Author Topic: Frontline - any alternative for ticks?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: Frontline - any alternative for ticks?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 17:16:57 PM »
I think Advocate does ticks?

We used to use the programme treatment in Germany but our vets dont do it - not sure why?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 20:51:19 PM »
It doesnt say ticks on the box.... lice,earmites, worms and fleas

I was sure they had changed it - maybe they have changed the formula again?

My old vet told me about 4 years ago it was due to be changed.

Edit - I googled and the only product that claims to prevent ticks is Frontline combo
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 20:56:17 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 20:31:13 PM »
Wer have been using Program for 8 years now and it does work on ticks they go grey = they are posioned and loose the blood supply and then fall off and we have had no issues with them on the cats or the dogs - we are also very flea free and have had no reactions unlike Frontline which left several wth bald patches and a nasty rash
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 20:27:45 PM »
It doesnt say ticks on the box.... lice,earmites, worms and fleas

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 20:21:35 PM »
Stronghold deals with ticks, fleas and worms - apart from tapeworm. You can only buy it from the vet though - annoyingly  :tired:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 20:22:50 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 20:02:45 PM »
Frontline spray is fine for adults, they make the spot on for convenience as some adults arent going to tolerate being sprayed!
Program is a flea contraceptive and doesnt deal with ticks, it stops the flea eggs developing so imo if you have a cat with an allergy to flea bites its not cutting the mustard, the data sheet says it may be necessary to use an insecticide alongside to deal with heavy infestations.

As to other treatments im not sure what else kills them, have you spoken to your vet? Fipronil is the same active ingredient but slightly different recipe so you could try that

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:42:20 AM »
Program injection works for our cats here at the clan - we do get a lot of ticks due to our rural location and it does work - it also comes in tablet form from the vet for dogs and works on our boys Sky and Sunny

It is given in injection form for the cats and we give it twice yearly - it conincides with full boosters and at the second injection a free health check to
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Frontline - any alternative for ticks?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:27:38 AM »
My boy Ollie seems to have an occasional skin reaction to Frontline. He's always been rather sensitive in that he seems to have had occasional reactions on injections sites too. This time, he has a bald spot where I applied Frontline. This does not always happen which seems odd. We have a great problem with ticks so, Ollie must be protected. I have used Frontline spray on Ollie before but is this really a good idea? Does anyone have any other suggestions for an alternative tick repellant?

Link to CatChat