Author Topic: worming for scaredy cat  (Read 5546 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: worming for scaredy cat
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 19:59:08 PM »
They do indeedy MM.  My vets know me quite well  :shy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 19:36:09 PM »
my vets have a stupid rule about quarterly check ups and prescription charge just to write you a prescription!

I rang my vets last Saturday am and asked VN to put up 6 milbemax for me, one for each of them.  I popped in and collected 1/2 hour later.  Cost about £28.  No probs.  Would be interested to hear whether this is unusual for non rescue peeps. 

I assume yours goes annually for boosters, thats normally enough for them to be happy for flea/worm products  ;D Its 6 monthly to continue meds for a illness to meet their legal obligations...

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 13:15:22 PM »
Think it depends on your vets tbh and how well they know you or how they work perhaps?

I guess so - also if you have several animals, the chances are you will have been in with one or another in the last x months anyway.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 13:14:23 PM »
I never have any probs but one of the vets did say to the receptionist to give me whatever I want so not sure if that was because of CP or not  :-:

btw - they are still letting me have Milbemax 4 for the price of 3 (manufacturers offer)

I have spoken to a couple of rescue people in the past who even have emergency supplies of "ultimate pain relief" in case of serious RTAs etc.  :(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 13:11:39 PM »
Think it depends on your vets tbh and how well they know you or how they work perhaps?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 13:04:54 PM »
my vets have a stupid rule about quarterly check ups and prescription charge just to write you a prescription!

I rang my vets last Saturday am and asked VN to put up 6 milbemax for me, one for each of them.  I popped in and collected 1/2 hour later.  Cost about £28.  No probs.  Would be interested to hear whether this is unusual for non rescue peeps. 

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
It's a shame that rescues can't just order supplies of certain things. I can understand them restricting drugs but things like worm & flea treatment should be available cheaply and without the vet seeing each cat.

Im lucy with my vet. I dont have to take each cat, dog etc.. in to be seen for worming and such.. I order a supply in through them at discount rate :) My vet also keeps me stocked up with certain anti biotics for small animals like baytril spetrin etc.. as im so experienced with know about respitory problems and such so she gives me the full big bottles each time. She has also trained me to drain abscess's so I am supplied with needles and syringes aswell as hibiscrub, dressing, bandages and anti biotic creams as emg keep ins. Obviously this doesnt mean we avoid seeing the vets, I know exactly whats the onset and when they need further treatment and seeing.. difficult abscess's ive tried draining but isnt enough, or too deep set in for me I take them straight in.. If there is a lump and I am unsre if its abscess or tumour I take them in also. I spend alot of time at the vets and they have taught me alot and spent time with me teaching this, also things such as how to hold properly a animal to administrate oral anti biotics and such. Ive always got metacam in also. The relationship with my vets is the best ever and we help each other out and work as a team, they have been a god send to me for the rescue and my pets, but not that, when I have had problems personaly they have been supportive.

I set up a medical box here for the rescue so always something at hand in emg needs. I also have feeding and birthing kits, birthing tanks and such for rats and mice. I also find a few other vets we work with UK wide are simular, not as good as my vets but understand rescues and how they are experienced on certain areas. This doesnt come easy though, it takes meetings with them like an interveiw and your basicaly grilled for the knowledge you know. I am always honest and if I dont know something i will say, in return I get same back from the vets also.

This is just one box of stuff:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 12:15:57 PM »
It's a shame that rescues can't just order supplies of certain things. I can understand them restricting drugs but things like worm & flea treatment should be available cheaply and without the vet seeing each cat.

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
I use that or Advocate which is pretty much the same thing - it's a shame neither of them treats tapeworm though. Droncit spot on does though so no problem. Clapton has to have Frontline as he gets a nasty reaction to Stronghold & Advocate. Evn frontline makes his skin a bit pink but I have to use something.

Yeh I use droncit for Tapeworms also, just treat them different times to the stronghold.

We are finding frontline isnt working at all fleas just lately on the cats coming in. This is why I changed over to stronghold as it is real good and with added bonus's

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »
I use that or Advocate which is pretty much the same thing - it's a shame neither of them treats tapeworm though. Droncit spot on does though so no problem. Clapton has to have Frontline as he gets a nasty reaction to Stronghold & Advocate. Evn frontline makes his skin a bit pink but I have to use something.

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 23:39:29 PM »
I use stronghold.. its a spot on and gets rid of fleas, worms and parasites/mites all round.. Expensive stuff, but when you consider what it does it does actualy save you in the long run. I order mine through the evts and make sure ive always got puppy and kitten one in aswell as dog and cat ones.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 21:28:24 PM »

Oh, and when he has settled in  :pic:

some very dodgy pics here now

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,32609.0.html

not settled yet but baby steps  :sneaky:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 10:57:16 AM »
impressive or very hungry??? sods law ill find it in the box hes sleeping in under the bed when he decides to come out  :doh:
he was asleep on top of the bed when i went in this morning, he moved under the bed sharpish when i came in but not paniced

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 10:48:17 AM »
That is very impressive!!
Please spay your cat

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 20:34:23 PM »
ok, well problem solved! i put it in with the dry food after your comment got me thinking mark  :shify: just on the off chance Kitty would just gobble wiothout looking. its gone from the dry bowl (along with almost all the dry) and i cant see it anywhere so i dont think hes spat it out.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 18:44:54 PM »
id love to be on milbemax long term- lucifer used to just take it off my hand. but my vets have a stupid rule about quarterly check ups and prescription charge just to write you a prescription! so only have drontal at home  :( id have thought as well that the vets would have given him something but she just said after shed got him i the carrier- oo he needs worming, do you want me to get you a tablet. :tired:

i doubt hell be with me long enough for any serious options, he is essentially healthy. im not sure hell be generally scaredy just scaredy at the mo- a lots happened to him in less than 24 hours and hes been grabbed by lots of strange people and moved all over the place and then someone de- knackered him! he could have got alot more hidden if hed wanted to, and where he is hes within touching range if i wanted to.
hes eaten some food this afternoon while ive been downstairs so alittle more brave and ive left some balls, catnip toys and squeaky mice out for him. i think hell prob be out by end of week (hopefully before) it was more whether its ok to leave worming him that long as a ex-stray?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 17:58:36 PM »
We use the wrap the tablet in something they like method for our 2 worst feals Ace and Blue but do keep a spreadsheet on how and what they were wormed with us our "normal" ferals leads us a merry dance at worming time!

I do use Profender on Ace with a pair of welding gauntlets but he doesn't get the does all at once as he can be very nasty and I like my skin attached!

We use both drontal and millibex but you can get the "flavoured" dontal which ours have tried some with success and opthers like nope not eating that either looks!

I would get a feliway diffuser plugged in and perhaps a weeks supply of Zylkene tablets which are opened and sprinkled on to food it does in some cats aid with the calming process - I have used it with success on the newbies that come to the clan just so we can ensure they are all injected and done at the vet

This one sounds like he just needs a lot of tlc - we also use cat nip sacks and fresh dried stuff - we haven't had one yet - we have had nearly 200+ cats through the doors here not including the ones who are permamant residents and so far noone has resisited it - they also adore cat milk which is so readily available on the out side - we go through 20 bottles of that a week!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 16:55:47 PM »
You can get spot on wormers such as Profender which might be a bit easier than trying to get a tablet down his throat whilst he is still nervous. It's a shame the vet didn't give him a wormer whilst he was in haivng everything done as I am sure Liz's vets gives her ferals a long lasting worming injection. As for oral wormers Milbemax is a *lot* smaller than Drontal so much easier if you need to hide it.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 16:26:35 PM »
I use drontal but if I had a scaredy cat I'd definitely go for the Milbemax hidden in a treat, as Angie says let him settle first though.

Oh, and when he has settled in  :pic:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »
don't paic too much about worming straight away, see how he settles first.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:32:44 AM »
tis the issue at the mo, if i just leave drontal on food or wrapped in something wont it start to dissolve and then be obvious to cat? at the mo ive no way of knowing when hell eat it?  he waited til i was asleep to eat anything last night  :tired: he mgiht start to eat just after i leave it soon?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:14:51 AM »
Can you squash it into a piece of webbox or something. I wouldn't risk giving a cat drontal and risk foaming at the mouth - you might lose a bit of trust there  :evillaugh:

I sometime put the disguised treat on top of a bowl of food so it get hoovered up with the rest. I seem to get away with it with Milbemax but had a few mishaps with Drontal so stopped using it.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
worming for scaredy cat
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:05:07 AM »
New foster arrived last night, beautiful long haired lad- Black and white. vets had to bathe him to clear his flea infestation, shave/cut portions of matted fur and then neuter him so hes probably feeling a little sore and persecuted. he wasnt aggressive at the vets but he wouldnt eat and they thought that was down to fear.
so i put him in the spare room with a selection of food, water, litter etc- he was out of the carrier and straight under the bed.   :tired:  popped in to see if hed eaten anything a few hours later and he hadnt to i sat and read my book quietly for 15min then talked for a few min before i left. this morning, litters been used, all food has vanished, Kitty still under bed, in a box- looked at me once then shut his eyes and pretended to be a shadow  :innocent: thats the only time ive looked in on him cos i want him to feel safe but i wanted to know where he was. ill keep popping in and talking for a few mins and then being quiet (i have a silly quiet voice anyway :-[ ) so he can get used to me and know im harmless

Vet said he basically just needs recovery time and worming. i have drontal in but am i best to oik him out and worm him (possibly destroying any chance of trust ) or leave him a few days and see what happens? hes a stray but the vet said hes not that skinny-  slightly underweight so either not stray long or hes been fed by someone

Link to CatChat