Author Topic: Metacam Dosage Confusion??  (Read 5458 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Metacam Dosage Confusion??
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 08:21:20 AM »
Cheers, saves me asking the vet!! Mark, it only lasting for 6 months wouldnt be a problem with Zi. My only other issue with Metacam is I find it impossible to tell when it is nearly empty, I shook the last bottle and thought there was plenty, and it ran out the day after - luckily it was mid week so I could get some more.
Please spay your cat

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »
I must have been thinking of the 32ml that Forest had before they introduced the cat version.  Due to his deformities he is on it quite regularly.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 08:13:38 AM »
Don't forget it only has a 6 month shelf life so a 32ml might not be very effective towards the end. I asked Lyn, the practice manager and she said it won't do any harm if it is more than 6 months old but may not work very well.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 08:09:58 AM »
It's definitely a 15ml bottle. Maybe the last one lasted longer as I kept trying to see if she could do every other day!!

I think a 3ml bottle is ideal for cats that only need it for a few days, a 15ml bottle is a lot in those situations. I might ask the vets if they do a 32ml in cat, as she is on it daily.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 20:11:15 PM »
How heavy is Magoo MM? Zi is on Metacam daily, but her bottle lasts around 3 months (she gets 2.5 on the syringe, despite being just over 3kg).

Hes 5kg so he would have 0.5ml a day so a bottle is 30 days, you should get 60 days as she has half the amount he does, maybe it just seems longer!

You can get a 3ml bottle in the cat version, its so cute and dinky! The 32ml is the dog one

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 08:51:12 AM »
How heavy is Magoo MM? Zi is on Metacam daily, but her bottle lasts around 3 months (she gets 2.5 on the syringe, despite being just over 3kg).

I think there is a 15ml size bottle and a 32ml size.  Are you sure yours is a 15ml Desley?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 08:13:23 AM »
Please spay your cat

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 23:53:01 PM »
Thanks all - I spoke to the vet today and I have been giving the correct dosage (that was a relief)
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 20:10:12 PM »
The syringe itself is the size of a 1ml, so the graduations are much smaller than that mark, if you take the maintenance dose of 0.05mg/kg and the strength of the metacam is 0.5mg/ml you can work out how much actual liquid is being given.

(Excuse my maths...)
Take a 5kg cat, they need 0.25mg which is 0.5ml of the cat suspension. So each graduation would be 0.1ml.
I think thats right as when magoo is on it daily he uses a bottle a 15ml month.

As to mg and ml its not one for tablet and one for liquid, as things are made w/v or v/v so you can have a mg strength liquid, its the amount your putting into a suspension eg if someone needs 5mg diazepam aday for 5 days but cant swallow tablets you would put 5 tabs into a 50ml suspension base making a 5mg/10ml dosage or 0.5mg/ml

Sheryl what your vet should have said is a 6kg dose but prob said 'meg' which is what my vet mutters to himself when working things out  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 07:36:48 AM »
It looks as if each marker point is 0.5ml - if so, the bottle should be about 1/2 empty?

What I don't get on the Noah page is "A clinical response is usually seen within 7 days" - Being a painkiller, I would expect it to have the pain under control in minutes, not days - even faster with the intravenous version.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
If unsure I'd always check with the vet, you could just ring the receptionist and ask them to ask the vet for you, it's best to make sure it's right.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 22:29:29 PM »
Our Tommie was on Metacam for quite a while and have to say I found dosage instructions really quite confusing esp as I was in a bit of a dither about his illness. 

Don't know if this helps a little or adds to initial confusion.   It talks of initial dose being twice the amount of follow up dose and importance of not overdosing.  I think a tele call to vet wouldn't hurt to make quite sure  :shy:.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Boehringer_Ingelheim_Limited/Metacam_0_5_ACY-nbsp_ADs-mg_ml_Oral_Suspension_for_Cats/-40679.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 22:24:05 PM »
Dont apologize to me, cos by posting its been sorted  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 22:20:33 PM »
No problem, I often think vets should explain things a bit better when prescribing some treatments.  At the price of the metacam I wouldn't like to think of a bottle lasting you only three doses.  ;D

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 22:18:13 PM »
I think Lesley has just solved it, the syringe came with the Metacam - I have to go up to 6 on the syringe (he is just over 6kg) and I presumed that was 6ml - having a very blonde day today and brain not functioning due to lack of sleep, Charlie makes more noise hobbling up and down the hall than he does when he runs up and down the hall - thanks Lesley.

Sorry for the confusion Gill  :doh:
No your not wrong Zoe - its me
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 22:16:15 PM »
 I always thought the marks on metacalm syringe are for cats weight . Mg and ml are diff to. Mg is tablets I think and ml us liquid

May be wrong
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 22:07:14 PM »
I dont know if its a typo but youe are taking about two different sort of measures................mg and ml......the first is the measure for tablet and the second for liquid.

Other than that I cant help I am afraid but others who have used Metacam maybe able to help about doseage, thew vet may have put some extra in the bottle but if there is a lot left, then sounds like the measurements are wromg..............you need to ring your vet I think.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 22:06:28 PM »
I think you will find that if the syringe is the one that specifically comes with the metacam, the markings on it are not mls but the weight of the cat, ie the number 6 on the syringe relates to a 6kg cat.  I definitely think 6mls would be an extraordinary high dose.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Metacam Dosage Confusion??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 21:58:49 PM »
Charlie is on Metacam at the moment and I think I must be losing it - the vet gave me a syringe with the Metacam and said that he needs 6mg at a time (worked out on his weight)  the little bottle clearly says 15ml.  Well so far he has had 3 x 6mg doses and there is still quite a bit in the bottle, when I went to school 3 x 6 was 18 so where has the extra come from??? - I am confused
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Link to CatChat