Author Topic: So far so good aka pee diaries!  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: So far so good aka pee diaries!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 12:36:24 PM »
Well, it was 4weeks and counting until Jaffa decided to spray the wardrobe door at 5am Sunday mornign because I was ignoring him.  He still hasn't sprayed the hall door or anywhere else and that is the only incident since I got the 2nd tray.  I think I've solved all the other causes of spraying or weeing outside the tray, but this doing it to get my attention is the hardest one to crack.  I suppose I should ignore him when he does it and wait until some time as passed so that he doesn't associate my getting up to clean it with his action.  But it's hard not to shout "Jaffa no" when I hear him.  I leapt out of bed to clean it before he did too much and then shut him out in the living room (gave him a treat  :shify:) so I suppose I rewarded him for doing it really.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 12:30:40 PM »
3 weeks :ok:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 12:21:56 PM »
2 weeks and counting  :ok:  my paper towel bill has been slashed.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 08:25:09 AM »
I am hesitant to get over confident, but we have had no spraying for a week now.  I know it is partly because I put the box up against the front door (when I leave now I kneel down outside the door and pull the box towards the door as I close it to get it as close to the door as possible.  If my neighbours saw me they'd think I was mad) but there are still options if he was determined and the box is large with holes cut in the sides so he could even get in the box and spray out the other side!  So no spraying and no going anywhere other than a litter tray.  I am  much more relaxed around Jaffa now and I can tell that he is  now that I'm no longer mithering him to use the litter tray every 5 minutes.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 13:30:21 PM »
Not quite.  When I got home yesterday, he's sprayed the front door.  Knew it would be 2 steps forward and one back.  Not sure what is attracting him back as I clean the area thoroughly.  I suspect it's nothing more than habit and I can't block the area when I'm out.  I do try sometimes to pull the box towards the door as I close it, but I can't get it close enough to stop him getting between box and door.   Mosi has started using the bathroom tray too so I hope that isn't putting him off (I don't think he really minds sharing trays but I was hoping Mosi would stick with the other one and this one could be Jaffa's) but I do scoop as soon as Mosi uses it so that it doesn't smell of Mosi.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 22:48:36 PM »
Sounds like you've cracked it  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:25:19 AM »
going well!  Got home yesterday and there was no wee at the door and some wee in the bathroom tray  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: So far so good
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:07:59 AM »
Success!  I got home yesterday to find no wee by the door and a wet patch in the litter tray (Jaffa doesn't cover)  ;D  The way he sprays the door, it tends to go underneath and into the corridor outside so when I get inside the building and the light comes on, the first thing I do is look for a little puddle outside the door! 

I am prepared for lapses as I think there is a lot of ingrained behaviour to overcome (not to mention the possible lingering smell to attract him back) but it does look as though the extra tray is the answer.  Fingers crossed he continues to use that.  He seems to prefer the old tray (with hood) for his poos, but generally uses the open tray in the bathroom for wees.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Bit of a setback last night but it was my fault.  I shut the bathroom door at night because there is a light outside the window and, as I have no blind up at the moment, it shines through into the bedroom.  I usually wake in the night when Jaffa gets up (usually around 4.30am) but last night I didn't wake up until I was woken by the sound of cat peeing!  I am very atuned to that sound!  I tried to work out where it was coming from, but knew it was too  near to be either of them in the tray.  It was Jaffa spraying the closed bathroom door.  He could have been doing it because I'd blocked the front door and the cupboard next to it (both having been used before) and he was just working his way up the hall, but the more likely scenario is because he couldn't get into the bathroom.  Even if he had planned on using the hall, I think the open bathroom door would have diverted him.  I won't make that mistake tonight and will make sure he can get to the tray in the bathroom. 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 17:29:57 PM »
I know this isn't going to be solved as easily as that

I wouldnt be too sure, it sounds good, it may well be that easy  :)  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 15:16:09 PM »
Sounds good  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
So far so good aka pee diaries!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 14:56:48 PM »
Well I have finally got Jaffa's 2nd litter tray set up in the bathroom and so far it is working well.  He is using it and when he goes into the hall and finds the front door blocked by a box, he tends to turn into the bathroom and use the tray instead.  I know this isn't going to be solved as easily as that and we will probably have 2 steps forward and one back, but the new tray seems to be a big success so far.  If I can get him into the habit of using that instead of the hall then hopefully it will become 2nd nature for him to just wander into the bathroom instead of down the hall to the door.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:24:37 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat