Author Topic: Dave, Brian and their little ones (picture overload!)  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
Re: Dave, Brian and their little ones (picture overload!)
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 17:08:53 PM »
Suzie - Dave was very lucky. She's now got a plate in her hip and getting stronger every day.

RE toilet behaviour - Hal usually doesn't wee, it's usually number 2 (feel like a school child writing that.  :shy: ). He will use a litter tray. When he does it, I can usually catch him out because he starts yowling at the top of his voice. Neither newspaper in a tray nor an empty tray work for me.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 18:28:45 PM »
If you have a spare loo the litter kwitter is viable. I gave up with ours because although there was some interest from a couple of the boys, the others just took advantage of the opportunity to wee all over the rest of the bathroom. As we also had to use the same loo, there was a conflict of crossed legs/paws/cleaning etc.

It's in the cupboard waiting for the lottery win when we can afford a place with a second loo  :tired:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 18:06:45 PM »

Using the bath, shower and sinks as a toilet is the worst of it, trying everything but still struggling with it.

Sorry for going  off topic but if you find a solution for this,please shout up! Neko does  this at every available opportunity (trying to  keep the bath full of water and a bowl of pot purri in the bathroom sink when not in use :tired:)

Is it no.1s and no.2s? If it's just no.1s try a newspaper in the litter tray instead of litter. Not ripped up or anything, just placed in the tray as if you left it there by mistake. It worked for us.

no such luck with Neko,its both (he always goes for both at the same time) hes litter tray perfect the rest of the time, age of the litter in the tray makes no difference and hes no interest in an empty tray :tired: he does it when im there and when im not but if im there he always acts really pleased with himself,like he think hes done the right thing? i keep thinking of maybe trying him on litter-quitter as he likes the bathroom porcelain so much?

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 16:36:18 PM »

Using the bath, shower and sinks as a toilet is the worst of it, trying everything but still struggling with it.

Sorry for going  off topic but if you find a solution for this,please shout up! Neko does  this at every available opportunity (trying to  keep the bath full of water and a bowl of pot purri in the bathroom sink when not in use :tired:)

Is it no.1s and no.2s? If it's just no.1s try a newspaper in the litter tray instead of litter. Not ripped up or anything, just placed in the tray as if you left it there by mistake. It worked for us.

Offline SuzieMac7

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Susie, Megan and Roger (RIP Smudge and Daphne :( )
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 14:41:39 PM »
Easy enough to get confused. Dave was run over Christmas Eve and has been in and out of vets offices, I've had to explain that she's a she way too many times. Far too many odd looks.  ;D

That's dreadful!  :( Hope she makes a good recovery.  I see far too many close shaves with cars when I'm out and about and of course my poor Sparkey was hit last month and didn't make it  :'(  So I hope Dave is more fortunate!

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 21:42:01 PM »
No resolution as of yet. I've heard to try an empty litter tray, but this didn't work. I try to either keep the door closed (but I'm too forgetful), or like you, keep them both wet.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 21:40:18 PM »

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 21:31:58 PM »
Easy enough to get confused. Dave was run over Christmas Eve and has been in and out of vets offices, I've had to explain that she's a she way too many times. Far too many odd looks.  ;D

Offline SuzieMac7

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 21:15:32 PM »
Brian's male, we only did that with Dave. :)

I love human names for animals, I've always done it. I have two gerbils named Derek & Dermot, too. At one point I had a Colin...

It particularly amuses me to give animals names which should belong to middle aged men.  :shy: I know that makes me daft!

Poor Margaret, no one deserves to be compared to her!!  :rofl:

Oh right, I got a bit confused! haha, a female Dave, I could see that catching on!   ;)  There are endless possibilities when you think about it... but I better not mention any more in case I offend anyone!  :innocent:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 21:09:18 PM »
Brian's male, we only did that with Dave. :)

I love human names for animals, I've always done it. I have two gerbils named Derek & Dermot, too. At one point I had a Colin...

It particularly amuses me to give animals names which should belong to middle aged men.  :shy: I know that makes me daft!

Poor Margaret, no one deserves to be compared to her!!  :rofl:

Offline SuzieMac7

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 21:00:43 PM »
Brian looks like my Great Uncle Brian and again it just seemed like a silly name to give a cat...

That is hilarious! I thought we were the only ones who called our cats ridiculous names!  I had a cat called Brian once, he was a tabby too, although he was male! But hey, it's the fashion to call your children opposite sex names so why not apply it to cats?  ;D  I also had a cat called Margaret who was rather nuts and had a piercing meow - she was named after a lady with similar attributes!  :evillaugh:  I suppose we have broken the rules with Smudge - he is more like a Thomas, as in Tom and Jerry!! 

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 14:16:42 PM »
Boy cats!!!!!!!!!!

Meeping and whining for attention..........well the birmans anyway

My girl cats do that too, well, the tabby does - maybe it's a tabby thing?  :evillaugh:
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 09:00:28 AM »
That one is actually Hal. My tabbies are hard to keep up with!  ;D

Hal is always a good boy. He does have some horrible habits, but we're working on them. Using the bath, shower and sinks as a toilet is the worst of it, trying everything but still struggling with it. Usually, he's lovely. When he was very little, he used to attach himself with his claws to everything, it hurt - a lot. He's the best one to sleep with, so I didn't move him last night. The only thing he wants halfway through the night is to get under the covers. He must have eaten something he wasn't supposed to yesterday, because he had some pretty awful wind.  :sick:

I actually have a nicer throw for my bed, but I daren't have it on at the moment. I'm using this because it was getting cold at night. It's a Primark special, so I'm not too worried about it.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 02:59:34 AM »
haha :rofl: i have a black runner like that on the bed, a;; my cats like to practise sharpening their claws on it :innocent:, then tunnel under it, leap out onto my head then start eating /chewing my hair :Crazy:
i think brian is well behaved actually just sleeping :wow:
i love his stripes :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:54 AM »
Boy cats!!!!!!!!!!

Meeping and whining for attention..........well the birmans anyway

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 23:38:55 PM »
A typical man, indeed! He spends quite a lot of time walking around the house and whining if he thinks he's no getting attention and the only way to shut him up for a bit is to let him into your bed.  :evillaugh:

Hal's pretty typical, too. Just got upstairs to find he'd taken almost a whole double bed up. Which is not easy when you're only little. I'm a pushover, I don't have the heart to move him.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
what a lovely feline family :Luv2:
Brian sounds like a typical man- my moms cat bear is very similar in his choice of piddling on moms new stuff...he drives her too tears :evillaugh:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »
I call him funny looking all the time, but he's my cat and I'm allowed. She was just spoiling for a fight during the summer. Left her front door open 24/7 and is then surprised to find Brian kipping behind the sofa. She doesn't work (that special kind of lazy unemployment), so she had nothing better to do than pick fights with me. If it wasn't Brian, it would have been one of the other 10-ish cats that live on this road. Anyway, she closed her door after I shouted at her and moved out a couple of weeks ago. Life is good.

I'll call him what I like after I just caught him peeing all over my best cushions. There's nothing up with him, he's not spraying, he's just too bloody lazy to go downstairs and use the litter trays or ask to go outside.  :censored:

I was looking for better pictures of his teeth, but that's the best so far. They are hilarious. When you stroke his muzzle, you knock your hand on them. I'll try and get some later. He knows I'm cross, so he's avoiding me right now. 

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
A difficult neighbour called him ugly

There's no such thing as an ugly animal.

I think we should see more pictures of Brian and those amazing teeth!

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 23:20:08 PM »
Seriously, Brian is hilarious looking. I won't have a word said against him, though. A difficult neighbour called him ugly the other week and I nearly punched her. I'm not a violent woman.

I'm terrible with all animals. If I didn't have morals and at least some common sense, I'd be a serious animal hoarder. 5 cats and 4 gerbils really is my limit at the moment. I just hit an old-age period with my rodents (many were a similar age), so I've dropped from 9 to 4 in the last year, but even so. All of the cats have different personalities, so it's easy enough to manage at the moment. Brian is probably the worst, he's a terrible attention seeker and can get quite jealous; Hal is my lap cat, he's very dependent; Belle likes the best of both worlds, she's very much 50/50 and Malcolm and Dave might as well be the same cat. Aloof, but affectionate on their terms. The good news is that Malcolm (unlike the other kittens) isn't a big fan of going outside, so is unlikely to get knocked down like Dave. Touch wood and all that...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 22:17:20 PM »
I'm not surprised you found it difficult to part with them  :Luv2: I would last ten seconds as a fosterer  :shy:

I'm trying to picture what your poor uncle brian must look like tho  :rofl:

Big teeth.  ;) :)

:evillaugh:  :rofl:

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 14:55:46 PM »
I'm trying to picture what your poor uncle brian must look like tho  :rofl:

Big teeth.  ;) :)

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 14:42:50 PM »
Dont you just love a cat with its tongue sticking out?! They are all gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
We have a female denzel in our house - its only a name! I'm trying to picture what your poor uncle brian must look like tho  :rofl:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 12:43:38 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Slightly complicated story, but we always joked that Dave was a good name for a cat. We were feeding them every day, but didn't want to get attached to them so we gave them daft names. My 5 year old sister insisted on calling her Dave since she has a book about a cat called Dave and she picked up on our jokes. My family have an odd-eyed cat who they got from some friends who emigrated. His name is Henry, but my Mum really wanted it to be Dave (for obvious Bowie reasons) and I suppose the name needed somewhere to go. We also didn't get very close to her originally, so didn't have much of a chance to check out her sex.

Brian looks like my Great Uncle Brian and again it just seemed like a silly name to give a cat. I turned up at my parents' house one day and my Mum was talking to me about Brian. It took me a while to realise that she'd named him that. There's also a complicated Brian Cox reference I won't bore you with.

I didn't want to get attached to the kittens either, so they all got slightly silly names. My sister, Alice, named Belle and I love Beauty and the Beast despite being in my mid-20s and it being slightly embarrassing. Malcolm got his name first, we're Malcolm in the Middle fans and he just seemed to suit it from the start. Hal got stuck with his name in a continuation of the reference and Thora is such an old lady cat that she needed an old lady name.

I'm a soft touch, though and got attached to them all. I couldn't not help Dave out when I found out she was pregnant and it was too late to change her name. I also never meant to keep any of the kittens, but that kind of went wrong for me.  :shy: :Luv2: I have three of them at the moment. Malcolm had a home set up for him, but that fell through recently and I don't really know what to do at this point. Belle was always going to stay with me and Hal was so poorly from 2-3 months (severe tummy problems frequently) that I couldn't rehome him at the time and now we're very bonded. Probably more so with Hal than the rest of them.

I moved out of the flat I had to a house a little bit further out of town so that I could take them on and they've taken over my life so completely in the last 8 months that there isn't really any looking back.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:39:09 PM »
What an absolutely stunning family!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: How could their previous owners be so callous to abandon them  :(

Did you keep any of the babies? I love their names too  :naughty:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »
All wonderful and I am sure you have told us but why is Dave callled Dave  ;D ;D

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »
Ooh, what a lot of gorgeous little stripey things!  :Luv:
Love their names too.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
Dave, Brian and their little ones (picture overload!)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
I've been posting lots about Dave in particular and thought it was incredibly rude of me not to introduce her properly!  ;D

Dave is a little over a year old. She and Brian were left behind when their original owner (a neighbour of my parents) moved out. Brian is a little older. Neither cats were neutered and the inevitable happened. We had been feeding them for some time and I took them in when it became clear that Dave was pregnant. Brian was behaving like a feral cat and desperately in need of being neutered. I had him done that week and he now refuses to go further than the back garden.

Dave gave birth on 1st June to 4 healthy babies. I had to help her with the first because she was breech, but otherwise an easy birth and a great mother all things considered. Here they all are:

Dave

Dave

Dave

Brian. He has the biggest teeth of any cat I've ever known!

All kittens at 7 days

Malcolm at 2 days

Malcolm at 7 days

Malcolm's first meal (with Dave & Brian)

Malcolm just under 6 weeks

Malcolm at 6 months, he purrs with his tongue out

Belle at 2 days

Belle at 16 days

Belle & Hal at 20 days

Belle just after her neutering (a slightly complicated recovery) at 4 months

All 4 on Day 4. Hal on bottom

A blurry Thora in front and Hal in the back at 21 days

Hal at 7 weeks

Hal at 11 weeks

Thora 3 months

Thora 4 months, shortly before she went to her new home