Author Topic: What do experienced feral catchers think of drop traps?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: What do experienced feral catchers think of drop traps?
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 01:53:29 AM »
The Metacote trap is lovely and light.

The ferals are trapped and in my rescue room. Unfortunately, they have flu.

I've started an updated thread about them.

:thanks:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 16:34:33 PM »
Yep that's them the big heavy things  ;D
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 16:24:04 PM »
I've used that sort. They're so heavy too.

Glad you've managed to catch the little monkeys....I mean cats!  :rofl:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 15:47:17 PM »
The ones which I have been given to use are all metal and they bang loudly too but thankfully I've managed to trap all those I've set out to although a couple have taken a few goes :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 15:47:49 PM by janeyk »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 15:32:36 PM »
The Metalcote trap is now on order.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 17:28:08 PM »
That sounds like the one I borrowed from WellCat last year. It was like solid iron, and the bang could be heard for miles  :rofl: No wonder the cats quickly became trapwise.

One of the members of Purrs (I won't say who) has PM'd me offering a donation towards the trap. So the Metalcote one is looking like it might be on it's way to help some Birmingham ferals.  :clap:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 16:55:14 PM »
The wire traps from Metalcote aren't heavy at all. Maybe slightly heavier than a cat basket.  :shy:

I have also got some monster solid metal ones, which sound similar to the ones Liz is talking about. There's a clear perspex door at one end. They go off with a hell of a bang but are useful if you have a particularly large tom to nab as nothing can bust it's way out. But you only get one go and all the other cats around head for the hills when it springs.  :rofl:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 16:21:23 PM »
We have 2 of these type and rate them highly we caught most of the Clan Cats in these after the mass breakout the day after we moved we also had various others loaned from our old CP.

These are great cause you can label them on the steel plate bit and also the clear end is useful to

If you had lived closer you could have borrowed ours as Red is sitting on them both and swishing his nice fluffy tail at our attempts to catch him to remove his bits!!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 16:16:41 PM »
Thank you Pinkbear. I did wonder why there was such a difference in price. Now I know why. I can see what you mean about the door; it would come down in a fast concertina-like fashion. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'll persuade myself to splash out on the Metalcote one. Are they very heavy?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 15:05:02 PM »
No!! No!!  :Nooooo: Don't buy that one! That's a rabbit trap!  :oh noo:

Do you see in the foreground of the picture at the open end? The spring mechanism, which is set in the picture, has three sections they go off with a powerful bang like a guillotine.  :scared: Our coordinator bought some like that and we condemned them and they're rusting away in her shed now.

This one is much, much better. You see raised door at the open end - set to spring - is made of one single piece so no chance of tiny tales getting caught in the sections. This one is from Metalcote and exactly like the ones I use. The action is really gentle and believe it or not, half the time puss is still merrily munching sardines and doesn't even realise it's been trapped until I walk up the to collect him.

http://catbaskets.co.uk/images/rescuetrap_large.jpg

Not sure if you live anywhere near a place that might sell rabbit traps over the counter, but if you do go and ask to inspect one and you'll see how dangerous they are. As I said previously, some companies do market rabbit traps as being suitable for cats and they aren't.  :scared:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 14:37:47 PM »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 13:45:36 PM »
Thanks Pinkbear, you've put my mind at rest. I'll let you know which trap I'm thinking of buying when I can find the link. Thanks for the help.  :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 13:41:51 PM »
HK, I've never had a case of a kitten being struck by the door slamming. If you use the correct trap there's a milli second between the treadle going down and the spring releasing and door shutting and believe me, they know to get out the way! They can move like a furry little rocket!  :rofl: Sometimes they run into the trap and sometimes out. It's pot luck really. What would be pointless is holding a trap open in the off chance a second or third kitten will go in whilst a greedy guts polishes off the bait and then darts out again before you can spring it. A bird in the hand and all that...  :tired: You'll find your own way anyway.  ;) :hug:

Do beware cheap traps that are advertised as cat traps but are really rabbit traps. They are ruddy lethel!  :scared: :Crazy:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 13:25:39 PM »
Thanks. I'm thinking about buying a trap and have seen quiet ones advertised. The remote control ones are very expensive, but I've read about using a mineral water bottle with a string tied to it and hiding. This would maybe prevent the horrid possibility of one of the kittens following his littermate who stands on the treddle when the other kitten is within the swing of the trap door....

I've spoken to a male friend about constructing a drop trap. He came up with excuses like: "haven't got the right tools....." but I do know a decorator/ odd job man who would do anything for me... :Luv2: :evillaugh:

I'm thinking of dulling the bang by taping cotton wool to the trap door.  At the moment, I'm having trouble chasing up a trap!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:53:46 AM »
If you have someone handy with a hammer and nails, it should be fairly easy to construct a drop trap with a slide out section for transfer. I think the real problem with drop traps is finding a place to conceal yourself while you're waiting for that perfect moment. It could end up like a carry on film.  :rofl:

Not sure what traps or bait you're using but in the end, it really does depend on the cat. I've trapped the same cat 6 times now and I swear the little  :censored: knows I'm going to let him straight out - but I never get to the trap before he's polished off all the sardines.  :evillaugh: Go for one of the gentler action all wire traps from Metalcote. They are so quiet you can hardly hear them and it's the sound that puts them off most.  ;)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:04:45 AM »
I've never used one, not sure if our CP use them.  I've used 2 types, the automatic step one and one they adapted very similar but you pull string when they go far enough in which I love and waiting for at the minute.  They also have remote control one but not used that

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 19:36:12 PM »
The ones iv seen (homemade) would be impossible to safely get the cats out!  :scared:
You can adjust some automatic traps to make them manual, and MDC traps have a contraption available to make them remote controlled  :wow:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
What do experienced feral catchers think of drop traps?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »
I'm wondering whether a drop trap would be an easier way of catching a small family of feral cats than a conventional trap. I've watched some vids about them, they look difficult to use. But they seem a great way to control the number of cats that are trapped, thus avoid a cat becoming "trap-wise".

Has anyone else used them? I imagine having half a dozen frantic cats bouncing around underneath!

Link to CatChat