Author Topic: what is it with this time of year??????  (Read 3398 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: what is it with this time of year??????
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 11:04:46 AM »
oh god yeah Sharon... sometimes people are past believing... just really makes you pull your hair out doesn't it????   Shame there is still alot of people who believe that ignorance is bliss!!!! 

:censored: :tired:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 07:48:54 AM »
A call yesterday from a charity on behalf of their clients. 5 kids, 2 dogs, 4 cats and 9 kittens... all on benefit and all struggling to cope.. Dogs are not being given daily walks and the poor cats are between then on 5th litter... 1 mum and kittens hopefully going to RPSCA but the other older female (that we tried to get neutered back in march but they changed their minds) being spayed next week, but i almost screamed when i was told she was already preg... So if not too far gone she gets spayed, if not in our care, have the kittens, rehomed kittens, spay mum and if they still want her back by the end of 9wks then they can. But past experience tells me that they willl probably forget they have a cat after 2wks anyhow.. But i hope she can be spayed.. and poor mite is probably exhausted.. Some of the kittens have already been rehomed to "friends" so i can only assume that they will never be neutered when old enough anyhow..

The lady from the charity agreed with me on all counts about this problem (they originally were not prepared to neuter any cat) but some soft talking got them to see common sense...

But doesnt it make you bellow!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 15:39:56 PM »
If someone tells me they are emigrating i dont really consider them urgent.. You just dont wake up one day and say "right i am off to !!!)? Do you . ? Its someething that takes weeks and months to do.. If they give us weeks and months far do, but i had one on the phone this morning with one 2yr unspayed female (that i offered to pay for a spay for) that is going o Thurs!!!!!!!!!!!! i gave him loads of advice and gave him details of teh vets to get her booked in for.. Did he do it.............? No way!! He hadnt?

No time for people like that.. if you are going to lie at least make it a good lie!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing is to ask where they are going and then say why they dont take the animals with them? If the go silent.. its a concern!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
In all honesty I don't know whether they just think if they come up with a good enough story we'll  'buy' it and jump right on it regardless of whether we have space or not!!! 

I had a lady the other day who was almost begging me to take the cat and then came out with the usual scenario of 'well I'll have to put it on the street then'....  all because I don't have space.... just 1 small problem of course... if I have nowhere at all to physically put the cat.... what do they want me to do hang it from the rafters!!!  <sigh>

Offline annettemarie

• Adult Cat
  • My darling Crookie
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 15:22:14 PM »
Why do people feel the need to lie?!  It doesn't matter why they're giving away a family pet...its awful no matter what the reason. 

I guess at least they are trying to give the cat another chance and not just dumping it somewhere.

I don't know how they can do it though.  It broke my heart taking a stray I'd found to the SSPCA (I would have taken him in, but my cat wouldn't accept him).

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 14:21:16 PM »
this is true Ela... I think (for me anyways) I would just much rather people tell me the truth rather than saying they're emigrating when clearly they aren't .. its obviously the latest 'ploy'

lol, I was dealing with the female of a couple who were moving 'imminently' and got the husband on the phone and asked when the date was.... he had to ask his wife :Crazy:

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 11:37:47 AM »
Was watching a programme on TV this morning called Animal Arrivals and they were at Manchester Dogs Home and a family had chosen a dog which was being prepared for them to take home (was surprised they don't do home checks or anything) and the re-homing was cancelled by the Dogs Home at the last minute as the family had a cat but they said they wanted to "get rid" of the cat so they could have the dog. :censored:

Not surprisingly the Dogs Home refused to let them have the dog but it makes you wonder if they ever did "get rid" of the cat. :censored: :censored:

This kind of thing really boils my blood!  Do people get rid of their first born child if they've another on the way?  No.   It should be the same with animals.  You choose them (or in cat's cases they choose you) and you love them unconditionally and look after them until the end.  Stupid people like that don't deserve to have the joy of having an feline or canine (or any other species for that matter) as a member of the family.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
Was watching a programme on TV this morning called Animal Arrivals and they were at Manchester Dogs Home and a family had chosen a dog which was being prepared for them to take home (was surprised they don't do home checks or anything) and the re-homing was cancelled by the Dogs Home at the last minute as the family had a cat but they said they wanted to "get rid" of the cat so they could have the dog. :censored:

Not surprisingly the Dogs Home refused to let them have the dog but it makes you wonder if they ever did "get rid" of the cat. :censored: :censored:

Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »
this is true Ela... I think (for me anyways) I would just much rather people tell me the truth rather than saying they're emigrating when clearly they aren't .. its obviously the latest 'ploy'

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 07:55:27 AM »
True
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 07:43:30 AM »
A good thing about September though is that homing starts to pick up again after a summer lull.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 07:44:02 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 21:19:36 PM »
September seems to be a very busy month for people emigrating, maybe they are hoping for nice weather!! Sadly I dont think it will ever go away, but some areas seem to be getting it worse than others.
Please spay your cat

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 21:14:24 PM »
Ive just looked at that bloody gumtree site and wished i hadn't. The amount of cats given up because their owners are emigrating or changing jobs or what ever excuse they choose to use is just depressing, Ive noted their seems to be more people advertising for the same reasons on cat chat too >:(
All I know is if i was emigrating then my cats would come too and if they couldn't then i wouldn't be going, simple as that. It makes you wounder why they bother in the first place and no wounder people in rescue want to scream!! >:(

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 18:37:31 PM »
As you know i lost my cat Wizzy back in april , but i keep renewing the adverts on preloved, etc, tonight i came home and found an e-mail waiting for me, saying i hope you found your cat but if not owing to myself and my partner splitting up i have a 2yr old grey cat, very loving that needs a good home ,I cant believe that someone would offer their furball to a complete stranger :shocked: i told them i couldnt take her as im still getting over loosing Wizzy, Ninja and Meg, so why do i feel so :( and guilty for saying no
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 16:55:51 PM »
exactly... I've had 4 phone calls and 2 emails from people supposedly emigrating since yesterday!!! <sigh> 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 16:53:51 PM »
if everyone who said they were actually went there would hardly be anyone left! 

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
what is it with this time of year??????
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 16:52:15 PM »
Seriously, what is it with this time of year that everyone seems to think oh lets emigrate... or so they would like us to believe!!!!!  Granted some are genuine cases but I've just had yet another so called 'caring' owner on the phone to say that they need to rehome their 2 2yr old cats cos they are emigrating and when asked 'when'...  uh oh uh oh... welll.... we're just kinda thinking of it at the moment...

I could scream!!!!   :censored:   :Crazy:     obviously the latest rumour is that if they tell us they are emigrating we'll immediately make space by clicking our fingers and hey presto!!!! 

sorry for the rant guys... been one of those weeks!!!!   >:(

Link to CatChat