Author Topic: Kitty's thread  (Read 16155 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: Kitty's thread
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2012, 10:33:23 AM »
Sorry to hear about Tufty's fractured leg and infection  :shocked: I hope he gets better soon and i guess you'll never know what really happened  :shy:

I think its normal to want to see the very best in your cat, especially when you're willing everything to go well and your heart just hopes for the best  :shy: x x

I just hope your wounds heal quickly (inside and out) and it doesnt put you off following your heart in the future  :hug: :hug: 

and the boys are showing how close they really were all along...lets hope it lasts!!   :naughty:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »
Thanks, everyone  :hug:

Tufty does respond well to Metacam (even though I have to scruff him to get him to take it) so he's almost back to normal so long as he's dosed up. He spent last night outside  :shocked: as he refused to come in when we called him at bedtime.
He still hasn't figured out how to use the catflap inwards - only outwards  :doh:
Like I say, not the brightest  :doh: but very snugglewuggly  :Luv:

Still we have the kennel out there and now Sly's little mansion either of which Tufty can use until he works it out, but he prefers to hole up in someone's garage down the road which is where he used to hide out when he was still a stray.

Theo's started coming into the sitting room again. Funny, he's very territorial usually and stops dead at the sitting room door but since Kitty was isolated in here he's got over this psychological barrier and comes in quite frequently for a nose around. He has a quick play with the valerian toys then wanders off to feed (he walks like John Wayne because of his dicky leg but stops my breath he's so handsome).

So I think Kitty has left us a positive legacy. The boys are getting on much better with one another. I wonder how long it will last  :innocent:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2012, 09:54:19 AM »
Hey Tufty lad......... these are for you sweetheart  :care: :care: :care:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2012, 15:19:55 PM »

Sheila, if you did paint a rosier picture, then it was only because you wanted to see the best in a cat who is either essentially traumatised by her life so far, or who has a deeper underlying neurological issue.   I do hope that Kitty can find somewhere she can be happy and at peace with her world.

Meanwhile, am sorry to hear that Tufty's injury is more serious with regard to being a fracture, but also hoping it will heal without further intervention and that his abces will clear up now he's had it identified and treated.  A traumatic few weeks for you all, but with Sly's new house  :wow: there's much to look forward to  :hug: :)

I second that  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »
Sheila, you did your best for Kitty  :hug: :hug: Sending get well vibes to Tufty  :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2012, 07:08:25 AM »

Sheila, if you did paint a rosier picture, then it was only because you wanted to see the best in a cat who is either essentially traumatised by her life so far, or who has a deeper underlying neurological issue.   I do hope that Kitty can find somewhere she can be happy and at peace with her world.

Meanwhile, am sorry to hear that Tufty's injury is more serious with regard to being a fracture, but also hoping it will heal without further intervention and that his abces will clear up now he's had it identified and treated.  A traumatic few weeks for you all, but with Sly's new house  :wow: there's much to look forward to  :hug: :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2012, 00:35:45 AM »
Xrays are so expensive cos about this time last year Ducha broke a bone in his wrist on the side where he has lost his leg,,,,,,,,,,,,,he needed 6 weeks cage rest and had 8 in the end.

He hurt it by landing badly and then couldnt take the weight on that side,,,,,,,,,it was touch and go whether it would heal which was bad for Ducha but he adapted to cage rest well being 17yrs old at the time so very different to Tufty.

He is now hoping around as before and up and down stairs.

I do hope Tufty heals quickly  :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2012, 23:31:25 PM »
Reading back through this thread (and Sly's thread - noo pley mayte) I think I was painting a slightly rosier glow of Kitty's affectionate side all along.

She was more often attacking us than she was loving up, but we simply laughed of these mini attacks because of her diminutive size and consistency (like every single time she got p*ssed off at either of she she gave us a proper wopping) but it was always aimed at clothed feet and legs, so never really had any impact.

Even her affectionate moments were uneasy, as she would last no more than a few moments of strokes before snapping or growling.

I think we're ready to move on now, Tuffs is unhappy about being grounded tonight. Poor baby. Things will be better tomorrow.  :tired:

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2012, 22:18:04 PM »
OMG Sheila just read this what an awful thing to happen.      To be honest Pip sounds like my much missed and loved ragdoll Beau.     He could be the most loving boy one minute and next minute trying to scratch your eyes out.     Being a raggie he was a big boy and god he could be scary in his wildness.     I lost times the number of times he inflicted nasty injuries on myself and OH.      My vet eventually persauded me to put him up for adoption as an only cat.     To be honest I thought no one would want him [he was also a herpes carrier, and would spray around the house, and pee on the bed up to 3 times a night - normally on me!!!] but the progressive ragdoll society bless them found him a home within days.    He was only a young cat and the thought of 10 or more years with him like this was dreadful.      I worried about what he would do to the others all the time.     He is now a much loved only cat and his issues are a thing of the past.     He is now a typical laid back raggie.

Sending lots of  :hug: to you all.     Hoping that handsome Mr Tufty is back to his normal self soon
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 22:29:34 PM by cazzer »
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2012, 21:57:31 PM »
Aaw poor little man  :care: :care: :care:  Metacam is however a fabulous painkiller and so pleased Neil thinks he'll be back to normal in time.  Hope the ABs knock that abscess out quickly too  :(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 21:57:50 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2012, 21:52:40 PM »
Tufty has a fractured bone in his foot.  :(

Neil couldn't find a puncture wound on his foot, so the bone damage is likely to be from a collision, fall or crush rather than a bite. My aunt did a similar thing to her foot at her Zumba class and it's a common footballers injury, but this injury on the foot of a cat is all the more sensitive as they walk on their toes so any pressure on this bone is going to be very painful.
The x-rays showed damage to the bone above the joint which is good news, as any nearer the joint would have worried Neil, whereas he's confident the bone will heal in time.

However, there is a prominent gland showing on the x-ray at the top of his left leg that re-affirms the existence of infection in this area so there is a source of infection hereabouts. But without shaving his fluffy little body it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. So he's had the covenia jab and will be on metacam for the rest of the week, under close observation by us and back to Neil next Tuesday for a check-up.

So, Kitty inflicted or not? We'll never know, I guess.

Meantime he's grounded - he wasn't given the general anaesthetic but a sedative so he's a bit wide eyed, drowsy and spooked tonight and definitely not happy the catflap is locked.  :tired:

The main thing is, he's on the road to recovery. The vet bill without his insurance would have been over £400 so far  :shocked:

Online CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2012, 17:31:43 PM »
Sending big hugs and snoozles for Tufty.  :hug:  Hope its nothing too serious.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
Aaw poor lamb.  Hope Neil is able to find and cure the problem quickly  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope OH's leg starts to heal quickly too.  Sounds very sore  :care:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
I am so sorry that Tuffty is more injured and hope that there is nothing too serious with his leg and paw  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »
Poor Mr Tuffs.   :(  Waiting to hear more later.   :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »
Snoozles and hugs greatly appreciated.  :thanks:

Neil (vet - fab) found a problem with Tufty's foot - there's a scrape on one of his claws and any pressure on the area has Tufty jumping, and although there's no obvious displacement, Neil suspects either a dislocation that has popped back in, or a minor fracture further up the leg.

Tufty also has a temperature, hence why he's been off his food and crying, so he's had an AB shot and admitted for x-rays this PM. Difficult to say if there's any puncture would cos he's just so hairy. Neil will have a good look when Tufty's knocked out this afternoon.

Thank goodness for insurance - and he's had the good grace to wait until payday. Loves ya Tuffs  :(

Back with more news after 3pm...

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2012, 08:31:04 AM »
Sheila, I'm sending a snoozle for Tufty too  :hug: :hug: And get well vibes for OH's leg.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2012, 08:24:31 AM »

Well in that case, am sending a very gentle snoozle for Tufty, and hoping that all goes well at the vet.   Mac sends a little "squeeewhee!" for Tufty too.   :hug: :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2012, 08:21:24 AM »
Tufty's still lame - he can't put any weight on his back left leg again this morning so I'm waiting for 9am when the vet opens and see if Neil's available.  :(

No breakfast for Tufty.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2012, 07:05:57 AM »
Sending some more  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you both and also for Tufty, and Sly who must be missing his little friend

Adding my thoughts to Gill's too.   :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2012, 23:50:55 PM »
Sending some more  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you both and also for Tufty, and Sly who must be missing his little friend

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2012, 21:07:08 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Your kind words are really helping me get my head straight.

Me and OH are still in a sort of whirl - it feels so strange here without Kitty, and although the shock has now passed, the sadness is taking a little longer.

We talk and talk and can no more find an answer now than we could yesterday when it happened.

One of OHs wounds was still very sore tonight so I had a look, there's a slice of skin sitting over a deep puncture but its right on his calf muscle. Cleaned it out again and dabbed a bit more antibiotic ointment, it looks better. All the other wounds are starting to heal.

Not seen Tuffs walk tonight as he's been asleep since I came in from work, but he looks comfy so I'll leave him to tell me in his own time if he's still suffering.

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2012, 20:10:16 PM »
oh sheila, i'm so sorry thats things have turned out like they have and for it to have been such a shocking and unprovoked attack - no wonder the whole experience has left you so shaken  :'(  :'(

It certainly wasnt what i was expecting to see when i opened the thread, especially after how well everything was going and hitting some great milestones  :'(
I can only echo what everyone else has said and say that you did the very best for her and it has been far from a failure and hope the assessment will get her the home and care she needs x  :hug:
I too wonder, Like Sue P, whether there are unknown neurological problems?? For such a vicious unprovoked attack out of no where, in a loving home where she was settled. Either it is or something terrible must of happened to her in the past that has deeply effected her beyond getting the love and attention she needs  :(
I hope that she is able to be given an only cat home or something that suits her x

I hope Tufty's leg is getting better and it does seem possible he has been on the receiving end, bless him x
I also hope that you and your OH wounds are healing too and that you do not beat yourself up over how things turn out - i know thats easy to say and that you are and will for a while to come - i'm just so sorry how things have turned out  :hug:  :hug:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
Just saw this Shiela :hug:

what a shock! I think it may be possible Pip has some underlying problem such as a brain trauma or something as it does sound like she truly lost the plot. you did the best you could hun so dont beat yourself up over this, I think no one is going to be able to help pip stop doing this but hopefully celia may find a way to help understand what exactly is going on  :hug: :hug:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
What a shock when things were going pretty well  :(

It will take time, but hope everyone is ok  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2012, 08:41:14 AM »
Sheila, I'm absolutely devastated for you, OH and Pip.  :( :( :( Sending lots of hugs  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »

How is Tufty doing ?

Better thanks Gill. The metacam worked a treat - knocked him out for a whole night. Although he's favouring his back leg little, he can put his weight on it now and he seems bright and happy again this morning.

Thanks everyone. I was in shock yesterday, but feel much more positive now.

OH has now put his foot down about any more cats. No more fosters either. For, now I absolutely agree.  :doh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 21:19:01 PM »
Very sorry to hear this Sheila, things seemed to be going so well  :( Big hugs  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline mad_lilli

• Hero Cat
  • Lady Marmalade of the fluffy trousers
    • Cruelty Free, Vegan Skincare Freshly Made in the UK
  • Slave to: Marmalade, Teddy, Crystal, Marco (Thug 1) and Polo (Thug 2)
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 20:35:33 PM »
Good grief - what a horrible experience for all of you. You did everything right by Kitty/Pip and should try to focus on that rather than the horrible finale. I hope something can be done for her, and obviously hope you, your OH and Tufts recover quickly and thoroughly.  :hug:   :hug:
RIP beautiful Lilli 01.08.1999 - 02.01.2016 
My shadow since February 2002
I'll love you forever

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2012, 17:06:47 PM »
Sheila, am so sorry, treasure.  can imagine how much of a shock this has been for you and your OH.  Am hoping Tufty's leg isn't too bad, and that your own and OH's wounds are clean. 

Poor Pip.  Lord alone knows what's gone in her life to damage her so.  Am also quietly speculating whether she may have a tumour or brain disorder.

I think you've done what you had to do, and no-one can say you didn't try.   :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 16:54:47 PM »
This is a loss and you will feel the same as for any other loss and it will take time to come to terms with, take your time  :hug: :hug:

How is Tufty doing ?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2012, 16:40:39 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  :hug:

I'm still in shock and prone to outbursts of tears.

OH is holding up well but I can't stop crying. My rudimentary medical training tells me I'm in shock, and he's trying (so nicely) to snap me out of it, but I need to go walk it off, I think.

Off to make an authentic paella, should occupy me for a while.  :-:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2012, 16:13:53 PM »
Oh Sheila such a shock when it seemed things were going so well  :hug: :hug:

Poor Kitty, something is definately going on with her and do hope that Celia can find a suitable home for her, maybe she has something going on in her head and if not she has been seriously traumatised at some point in her little life.

Please watch out for infections of humans or Tufty, I am just so sad for all of you and Kitty  :(

Online CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2012, 15:54:34 PM »
Oh Sheila how awful.  :hug:  :hug:    I can well understand how shocked you must be after such a sudden and violent attack.  I'm feeling a bit shocked myself and I'm only reading about it.  You have done the right thing, the only thing you could possibly do, in taking her back to CH and by the sounds of things you handled the situation extremely well.   :hug:

Of course your heart is in pieces.  :hug:  You wanted to help, you saw her blossoming under your care, your OH was smitten, and you quite reasonably thought  her future was secure.  But something is clearly going on in her brain, either as a result of past trauma or maybe physical illness that causes her to have these outbursts.  The fact that she can be docile and loving for weeks or months on end and then turn so dramatically in a split second without any provacation makes her all the more dangerous I'm afraid, and heartbreaking though it is, I think the conclusion that both you and Celia came to this morning may well be unavoidable.   If she did attack Tufty, and it seems probable that she did, then as Liz says she needs a home as an only cat with an owner who will give her a wide berth.  I hope with all my heart that she finds that person but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2012, 15:49:18 PM »
I am so, so sorry Sheila :hug:

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2012, 15:45:30 PM »
No, no- you're beating yourself up.

You did all you could and no one could have predicted that she would flip like that. You made the right decision when you took her on and again when you handed her back. She may find the perfect home yet, even if she is clearly damaged in some way.

None of this is your fault  :Luv2:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2012, 15:28:30 PM »
Thanks, Liz. I know Celia thinks like you do and will move Heavan and Earth to keep her alive. She's a sweetie with a horrendous twist, and not a cat you would ever trust to, say, a much loved and appreciated cat-sitter. So yes, she's not for us.

You'll be relieved to know that she has not been PTS to my knowledge - Celia will, I know, try every avenue before this happens, but at least CH now has her psych assessment (Crikey, that all seems so long ago) so she can decide if poor Kitty (yes, Pip was only her name here) has a future, somewhere.

My heart is in pieces, but mostly for OH and Tuffs, neither of whom deserved this. Is this just my vanity/ego causing such trauma? You cry, I cry  :'(

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2012, 14:57:27 PM »
Pip sounds so like our Gigi Skye from Sunny Harbour our forever foster she is a shredder and means it she hates my OH with a passion and he won't approach her or deal with her which is very strange considering some of the nastier ferals we have here

She does however adore me with a zelous passion and gets upset when the others come to close so she now has a resident spot on the couch behind my head and the others avoid her and give her a wide berth she is apart from her unpredicatbility a happy soul but not for the feint hearted

I think Pip needs a home with no other cats and one owner who will give her a wide berth

You tried but when others are being hurt and shredded it does put a different perspective on things and she is now back in the best place for her until a home can be found

You have't failed she just isn't for you :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2012, 14:39:56 PM »
Don't know what to say Shiela.  Just so very sorry for all concerned.  Cannot imagine what on earth is wrong with Pip.  So very sad  :hug: :hug: :hug:

It's a good job you and OH are as brave as you are as she needed to be caught to avoid causing further serious injury to either of you or the other cats.  Very much hope the two of you and poor Tufty heal quickly with no infections. 

As for poor Pip....  :( :( :(

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2012, 13:41:16 PM »
Thanks, Dawn - OH has had at least two tetanus jabs previously (he was literally re-built after a car crash in his 20s) so hopefully this won't be a problem.

I'm watching one of the cuts which went across the back of his knee, very close to the artery, and a "flap" she opened on his calf which is showing sub-dural bruising, but I'm happy the blood loss has stopped and there's limited immediate swelling.  :Luv2:

Bless, he looks like he's done a couple of rounds with Zorro.

Link to CatChat