Author Topic: Treating Paw pad injuries?  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Treating Paw pad injuries?
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 13:06:44 PM »
Do hope it repairs itself without any problems now .............They heal from inside out so he hopefully is just cleaning the outside  :hug: :hug:

Offline poppie123

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:47:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies  :thanks:

I took my cat to the vet yesterday and he has given him an antibiotic injection that lasts for 2 weeks. He told me to bathe it with iodine and that it should be fine, he also told me to put sudocream on it to act as a barrier but i find that very very strange so i am not doing that bit.

This morning it have had a good look and it looks more like a split straight through the paw pad from one side to the other, so it looks like the paw pad is in two halves if you know what i mean. It has scabbed over but he keeps cleaning it and making it bleed again.

I will see how it is over the next couple of days but i may have to take him back. He is not limping and it doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Offline bramble

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:30:04 AM »
hi, i agree, would definately take to vet for check up. a puncture wound can set up a deep infection. our cat smudge has had  a recurring infection in his paw. after  3 different lots of antibiotics, it still wasnt healed. next step was surgery to have a look inside his pad. a freind recommended new zealand manuka honey which has antibacterial properties. i kept putting it on his paw for a few days and his foot is now totally healed! it has never looked so clean or healthy! i am keeping a close eye on it and hoping that is the end of the infection and it wont come back. he licked the honey off his paw a few times but it is not harmful at all when eaten. hopefully he has been cured the natural way!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 22:54:21 PM »
I would definately take to vet -might need antibiotics too !

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 22:51:35 PM »
I agree with Gill .... definitely worth a visit to the vet just for a check up.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 19:58:13 PM »
Sorry dont know but believe that if an infection gets into a pawpad this can be very serious, worth ringing you vet for advice maybe?

Offline poppie123

• Kitten
Treating Paw pad injuries?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
Some of you may remember  i posted on here a couple of weeks ago about my cat Derek and the abscess i was having trouble with on his leg. Well i am pleased to report that it has now completely healed and the fur is just starting to grow back.

However, last night i found a new problem with my troublesome cat. I noticed there was a small amount of blood where he had been laying and on closer inspection it would seem he has caught one of his paw pads and taken a small chunk out of it, hence it had bled.
I bathed it with iodine solution and this morning it had formed a scab but seemed ok. It doesn't seem to bother him and he isn't limping.
He has just come home covered it what looks like green mould (god knows where he has been) and his paw pad has been bleeding again.
Does anyone have any advice on the best way to treat a paw pad injury?? i don't think it is bad enough to warrant a trip to my vet but wondered if anyone had ever encountered a similiar problem.??

Link to CatChat