Author Topic: Home to Be  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Re: Home to Be
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 10:19:57 AM »
I agree, another boy would be much easier to introduce as girlies can be (not always!) rather off with males where as neutered boys of a similar age tend to get straight in there and enjoy LOTS of rough and tumbles!

As someone who does home visits, I would definately consider an indoor only home if it was the right setup and person. We do personally prefer for cats to go to outdoor homes in safe areas but as you will have a cat run with access to the outside world I really can't see a problem and think it sounds like you'd provide a lovely home! Good luck with your hunt!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 22:04:45 PM »
A lot of rescues still don't like homing to indoor homes but on the other hand there are many that will, especially if the cat been an indoor cat in it's previous life. You could ring or email all the nearby rescues asking what their policy is so you know who to approach when you're ready to adopt.  Roughly wherabouts are you in the UK?

I think Indy would get on best with another cat his own age rather than a little kitten, Milly's Mum said in another thread about getting a second boy when they're youngsters as boys like to rough and tumble.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 21:22:07 PM »
Highly unlikely you'll get rejected due to the indoor only thing. If you look on catchat they have a list of rescues in all the areas in the UK. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
Home to Be
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 20:03:30 PM »
Hi

I have Indy, my gorgeous 6 month old rescue boy, he was born feral and CP had no space, RSPCA said they would put him and his mother to sleep! just cos she was skinny and he was on the young side of weaning.

Anyway, Indy is now a happy, healthy and energetic house cat, I don't let him out as we are across the road from a train track, have a very dangerous and busy 'A' road just round the corner and a motorway about 1/2 mile away. To say nothing of twisted teenagers who like shooting, burning and kicking cats. (I live in a lovely place, don't I?... tis only 3 teens but there isn't enough 'proof' it is them)

So in 2-3 months I will be looking for a playmate for Indy, we are waiting until after my poorly labrador passes on, she isn't suffering at all but we don't have many weeks left. And also waiting until we get our 12ft x 15ft enclosed space built in the garden, basically we are catproofing the Patio and I am having a raised garden to plant catmint and tall grasses and putting a climbing tree.

Long story short... how would I generally go about adopting another kitten/young cat?
I know their are house checks etc but what criteria needs to be met? Will a small enclosed garden do? as I have been told rescues are often not fond of homing a kitten to an indoor home, and I don't really want a blind/deaf/disabled cat as the point is getting an active playmate for Indy.

Also Indy is smart, very smart (can sit, roll over, lay down, speak and give paw on command) and very active... what personality would match him best? Active and bright/quiet and sensible (for a cat) or even which gender... male/female?

Another problem I have is my other dog, he loves animals, adores Indy... but hates people/strangers... so a house visit could be tricky, he would have to be non-present. We had a complete stranger attack him in our garden once (they were attempting to break in) and he hasn't trusted strangers since.

My main goal is I want to adopt, but if I get refused adoption because of the indoor cat thing then I would have to consider buying.

Link to CatChat