Author Topic: Time of the month??  (Read 1852 times)

Offline josiek

• Kitten
Re: Time of the month??
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 16:28:01 PM »
Hi all, Tiggy was fine come Monday and back to her cheeky self, it was the fur ball every bit of fur was brought up and is now fine, the biscuits that i got her to bring the furball up must of been too strong for her tummy, i think next shop i will get her some furball biscuits for her diet rather than wait for the cough, as these can be digested easily, glad it was the furball and nothing else.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 08:08:27 AM »
Yep, that does happen in cats too, and not just in the elderly
Please spay your cat

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 18:06:32 PM »
This might not be relevant, but humans who have chronic constipation can also get diarrhoea as it 'leaks' around the blockage.  :sick: It's not uncommon in the elderly in part due to lack of physical activity stimulating the bowel and dehydration makes the problem worse. I note that your cat is indoor so won't be getting as much exercise as some cats; is she having an all dry diet/ is she a good drinker?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline josiek

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »
lol lol lol  at Kylies furball thats just like Tiggys only she is shorthaired?????Maybe as it had been going for so long her trying to bring it up that it was long, my children laugh at her and say oh no not sausage sick again lol . On a serious note Tiggy was sick again in the night still poorly tummy but i think its still clearing out her system as there was more furr in the sick this morning but yes if she still isnt right by monday i will take her to the vet, thanks everyone xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 22:51:38 PM »
If she is still like this by Monday, you need to get her to a vet I think.

Mine get furballs cos they arre long haired and they eat grass and that makes them sick them up.  :sick:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 20:59:00 PM »
I don't think the furball treats have much in them. The paste is much better, Funnily enough I was going to post about another furball "remedy" - I have noticed that if one of mine has a plate of steamed fish - ie coley, and they have a furball. They usually bring the fish up with the furball. Another idea I have heard of is adding some olive oil to their food. There is a chance they won't touch it though.

Grass is the quickest surefire method. Alice is in the garden having some now. The only time she really goes out is for grass, unless it is really warm & sunny.

Kylie is shorthaired and she produced this a couple of years ago. It was so impressive, I thought I would share  :shy:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13214.0.html

Bearing in mind how compacted they can be, you can understand why they can be so uncomfortable and even dangerous I would imagine.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 21:01:51 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline josiek

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 20:36:02 PM »
Hi all turns out it is furballs, she finallybrought one up but started coughing again this month so i went to pets at home and bought some furball treats i was suppose to give 6 a day for 4 days i did and she brought up all fur but now wont stop being sick!!!!and now has diarroa again too im starving her at the moment just giving her water but shes quite poorly this time cant keep her water down im hoping it will pass after 24 hours if not what else can i do for furball problems? xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 15:57:27 PM »
Allergies to food take a long time to clear, in fact they take a long time to discover, the food may not have agreed with her but unlikely to be an allergy, i think.

Offline josiek

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 15:38:47 PM »
 :Crazy:yep she was brilliant after the fod change so allergies i thought were then cleared only to discover her having a cough again :shocked:i find it weird as she has the constipation before it happpens then coughs then has the funny tummy, the vet last time said she had a sensitive throat there was no mention of furballs, they told me if it werto happen again it was more than likely to be an allergy but that they would also have to do x rays, shes otherwise well shes not moping around, thanks jo

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:51:32 AM »
It's surprising how bad furballs can be with a short-haired cat. I brush my Alice several times a day (mainly because she loves it and demands it  :evillaugh: ) but she still hawks up huge furballs at times; even though she eats grass. Might be worth trying some furball paste and making sure she eats some grass every day - at least during moulting season. Furballs definitely cause coughing, as well as stress and loss of appetite.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:53:13 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 21:39:51 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs.

This sounds very strange and underestand where you are coming from but have never heard of this, the vet is the one to ask, I think.

Do I read this right that the last time she didnt have abs but got better after the food change?

Sounds like maybe some proper tests are needed and yes the grass eating is to clear the system, usually of fur. Furballs can be had by short haired cats too cos especially at this time of year they shed their winter coats.

In your place I woiuld have a serios talk with the vets and before you do I would write down every thing that has happened, so you can show him the sequences of events..........does sound like she has a furball but strange for it to happen every month.

Lots of luck and let us know what happens  :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 21:36:32 PM »
Short haired cats can get furballs, and it is moulting season. I think you need to speak to the vet again tomorrow. Cats dont get PMT.
Please spay your cat

Offline josiek

• Kitten
Time of the month??
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 21:03:00 PM »
Hi all my cat Tiggy is 2 in June and until January this year had no health problems she is wormed up to date had all her vaccinations and has been neutred, but in January she started this cough so i took her to the vet for them to tell me it was an infection and that her throat was very inflamed they gave her an antibiotic injection and within a week the cough went and she was back to her normal self, then a month later the same thing happened again, we took her back to the vet and this time they said they would give her more antibiotics but a tablet form this time as sometimes the injection doesn't give its full course, again the cough went and she was fine,another month later the cough starts again, i looked up on the internet about allergies (she is an indoor cat)so decided to change her diet as before she gets the cough she gets constipated then has diarrhoea,we done the food change and she perked up no end in fact it was like she was a different cat however from Friday shes been coughing again her litter tray again has diarrhoea, she does go out in the garden occasionally when we are out there and eats grass but i thought that was to only clear the digestive system?Tiggy is a short-haired tabby so it cannot be furballs, i'm wondering if she may have IBS or maybe a bit of PMT can she still get that after being neutred?Has anyone else experienced these problems in female cats, i had a boy before who was very much a boy always getting into scraps and had no health problems, any advice would be appreciated, thanks x

Link to CatChat