Author Topic: Top 5 "reasons" for rehoming - Poll  (Read 5945 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Top 5 "reasons" for rehoming - Poll
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »
Has anyone ever heard the old wives tale about cats stealing a baby's breath?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There's a Stephen King film called Cats Eyes and it's about three short stories. One of them is about a young girl (Drew Barrymore) who wants her cat in the bedroom. Her parents are dubious and worried the cat might hurt her in the sleep due to the old wives tale, but it transpires that the cat is protecting the girl from evil pixies that live in the wall and DO steal childrens breath. It's pretty good.

Sorry, completely off topic, but I always think of that film when I hear the tale mentioned.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 12:25:02 PM »
Has anyone ever heard the old wives tale about cats stealing a baby's breath

Yes, many, many times  :Crazy:
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »
I had my bridge babe Tooshey way before I had my eldest and never for one minute thought about giving him away.  >:(  When she was born, he would drop a dead mouse at the bottom of her cot every morning as if bringing her breakfast. Then, around the time she started to crawl, the mouse presents suddenly stopped. When she was bigger, around 4, I told her Tooshey used to bring her breakfast every day but one day didn't do it anymore. She replied "perhaps he thought I was big enough to catch my one mice?"  :naughty:  :evillaugh:

That is soooo sweet.  Friend has recently gotten a kitten and has a 2 yr old daughter.  They play together really nicely, follow each other about etc.  Friend found kitten asleep at the bottom of the cot last week, daughter was at the top.  She's really pleased that they are getting along.  First thing that daughter wants on a morning is to find kitten and feed her.  Lovely.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »
Has anyone ever heard the old wives tale about cats stealing a baby's breath?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I had my bridge babe Tooshey way before I had my eldest and never for one minute thought about giving him away.  >:(  When she was born, he would drop a dead mouse at the bottom of her cot every morning as if bringing her breakfast. Then, around the time she started to crawl, the mouse presents suddenly stopped. When she was bigger, around 4, I told her Tooshey used to bring her breakfast every day but one day didn't do it anymore. She replied "perhaps he thought I was big enough to catch my one mice?"  :naughty:  :evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 08:08:14 AM »
To be honest, I hear so many reasons for them coming into care, that I dont have the energy to be really angry about it, just feel very sad for the poor cat, and glad that they are going to get the chance of a decent home - much better to use my energy on something productive than getting angry at a person that wouldnt even care.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 18:16:21 PM »
Sadly some doctors even give this kind of advice out. We had a case about 6 months ago where the woman had a baby by caesarian. The doctor told her partner that any animals had to be gone by the time she was discharged to avoid infection. Sharon said she was really upset about it. (Anyone with a mind of their own would have used their own judgement I know  :shify: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 18:05:29 PM »
My Mum isn't a cat person and she tried telling me when I was having my children that the cats would smell the milk off them and get into bed and sleep on their heads. I told her not to be so silly (my cats don't even like dairy products!). Plus there are always solutions. Cat nets from prams and keeping the cats downstairs when baby is asleep in the cot.

Maybe there is a link as well. I remember reading in a parenting magazine that a German study had proved households without pets were far more likely to have children with allergies as they were never exposed to pet hair etc. Its all just far too much molly coddling. Cats and children can live in perfect harmony with a little common sense and teaching the children respect for animals. Anyone who rolls out the new baby line is just using an excuse for my priorities have shifted or I just don't care any more (if they ever really did).

Sorry for ranting and interrupting your poll.

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 15:05:54 PM »
Ela, I don't mean that I would ever think of actually punching someone either. I wasn't being literal really, it just makes my blood boil hearing about it second hand, so I can't imagine how much more frustrating it is when you get it all the time. I just meant, it must make you so angry that these people come up with such awful reasons for dumping their animals. I just don't know how you control your frustrations.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 14:55:44 PM »
What does not help is medical professionals who also blame the cat/dog for any allergy without having it properly investigated. I think this is the cause in the rise of "allergies" that we are seeing. Also the old wives tales that are sadly believed, "Will steal the baby's breath", "Will smother the baby", "Will harm your unborn child". Pity there is not a common sense reaction as opposed to an "allergy" one!
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 14:08:49 PM »
God I can't believe that someone would say that the reason they need to rehome a cat is because they are "getting another cat or kitten". 

More than once I have been asked to take in an older cat, and when I say we are full and will have to put the cat on out list of those waiting to come in, I am told, 'well if you like I will take in a young cat and then my cat can go in its pen'. I am sure you know what my answer has been. I may well take their cat in but there is no way they get another one from me.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 13:52:36 PM »
To be honest I don't know how you rescuers don't just punch some of these people in the face when they come up with these pathetic excuses.

In my case it is  because I would never even think I would want to punch anyone in the face. I would also hope that my family, friends  and our CP volunteers are the type of people who would not think like that either.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 14:30:38 PM by Ela »

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 13:20:10 PM »
I agree Tiga. I have so much respect for you guys and the work you do.

I still don't get the new baby one. I have had 2 babies since first getting cats and whilst I may not have had the time to spoil the cats the way I used to for a while they were never forgotten and how could you just throw a pet out, what sort of example does that set to a child. Once life settled down with the kids the cats started getting spoilt again and by 4 people now instead of 2.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 13:56:46 PM by fourfurballs »

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 13:08:58 PM »
To be honest I don't know how you rescuers don't just punch some of these people in the face when they come up with these pathetic excuses. You must have AMAZING self control. There's no way I could keep my mouth shut, but I know you have to for the sake of the cats.

I just can't believe some people.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
God I can't believe that someone would say that the reason they need to rehome a cat is because they are "getting another cat or kitten". 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 07:57:58 AM »
The one I have had most this week and last is owner moved out and left the cat in the house, it has been up to neighbours to contact us. Had another two last night.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 07:38:18 AM »
I did have one once where I was told  the dog was allergic to the cat. Of course the dog was the newcomer but still the cat who had been a family 'pet' for years was the one to have to go.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 07:34:46 AM »
The reason I always seem to get is moving and landlord doesn't allow pets.  I've been given that one at least ten times this year

I think that is one of our most popular, I would say I have heard that 10 times in one day (that is absolutely true). I  voted for 5 in the top 6. The only one I didn't was because of a new baby but that would have been my next choice had I been able to vot for 6.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 07:35:22 AM by Ela »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 21:38:51 PM »
Mark one we used to get is new partner allergic!

I stopped listening to excuses and always took bed, carrier and anything else inlcuding a donation from folks on picking up cats/kittens sure made them think!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
Thought the allergy one would be listed  :evillaugh:

It is  :evillaugh: (2nd from top)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 10:48:32 AM »
I have added that option - I knew I would miss loads  :Crazy:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 09:18:17 AM »
The reason I always seem to get is moving and landlord doesn't allow pets.  I've been given that one at least ten times this year. :(
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 00:05:28 AM »
Thought the allergy one would be listed  :evillaugh:!  Mad of what  :'(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 21:25:00 PM »
Yep, we did, and not so long ago. Think you started it Julie.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 20:18:02 PM »
Quite possible but hey  :evillaugh:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 20:02:43 PM »
Didn't we already do this one?  :shify:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 19:59:32 PM »
I'm just bitter because it's so hard when someone says "i've bought a kitten" and you just know what'll happen even though it's hard to say anything.

My close friends wouldn't dare tell me if they did though!

I even used the line "I'll reserve a pen for it now, shall I?" when a friend told me of their friend's new purchase.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 18:58:22 PM »

"Bought a cute little fluffy kitten and didn't realise it was actually a fragile life that would grow up into a cat-ew a cat! I'm gonna buy a puppy" isn't on the list either...  >:(

That's how I got Kylie - she had been dumped on Archway CP as "It doesn't do anything, we are getting a dog instead"  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 18:56:18 PM »
Added the options.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 18:57:03 PM by Mark »

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 18:51:38 PM »
Sadly "moved out and left behind" seems to be the most popular for us this year  :tired:

"Bought a cute little fluffy kitten and didn't realise it was actually a fragile life that would grow up into a cat-ew a cat! I'm gonna buy a puppy" isn't on the list either...  >:(
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 18:48:20 PM »
Yes C - one of the most common ones - thanks  :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 18:49:15 PM by Mark »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 18:46:38 PM »
I am not at the sharp end but isn't 'new baby' one of the common ones?  :tired:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Top 5 "reasons" for rehoming - Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 18:43:31 PM »
Please add the most common reasons people give for rehoming. If I need to add a category, let me know.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 18:44:37 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat