Author Topic: I AM NOT HAPPY. WHATS NEW?  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: I AM NOT HAPPY. WHATS NEW?
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 09:41:36 AM »
Fingers crossed Angie. I am off to pick up my second blind and deaf cat soon.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 16:29:53 PM »
It is just getting worse and worse, I am looking after 4 cats for Social services as they could not find a cattery when their owner needed to go into hospital, initially it was for the weekend (last weekend ;D) they are still here and look like staying at least another week . Also Social services think it may be in their owners interest if they don't go back. I have had more calls than I can remember today for cats to come in and now another social worker has just rung me about 2 cats who have been left in a house for a week, although I have advised her she does need to speak to the RSPCA inspector about that one.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 16:03:39 PM »
Well there was me , down to 2 foster cats and trying to have a bit of a rest. A call came in this moring for 6 3month old kittens. I did say, they would have to be 3months as I would only have room for 6 small ones but of course they are about 5 months old, will need neutering soon. But once you are there with the carriers you are more or less committed and it was a desperate case involving social services.

They are riddled with fleas so i have front lined them and put them all in the dog cage even though they are too big for it. Will let them out a bit later when the frontline has had time to take effect.

one of our new fosterers has also decided to stop fostering and we are having to squeeze the two youngsters she's got at the moment.

I think the word help spring to mind - luckily I've been on prozac for the past 3 weeks and I think it may just be beginning to kick in.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 13:48:20 PM »
A neighbour rang me today about the situation, there aren't 2 cats there are up to 10. All unneutered unspayed of course. Since first thing this morning myself and Donna have been on the case. A cattery is going to help us and we are going to pay the fees until we can home them. I think even the dog wardens are going to help with transport. I need to speak to the owners  (when I get their number) first and then we can get the ball rolling. I would like to thank one of Purrs members for offering to help in this emergency.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 10:35:39 AM »
I think some people just bury their heads in the sand and don't think it will come to eviction and others just don't care
which I think would be the case here. There was even the body of an emaciated cat laying dead in the garden.

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »
In this case the people in question would know they were being evicted and would have been given a date for it.    Leaving time to try and sort out the welfare of their animals.  I know times are hard but I was in the same position a year ago (my home was repossed)and I had 14 p to my name but even with every thing against you I provided for my animals first, me second.  We are now all together.  I feel even with eeverthing against you just to leave your animals is disgusting

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:28:09 AM »
We have had a really bad couple of weeks too, the amount of animals being dumped is awful, two of the recent ones have been old, blind and deaf as well. We also took in mum and 6 4wo's this week, dont know their background though. Think we rehomed a couple over the weekend, and two reserved for this weekend with another viewing tonight, but the bulk of calls are 'can you take' and i dread to think of how many we have had to say no to. I can't see it getting much better either, especially not with redundancies going up
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 23:22:32 PM »
They will normally put you in B&B but these can be really grotty and won't accept pets anyway. We've had to deal with several cases like this and infact one puss was just adandoned at the vets after the owner told the vet we were taking it on. The vet called us and was most surprised to find we had made no such promise.  :tired: I know for a fact the cat was still there 2 weeks later and there wasn't a hope in  :censored: that we could take it. I think it ended up going to another rescue.

Homelessness has got to be a top reason for animal abandonment and I'm surprised no specific charities have sprung up to deal with this problem.  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 20:54:20 PM »
it is all so depressing isn't it - you would have thought that if the council is evicting someone they would have to make provision, surely they haven't left the people out on the street?

When I lived in Hackney, they had posters up all over with a picture of a family on a park bench with their suitcases. It said don't think It couldn't happen to you, pay your rent on time!
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 19:06:20 PM »
it is all so depressing isn't it - you would have thought that if the council is evicting someone they would have to make provision, surely they haven't left the people out on the street?

I am afraid they can do, provided that there is no prioirty residents such as disabled, service or care leavers or children then the tenants are left to find their own alternative accomodation and if it is private landlord of hostel then there is nowhere for these cats to go.  >:(
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 17:06:04 PM »

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 16:55:32 PM »
In Coventry things are going from bad to worse. Judith took in a mum and 6 4-week old kittens this morning and I have had to put off several others today. Homing has been really slow the last 6 weeks. Last year we had a little rush from half term to xmas and it was brilliant.
We have had no interest in any of the kittens we have in.

What are we all going to do?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I AM NOT HAPPY. WHATS NEW?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 16:50:44 PM »
The local dog warden has just rang me to say to cats are distressed at being put outside after the council has evicted them and she offered to give me the owners numbers so I could sort it. Now what I want to know is why should I sort it when the council have evicted someone surely they should accept the responsibility and find somewhere for the little ones. As it happens we have nowhere for them to go and I am also looking after an extra 4 cats for social services when they could find no cattery to take them in while there owner is in hospital. I am so worried about the two cats but just now I can do nothing but I am tying to sort something ASAP. The problem is we have a number of cats that need to come in urgently,
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 17:57:21 PM by Ela »

Link to CatChat