Author Topic: My Cat Won't Stop Vomiting  (Read 10185 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: My Cat Won't Stop Vomiting
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 07:07:30 AM »
 :) That's good news, how are the limping problems?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
  • Slave to: Phoebe, Boomer, Dillon, Aiden & Billy!
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 22:53:51 PM »
 :hug: aww glad Tommy is better!
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline markh

• Kitten
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 21:03:01 PM »
Hello All

As its six months on and I have been very busy at work, I thought I would take time out to give you an update

Firstly our beloved Tommy is back to his old self - a little chubby and very loving. Since his trip to the vet in March he has had a new lease of life and often bounds round the garden gambolling like a lamb! His brother Teddy and sisters Therese and Trixie are all well and loving life. The late Summer sunshine draws them into the back garden at the weekends and evenings and we let them out before feeding them in the evenings to make sure that they come in later.

I love them all so much!

Offline markh

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »
Update time.

Tommy seems to be much better - last night he was chasing round Trixie - 10 years his junior and they played for at least an hour. He is eating normally again and  begging at the side of the bed at 6.00AM as normal. I have noticed just one thing and that is he seems to stand strangeley. Let me explain - his hind end looks almost like he is going to sit down at times in that his back legs seem a little bent. Not all the time just occasionally but I may go back to the vet with him if no change by next week.

Talking of vet trips, poor Teddy the stray we rescued has developed a limp. I noticed a very slight limp the day before yesterday when he came up the grove to me after a day out. Recently he has been fighting with two new cats in the area, and gained two cut ears. He didnt want to go out yesterday preferring to lie on his bed which is made of four rebound human pillows at the side of the sofa, bewteen the wall, the HiFi cupboard and where I sit. Its elevated so that when I sit down he is at my shoulder height. When I got home he cried to go out and again I noticed the limp. i examined his front right paw and it looked and felt fine, but he growled when I lifted him (which he does sometimes do anyway). He was out for about two hours before coming in and did his usual trick of jumping from the floor to the top of the fridge (about 5 feet). I gave him his favourite - tuna - and he went and lay down.

THis morning he is limping very badly and can't put down his right paw, so I am taking him to the vets next!

I think he may have jumped down the stairs awkwardly as Therese and he do not get on and she growls hisses and chases him. He often goes from the top rail that runs along the upstairs floor to mid way down the stairs and sounds like he lands heavily

That said we have some really nasty people around - one of whom once kicked a cat when I was nearby. Sadly shortly thereafter he developed a black eye - but I wouldnt know anything aboout that!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 00:27:20 AM »
Yep, my next door neighbour told me a tale, her cat kept being sick and she spent 100's of pounds for tests etc trying to find out what was wrong anyway to cut a long story short she bought the cat some coley to see if that would help and the most enormous furball was sicked up  :sick:  She said she couldn't believe the size of it that she took it to the vets to show them.  She was quite annoyed after all the money she'd spent that it was something so simple.

An xray would have shown it............sigh

Franta also had a stuck furball when he would not eat and he sicked it up at the vets who saved it in a jar to show me...................if they thought thqat was big they should see the size of some sicked up here! ROFL

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
  • Slave to: Phoebe, Boomer, Dillon, Aiden & Billy!
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 11:58:18 AM »
Yep, my next door neighbour told me a tale, her cat kept being sick and she spent 100's of pounds for tests etc trying to find out what was wrong anyway to cut a long story short she bought the cat some coley to see if that would help and the most enormous furball was sicked up  :sick:  She said she couldn't believe the size of it that she took it to the vets to show them.  She was quite annoyed after all the money she'd spent that it was something so simple.

OMG! Good tip about white fish (possibly sticking to fur!)  My 3 love Coley, but I hate cooking it as it sticks the house out  :yuk:
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 09:35:27 AM »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 09:24:04 AM »
Glad he's feeling better  :)

Kylie often brings fur up when she has coley - very odd  :shify: - I could understand if it were oily fish but coley isn't  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 09:19:47 AM »
Sounds like a furball came up - fish is very good for that I think it must stick to it.  Glad there's much improvement now and love the photos  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline markh

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
Hi

On sunday I poached some white fish for the cats and at about ten pm we found a HUGE amount of vomit in the hall wal - like one cat had eaten the lot. I think it was our semi-stray cat, Teddy as Tommy didnt seem interested in the fish.

However, I came home from work to find a perky Tommy (along with the other three) all waiting for their dinner. Moments after eating Tommy threw up - three times - first was a lump about 1 1/2 inches long and the thickness of a man's thumb. Next two were little pools of brown liquid.

After that he settled down and touch wood has not vomited again although he has eaten last night and this morning.

He is bright and loving (head butting and coming to sit on me purring) so hope that was just a glitch - after all cats DO vomit - right? :scared:

Below is the family gallery

Tommy (with my wife Michele) (Born 10 March 1998) - white and orange

Therese (Born April 1 1998) - all black including pads of paws

Trixie with me when we found her- (Unknown but about 5 weeks old when we found her on a high wall near the house. She jumped down to me and held on. I asked around but no one owned up to owning her - I was so glad! Found October 11 2008 Shes a semi long hair bi-colour

Teddy - he was a semi stray in that we took him in November 5 2007 - after the local druggie did a bunk locking him in an apartment. His next door neighbour called the RSPCA and when they broke in Teddy ran away. Some weeks later he started sitting outside our huse so we fed him. On bonfire night he was waiting outside and we saw he had a burn on his head - between the ears and now thankfully fully healed - which we think was from a sparkler or other firework. We took him in and bathed him then adopted him. He's about 4 or 5 now.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:57:51 AM by markh »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 01:31:37 AM »
So pleased he is better and eating again  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 22:37:51 PM »
BTW don't run away just coz Tommy is back to normal will you?  We need some male peeps (nearly said members for a sec  :evillaugh:) and you'll be most welcome even though your name's Mark  :naughty:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 22:32:46 PM »
Excellent news Mark.  Hope he's properly turned the corner and will be full steam ahead tomorrow  :wish:

Please don't take this the wrong way as I don't spend much time at all grooming but have you and OH thought about maybe daily grooming Tommy to try and avoid this happening again?  :shy:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 22:19:22 PM »
That's great to hear Markh, sounds like he's much better now  :)

Offline markh

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 18:47:24 PM »
Well, what a difference a day makes. Tommy has been hungry Horace all day - eating at least four times to my knowledge. He's been eating his wet food and a plate of tuna that I put down for him was gobbled very quickly. He looks tubby again and he is perkier. Still drinking a wee bit more than usual but seems on the mend!

Fingers crossed!

Mark

Offline markh

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 07:20:29 AM »
Hi there

No vomiting since Thursday lunchtime. He ate last night - about two or three mouthfuls. This morning at 6 he came for me to feed him and again enjoyed a small amount plus some temptations.

He looks less skinny but is drinking for about 20 seconds a time at the bowl and has been twice this morning once before and once after eating.

He looks and acts much better but I think its going to be a long haul. Will keep you posted

Thank you all for your comments

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 17:43:06 PM »
I would be tempted to get your vet to blood test him if he is that thin. Also I would get a couple of tins of AD diet from your vets cos he needs to eat, regularily in small portions.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 17:20:56 PM »
Hopefully he's starting to pick up now Markh xx

Offline markh

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 14:21:46 PM »
Hi All

I booked a day off yesterday and I was with him all day. Most of that was spent sleeping on the spare bed, although he made odd trips to the water bowl on the landing. He went three times in the afternoon (about 12.30 to 6.00) and spent 10 - 15 seconds each time - so not that excessive but more than usual. He looks desperately thin in his hind quarters. I smeared quite a lot of Katalax on his paws last evening and he took and kept down his anti biotic tablet.

This morning I was awoken at about 5 with him walking over me and laying down on his usual night time sleeping place - my wife's pillow. When I got up at 6.30 he followed me into the bathroom and back bedroom rubbing himself on my legs, then sat on the last but one top stair when I went down to feed the other three cats. I shook the bag of dry food which usually brings him down but has not this week. He scampered down and sat watching the others eating and I squashed up some soft food (about a table spoon size). He didn't want it and sat staring at it but he was sniffing the dry food and had a mouthful and then I crushed up a Temptation and he had the tiny bits. He miaowed for more so I gave him two more again crushed finely. He then jumped up on his high pirch and sat watching me (smiling with his eyes)

I was there another 15 minutes and he was OK and didnt vomit. My wife left 20 minutes later and he still had not.

I am waiting til I get home (About 6.30) to see if he has been sick again. Fingers crossed.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:08:23 AM »
Hope Tommy has eaten now  :hug:

I agree with Katalax, on the paw can be the only way, but never just leave a blob or it will be flicked off and you'll end up wearing it (that was my experiences with Max anway lol)!

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
How is Tommy now?

I do the katalax on the paw thing with Mosi as he won't eat it otherwise.  You have to smear it in quite thorouglhy though otherwise they just shake the paw and throw katalax everywhere  ;D  de-furrum treats are also quite good for furballs, although more for maintenance than for an acute problem.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 07:35:30 AM »
How is Tommy now markh?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 23:30:37 PM »
Has Tommy eaten anything this evening?  The fact that he wants to eat is of course a much better sign.  It is such a worry when they won't eat.

Offline markh

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 16:04:15 PM »
Hello and  :welcome: to Purrs

I think a cat that hasn't eaten for a while can be difficult to kick start back into eating. A bit like us really.  What food are you trying to tempt him with apart from temptations?  To be honest, I think I might steer clear of dry food until he returns to normal.  

I would be tempted to try cooked chicken or white bland cooked fish which is nice and light or perhaps a little pate catfood (hi life and gourmet do some very tasty ones).  They may be pricey but you need to get some food into him.  You can get tins of A/D from vet which is tasty and very nutrious so he wouldn't have to eat much of it to get some benefit.  Any meals I would give would be very small and more frequent than normal.

Smearing the katalx on his front paw sounds a good idea.

Thanks to you all for your replies. I don't mindthe cost we just want Tommy back to health. I will try those suggestions - but at least he now WANTS to eat which he did not yesterday

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 14:55:20 PM »
Hello and  :welcome: to Purrs

I think a cat that hasn't eaten for a while can be difficult to kick start back into eating. A bit like us really.  What food are you trying to tempt him with apart from temptations?  To be honest, I think I might steer clear of dry food until he returns to normal.  

I would be tempted to try cooked chicken or white bland cooked fish which is nice and light or perhaps a little pate catfood (hi life and gourmet do some very tasty ones).  They may be pricey but you need to get some food into him.  You can get tins of A/D from vet which is tasty and very nutrious so he wouldn't have to eat much of it to get some benefit.  Any meals I would give would be very small and more frequent than normal.

Smearing the katalx on his front paw sounds a good idea.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 14:31:39 PM »
I tend to smear katalax on a paw

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 14:30:29 PM »
When my cat had reflux vomiting caused by soreness in his oesophagus (caused by swallowing a 10" bit of straw like grass) the vet besides the Ab and anti-inflammatory jab gave me Antepsin which I had to give him 1/2 hour before food. So might be worth having a word with your vet if there is anything else that your cat can have.

My other cat won't take Katalax so I smear it into her mouth (she has it every 3 days because of bad furballs).

Re Furballs there has been a thread on cat chat where a cat had a blockage caused by a furball (vet thought it was pancreatitis), that was only discovered by xray and an op. Here is the link:
http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/200833.html?1268904995

Hopefully as the furball has come up, that is not the case for yours.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 14:32:42 PM by Edd »

Offline markh

• Kitten
My Cat Won't Stop Vomiting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 14:20:30 PM »
Hi

We have a wonderful, loving cat called Thomas, who was 12 on March 10th 2010. He has had a habit of hair ball vomiting since my wife had him at the tender age of five weeks when she lived in the USA. She and he have lived here in the UK since 2006.

On Saturday (6 days ago) he threw up a huge hairball, and then vomited continuously throughout the day. He threw up all through the weekend and then stopped on Sunday. Throughout he ate nothing. However he was drinking normally and despite the vomiting remained bright eyed. On Tuesday he started vomiting again but this time it was white foam. By Wednesday we got him to the vet (we needed money as you can't pay by cheque) and he was throwing up green liquid. The vet said she could not find any blockages, lumps or foreign bodies. She gave him an anti nausea shot and an anti biotic, and said that hiseyes gums and temperature were all surprisingly good. We brought him home and he was no longer sick but still not eating. the Vet gave us further anti biotic tablets and a tube of Katlax which he wont take. 

I took the day off work at short notice and bought him some whiskers temptations which amazingly he ate - but vomited back minutes later.

Again he is drinking well and the vet said that he had no signs of renal failure. However it costs a lot to go each time and I know she means well and I love the cat dearly but are there any other suggestions before I part with another £100?

Link to CatChat