food only as he is getting older (he's 13) and I think wet food is better for older cats due to potential kidney problems.   He has also had idiopathic cystitis a couple of times.  I also try to feed stuff with a high meat content and no/minimum cereals as I think that is best for an obligate carnivore.  Jaffa loves raw so I give him raw meat occasionally but not often enough to worry about the nutritional aspect.  He also gets raw chicken wings a couple of times a week.  Jaffa likes his felix so he gets some felix senior but not every meal. 

Mosi has a mix of wet and dry as he's younger and it helps to keep the costs down.  He has the same wet foods as Jaffa although he has more hi life (he loves the tins of pate but they are high in phosphorus so I rarely give Jaffa that) and no felix.  He has a half portion of wet food and I sprinkle a bit of dry on the top.  Dry food is usually Encore from Sainsburys as it is cereal free but at the moment he is having Purina One because I was skint and it was cheap!!  I buy Orijen from Zooplus sometimes too.  Mosi doesn't like raw although he will eat small pieces.

I am lucky in that they will eat pretty much anything.  Jaffa does occasionally give me dirty looks if he's gone off something, but he's usually happy to eat it again after a few weeks absence. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 13:51:08 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
What do you feed your cat(s) and why?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 13:35:48 PM »
I used to feed mine Butchers Classic canned cat food and Hills dry, basically because it was guaranteed they would both eat them and never went off them.

One of my cats now suffers from cystitis and I was advised a 100% wet diet. They now have Butchers Classic as before and Whiskers pouches because my cat will eat it with her medication in.

I'm also trialling Pets at Home Purely as the ingredients seem better, one seems okay with it, the other is picking various bits out and leaving them on the floor! I've also got some Hi Life pouches in jelly and tins in pate to try, again because the ingredients seem better.         

Link to CatChat