Author Topic: Problem with Daisy's mouth  (Read 4165 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Problem with Daisy's mouth
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »
I am really pleased to hear this
Please spay your cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 20:38:36 PM »
Ohhh relaxing is exactly what I intend to do!

Bless lovely Alice, she's had a hard time of it. She's fallen on her feet now though  :Luv:

Don't they just, Helen! Worth it though  :)

It was this time last year Belle had all his bladder issues and I was worried it was Daisy's turn to be not well, so glad it's turned out to be nothing serious!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 20:17:30 PM »
Excellent news!  :wow: They like to keep you on your toes don't they  :naughty:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 18:18:08 PM »
Great news Karen - you can relax now  :hug:

We went through it twice with Alice. First with her face (she was still a CP cat then). We knew it would be positive in her case. Then about 8 weeks later after her face tumour was operated on, they decided to ultrasound her tum - which was negative  :) They think her tum is swollen due to previous malnutrition. Her face fur had grown back by the time this was taken.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 18:28:41 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 17:51:39 PM »
Great news  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 17:27:05 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: Gorgeous girl.

The results are back all clear! Vet said just to keep an eye and if it gets bigger or seems to be bothering her to bring her back. My money's still on a bee or wasp sting. Been reading lots about it online and have read a lot about soapy residue on food bowls being a possibility so I'm making sure they're thoroughly rinsed now.

Sooo happy and relieved she's ok  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »
I hope you get some news today so you can relax over the weekend  :hug:

I know what you mean about Torties. Alice's funny little face makes me melt  :Luv2:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:35:25 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 18:16:30 PM »
The insurance claim form came today so I left it over and paid the excess. Asked the receptionist if it was on the computer whether Dais had a jab on Tuesday but she said it isn't, who knows.
Fell absolutely head over heels in love while I was in there, there was a woman in with 2 kittens, one black longhaired and a tortie. Those tortie faces melt me totally, if she'd turned her back I might've had to have catnapped her lol  :Luv:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »
Noraclav is what our vet uses for mouths - and our darling oldie the Late Miss G was on them for 9 months before she died as she was easieer to tablet than take to the vet for an injection every 2 weeks

Covenia is a more general purpose long lasting thing - all our outside ferals when having bits removed get this as a precautionary shot!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 09:43:05 AM »
Well she had one 2 weeks ago when I first took her and a course of antibiotic tablets that she finished on Sunday. I think the tablets were Noroclav 50mg and she had 10 tablets, 2 a day for 5 days.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 07:57:30 AM »
I am sure they would have told you if they had, but I am a bit surprised they haven't, if her mouth is swollen - Sam was on Convenia.

Good luck for the biopsy results
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 22:29:24 PM »
I guess they took her temperature and decided there was no need for ABs - I'm sure she will be fine  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 21:43:39 PM »
Thank you all for thinking of her, it means a lot to me  :hug:

If they gave her an antibiotic jab they didn't tell me, Mark. When I picked her up the vet who had done the biopsy was the same one who saw her last week, she said she thought the swelling had gone down since then, to me it seemed to have swollen more. I'm still feeling positive it won't turn out to be anything sinister

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 21:00:58 PM »
Glad she is home and best of luck for the results xx  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 19:44:17 PM »
Glad shes home ok  :hug:

That still seems OTT as food only takes a few hours to pass through the stomach at the most.
Iv always thought that too but every so often one of my lot will throw up around 6am and its well digested liquid that was the meal eaten at 8 the night before! So it is possible for them to puke up that much later. (I know they havnt sourced it over night as they are indoors and arent free fed!)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 14:11:10 PM »
Hope you get good news and soon  :hug:

Did they give her an AB jab?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 16:05:03 PM »
Glad she's home, fingers crossed that you get the results sooner rather than later and that it's nothiong untoward  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 15:48:05 PM »
The lil angel is home  :Luv: She's full of beans and was really hungry. The vet nurse said she was not a happy girl at all and hissed at them. I knew she'd be like that cos she's very much my cat, doesn't really like anyone else. I'm to ring on Friday afternoon to see if the results are in but it could be this time next week

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »
She's there now, I'm feeling better than I thought I would. Gonna get stuck into housework to keep myself busy. If I haven't heard anything by 3 I'm to ring them. Fingers crossed

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »
Hope all goes well  :hug:

I usually give mine their last meal about 9ish because my vet doesn't take them through to the main surgery for their ops until 11am ish.  Then it's usually something light afterwards.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »
That still seems OTT as food only takes a few hours to pass through the stomach at the most.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 07:57:30 AM »
My vets changed no eating to 10pm, as the earliest they do surgery is 10.30. Rarely get told to take the water away though. Good luck for today, I can't remember what the other biopsies showed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 22:55:04 PM »
I wouldn't let them drink after 7am as there is a small risk the can get water on their lungs under GA if it comes back up.

I was a bit annoyed with the food comment last year as when I took Willow in, they said she wouldn't be done until after surgery hours which is 1pm so she would have gone almost 24hrs without food.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 22:56:44 PM by Mark »

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 20:53:00 PM »
That's good to know. Thanks Mark. They usually get fed around 7 so it's not that much earlier tonight. I know they're not hungry cos they had some duck fillets for dinner tonight just before 6 and they ate all of it. I'll get something special for their dinner again tomorrow night and hope the lil lady's up to eating it. I will just leave the water fountain out and won't bother taking it away in the morning.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 20:40:47 PM »
It is entirely up to you Karen but I was told by the practice manager at the vets that feeding up until bedtime is fine as everything will go through the system overnight so there is no chance of them bringing it up. It is just one of those things that vets have said for years that needs updating. I always feed mine in the evening when they are going to the vets - even for a GA.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 20:28:59 PM »
I'm so glad Simon's turned out well too, Milly's Mum  :hug: The vet made a point of looking at Daisy's tongue this morning but there's no sign of anything but her swollen lip.

My gut tells me it's nothing nasty but just hate this whole thing of leaving her in the vets. When Belle was in for 3 nights last year with his cystitis I cried night and day until he came home. The house feels horrible when one of them is missing. She's fasting now, has been since 7pm. I gave them all their Whiskas Temptations as always and Daisy was loving them so between the 4 of them they've eaten half the box! They told me to take away water early in the morning too, I don't remember being told that before. Have to take her into the vets at 9.30 so I'll wait and feed the boys once I come back.

She's being her usual cuddlebum self tonight so I'm having an early night and I'm gonna hug her silly  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 19:53:48 PM »
 :hug: i hope it goes well.
Simon had what looked like cancer on his tongue, he was really poorly and had a biopsy. When he was under it was in 3 different places  :( my vet said it all seemed to be a surface thing not like normal oral cancer, my cats dont do normal so i still feared the worse! Drugs hadnt helped.
I waited best part of a week and it came back basically as scar tissue  :shify: he started eating again and im still non the wiser.
Mouths normally heal quickly, he hasnt, last time i looked the patch was still there so iv no clue what his body is doing   :Luv2: he has had problems with his gums, again prob immune system related.

Treating her problem with drugs can be hit and miss as they dont always respond like they should, i guess your vet wants to rule out the worst which is prob better than using steroids for weeks to no avail  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 17:13:03 PM »
Thanks Mark, that reassures me a bit  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 16:43:31 PM »
Clapton had a swollen mouth last year. The took a biopsy but it was an infection which cleared up quickly. No idea how he got it as he has stopped going out. Fingers crossed Daisy's will be the same  :hug:

Clapton's and Alice's biopsies both took 5 days but I'm not sure if that is standard.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 15:16:10 PM »
No idea about any of the questions but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you both  :hug: Have everything crossed that it turns out to be nothing untoward  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 15:08:25 PM »
I rang the vets and asked for the biopsy to be changed til tomorrow. They said that this morning but I have appointments tomorrow and said no. I've cancelled those now and just want the biopsy over with. Does anyone know how long the results will take?

Desley, the cats you know of who've had negative results, what did the problem turn out to be? I've been consoling myself with the fact she only has one of the symptoms for oral cancer, the swelling. No drooling, bleeding, pus, loss of weight or appetite

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:53:59 AM »
Thanks Desley. I've been (stupidly) looking stuff up online and driving myself mad. Thank God we got an appointment at 9.20 this morning so we'll see. Dreading putting her into the carrier cos she won't be a happy bunny

Edited to add: She has to go in on Monday for a biopsy
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:35:03 AM by karenjet »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »
Fingers crossed it is nothing. I've read of a few cats having biopsies on oral lumps this year and all have been negative.
Please spay your cat

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 08:27:10 AM »
To me it looks like it's swollen a bit more, it's hard to tell cos it's that little flap of skin that sits under their fangs. She had her last antibiotic last night though. I'm ringing the vets as soon as it's open hoping they'll fit her in morning surgery, I'm terrified of what they'll say.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 20:25:02 PM »
See the thing is it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, which is great! I don't think it looks any different, if it's the same on Monday back to the vet we'll go.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 20:16:35 PM »
Mostly i like a vet to be upfront but not when its a young cat with a first time prob  :hug: if her siblings have also had a similar issue it could be a family thing, some causes of it arent properly understood. Hopefully it will clear up and not bother her again

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/skin/eosinophilic_granuloma.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 00:21:35 AM »
My first thought on reading the post was a bee or wasp sting. Hopefully it's nothing untoward but let us know how she gets on  :hug:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 21:19:50 PM »
Thanks, hopefully that's what it is. No harm to the vet but I wish she'd kept her thoughts to herself about there may be something sinister behind it. It put the nasty "C" word in my mind. Just gave her her tablet and it was fine, didn't bother with Dairylea like I tried this morning, just opened her mouth, threw it in and rubbed her throat til she swallowed

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 20:55:23 PM »
It still kills fleas so would be fine  ;D spike had one from a sting and a couple from nibbling alot and causing irritation, it may have been a rogue flea dispite no evidence  :shify: so i did a spot on but it could be complete coincedence and it healed on its own  :-[

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 20:48:35 PM »
Thanks, Milly's Mum. Belle and Daisy both had rodent ulcers in the past but they cleared up. I blamed them on plastic bowls and when I changed to stainless steel they never came back, until now. I hope that is the case with the lil lady. Funny my aunt said she wondered if she'd been chasing a wasp or bee and got stung and that is a possibility.

I've never used Frontline, the vet gave me Advocate and I've always used it, would Frontline be better?

Link to CatChat