Author Topic: old cat age 20 having operation for sore on its leg  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: old cat age 20 having operation for sore on its leg
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
Glad he got through the dental OK - you might find his kidney values come down now he has had the dental, as they can contribute to high kidney levels, as well as high liver values.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 19:48:44 PM »
That is great Andrea - and I bet he will be a happy, soppy old boy  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 19:46:08 PM »
I am sure he will. He is eating for england now and alot of making up to do for it  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 19:44:01 PM »
Rupert bear  :Luv2: i hope he has a lovely summer getting fat  ;D

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2010, 19:41:11 PM »
His name is Rupert :) A lovely handsome tabby old boy  :Luv2:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 19:39:57 PM »
Poor old chap, whats his name? Its good he came through the dental ok  ;D

Offline RACR

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
    • RACR
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 23:46:21 PM »
We have a oldie rescue. Poor boy has come in extremely thin and ill, very bad mouth and teeth :( The woners are living abroad at the moment and a neighbour was meant to be caring for him. Due to the owners not coming back and the neighbour complaining about feeding him etc.. he came into rescue. Little did the owner the condition of the cat :(

He has kidney failure and serious heart murmer. His mouth so bad and in pain he cant eat :(

The options were to leave him or take risk of GA.. Leaving him was no option, in a few weeks he would have to be pts and in that time he would suffer pain and misery, cruel to leave him. The risk of GA very high due to his age and heart but if he did pull through he can live a peaceful pain free life. I dcided to try and give him a chance. He came round fine and now isnt in pain anymore and eating and ill have tablets for his kidneys.

His teeth were so bad you couldnt see the actuall teeth, just a mass of plaque and rotton infections :( most teeth removed bless him and wolfed his food down.. He is alot better than when he came in and can now live out his twilight years.

Glad to hear Toby has done well also  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 13:06:10 PM »
REally pleased to hear this
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 21:03:29 PM »
That's great news Lizzy  :Luv2: sending hugs to that brave girl  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 21:03:49 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 19:47:50 PM »
So pleased to hear this and hope that Toby recovers quickly  :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 19:02:58 PM »
That's wonderful news:)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 18:56:55 PM »
Thanks for letting us know Lizzy - I'm glad she is OK  :)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 18:37:05 PM »
Hello everyone
                   Great news toby came round ok thankfuly she now as a big bandage and a lamp shade on her head shes obviously a tough cookie i just want to say a big thankyou for all your advice and good wishes i really appreciated it what a great friendly forum im so glad i found out about it. :thanks: :wow:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:13:49 AM »
I'm sure they will take really good care of Toby, I'll be thinking of him Friday and hoping all goes well x :hug:

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:38:51 AM »
Toby is going in first thing,so maybe thats why hopefuly thankyou for the advice and im glad you think im doing the right thing by trying to prapare her for the worst,not that its doing much good as she thinks the vets are miracle workers which i wish they were.
I know losing a pet is awful,i know i had to do it a year ago but he was a good age too and i had to except he was old and he couldn't go on any longer.
I will let you know how it goes keep everything crossed for friday im dreading it.thankyou every one for the advice. :thanks: :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 23:30:22 PM »
My vet said as cats get older, their blood travels around sluggishly along with any drugs. They need to have the fluids to thin the blood out before giving an anaesthetic. It could be that they are admitting him first thing in the morning and will put him on a drip ready for an afternoon op. I would ask the vet if it is possible. This is one of the main things they can do to help older cats cope with anaesthesia.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 22:34:42 PM »
Two things are essentail for cats that age having an op, a drip to try and prevent kidney damage and a safe anesthetic suitable for cats that age.

20yrs is a grand age for a cat but you are doing the right thing in warning your mother, I do hope the op goes OK  :hug: :hug:

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 20:27:28 PM »
Nobodys mentioned about a drip,she loves this cat more than anything in the world,her kids have left home and lives on her own so toby is her life,i have tried saying to her that toby is a very old cat and won't live forever just to prepare her if any thing does happen but she seems to think toby will live forever she wont except theres a risk as up to 6 months ago toby had never been to a vets,she as never lost an animal before and thinks if she takes toby to the vets she will live forever.i really dont think she will cope.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 17:28:22 PM »
Are they going to put your MILs cat on a fluid drip beforehand? - I know my vet always likes to do this with older cats as it is safer.

I'd hope so but i know pdsa often only do the minimum which is why i dont think this op is unneccessary if they are pushing to do it!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »
Are they going to put your MILs cat on a fluid drip beforehand? - I know my vet always likes to do this with older cats as it is safer.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:05:39 AM »
I think Millys Mum is right I don't think the pdsa would do unnecessary treatments - fingers crossed that all goes well for Toby

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:48 AM »
I do hope that all goes well for Friday, operations are always risky and more worrying if the cats are older or have current health issues.  When our Smokey had his amputation he was fine beforehand and that was why we went for it but unfortunately things didn't turn out too well and we lost him shortly after the op but we would have lost him anyway if we hadn't gone ahead.  However, our recent addition Pep who is  17 has lots of health issues, he is hyperthyroid, has high blood pressure and also has treatment for his heart but he had a lot of teeth removed last December because they were so bad and was absolutely fine. 
There can never be a guarantee how things will turn out but hopefully all will go really well, your mum-in-law sounds as if she really loves Toby a lot, do let us know how things go  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:55:47 AM by Janeyk »

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:30:06 AM »
Hello
      Thankyou for the advice,my mother in law as nothing else but this cat its her life and her baby and if any thing happened to toby im scared what the effect will have on her,shes 75 yes im sure your right they wouldn't do it if they thought it wasn't safe.i will let you know how toby gets on the operation is friday. :thanks: ;)

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 20:57:00 PM »
Our cat Smokey had a lump on his leg on the bone and it wouldn't heal, he was 17 but otherwise healthy he ended up having his leg amputated.  Our Byron had all her teeth out (bar 2) in her 20s, she also has a wart on her neck which has got larger and when we took her to the vets the other week the vet said the only thing would be to remove it but we discussed it and decided to leave it.  If unsure have a really good chat with the vet/get a second opinion.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 21:01:33 PM by Janeyk »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 20:53:14 PM »
I think a second vet would be the best person to ask as he/she Has other issues going on, i would have surgery on a 20yr old if my vet were to suggest it to be in his/her best interests, i have a vet i can trust so would suggest you seek a second opinion if you think the pdsa vet has other motives, i cant see what if they are not getting paid for it  :shy:

Offline lizzy stell

• Adult Cat
old cat age 20 having operation for sore on its leg
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 20:41:41 PM »
Hi
   My mother in law as a 20 year old cat it as hyperthyroidism and is on treatment for that,it recently got a sore on its leg took it to pdsa and they have said it needs an operation as it won't heal as its on the bone which i think is stupid i don't think there telling her the truth.
I wouldn't put a cat at this age through an operation would you?they have told her it as swelling round its heart so thats why i think its unnessasary to do this operation.please reply as i need advise wheather to try and talk my mother in law out of doing this.from lizzy :thanks:

Link to CatChat