Author Topic: Anyone willing to make a call to suss out a wanted ad?  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Anyone willing to make a call to suss out a wanted ad?
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 16:58:02 PM »
I had a reply from the site admin, saying he is going to contact the advertiser. Hopefully they won't be fobbed off with a story.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 15:08:55 PM »
They have a separate section for each breed. I have emailed the site and pointed out why they should remove the ad. Hopefully they will co-operate.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 15:25:17 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 14:23:01 PM »
It's a shame there isn't an officially worded ad from a charity that could be used. This could be used over & over.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 14:17:29 PM »
probably one of the best things to do is if you see an as like this then do your own ad ASAP to warn people of the danger of scammers and offering animals to an ad like this. I have heard that some of these go to vivsectionists and if your reply hints at this rather than states it , it should not cause offence.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »
I spoke to someone on the RSPCA helpline.

She said without an address, there is not much they can do. I said I thought addresses could be traced by landlines. She said that only the police can do that. She said there is nothing in the ad suggesting anything bad would happen to the kittens  :tired: She also said that if people wanted to advertise for kittens on the internet and resell them at a profit, although it wasn't a good thing, it wasn't breaking any laws as long as the animals welfare was taken care of. She said she will pass it onto the relevent department and they will decide whether to investigate any further.  :tired:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:54:27 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 12:30:22 PM »
I phoned CP head office and they said phone RSPCA    :tired:

Anything could be happening to these kittens. I feel like I am speaking in a foreign language talking to people as I can't get across what danger the kittens could be in.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:36:54 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 12:16:10 PM »
This is really peeing me off!

No call returned from the CP branch - it's been 3 days now, even though I chased up yesterday. I phoned the RSPCA number in Godstone and went though the whole spiel and was advised to phone the national cruelty helpline - I know it is pointless. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Thanks

PS - The original ad has been removed but as I took a note of the phone numbers, I googled and found another ad.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:21:42 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 22:50:38 PM »
I am a volunteer with Canterbury CP. The reason I phoned Croydon is because it's their patch and I thought someone might have had dealings with these people in the past or know people that can investigate. The only reason I didn't want to involve the RSPCA is I am always worried they will go in and PTS.

I think I will phone head office or the RDM tomorrow and see if they can push it as I am really concerned about this.

I will PM the links to the ad.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 23:48:45 PM by Mark »

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 20:13:17 PM »
That's just out of our area so comes under Croydon branch. Their number is: 020 8763 0072.
Unfortunately at CP we don't have the same control as RSPCA in as much that we can only help someone/ take action if the person with the issue lets us so I don't know what help CP could offer although I'm pretty sure they would do anything they could.
I know it's not ideal but contacting RSPCA will more than likely be the only way to get it investigated.
Message me the URL for the ad and I shall have a look and see if I recognise the ad as I have seen a couple of these in my area and it may welll be the same person.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 18:48:56 PM »
Coulsdon - anywhere near?

Monica in the shop was quite concerned that nobody had called me back.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 18:49:39 PM by Mark »

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 18:38:52 PM »
What part of Surrey? It may come under my area.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 18:17:24 PM »
Still no call from the CP branch - I am going to phone other rescues myself if I don't hear by the morning. I will call CP H/O for advice first.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
There is an advert that often appears on the Tree site in our area, offering to take in any unwanted kittens or pregnant cats, very much the same sort of thing.  Always think it is suspicious.

It really is time that these sites did not see animals as just another commodity to be sold or moved around at the whim of a stupid human. >:(
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 10:23:23 AM »
I just chased this up. The lady said she is surprised nobody has called me back yet. I found the ad again and wrote the numbers down in case the ad gets deleted  :shify:

I think the RSPCA who actually have powers should have people checking and investigating freeads like this?

I just found the catchat thread and I agree it sounds like the same person. Any genuine rescue person would welcome questions and advice and be totally transparent, not defensive and aggressive?

I will wait and see if the CP branch get back and reluctantly will have to pass this onto the RSPCA if I don't get a call in the next few hours.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 10:38:18 AM by Mark »

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
This rings a bell, there was something like this on cat chat not so long ago. She wanted kittens and queens in kitten. When questioned about motives and rehoming policies she became very defensive and hostile. She stated that she vets all homes and gives them away free, but could not explain how she can afford worming, vets, flea treatments etc.

When she found out that I work with the police, she deleted the OP and her profile. Ela will remember her, cannot recall if it was the same part of the country though.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »
Still no call - I will give it until lunchtime and chase them up.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 20:50:39 PM »
VERY WORRYING

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 18:35:52 PM »
No call back yet from CP branch - I will chase up tomorrow.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 16:58:50 PM »
its heart breaking, they are completely helpless and have no control over where they end up, this is one thing that I really get angry about, there must be a way of controlling the sale of animals I just don't believe there isn't

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 16:57:33 PM »
possibly someone who's decided that as the rescue's are overflowing they can try and make a quick buck or two... I hope not, but really wouldn't be surprised!!! <sigh>  Not got much faith in humanity at the moment!!!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 15:29:05 PM »
they've got to be a pet shop or something the pet shop near my mum always has a sign in the window asking for kittens makes me sick

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 15:26:57 PM »
I googled their phone number and they have an ad on another site as well - they have a name for it - which when I googled that, came up with nothing. This sounds really dodgy  :( >:(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 15:27:53 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 14:40:06 PM »
I spoke to a CP shop manager in the area. She is going to make some calls and get back to me. She said if nobody from CP is around, she is going to contact Animal Samaritans and a couple of other places - she agrees that the ad is worrying.

I mentioned the  :bum: pca but she said it wasn't a good idea.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 14:43:23 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 14:35:37 PM »
I know cp doesn't have any power but if they think it looks necessary they can take the next step, sounds like a pet shop or something horrible  why oh why can't there be control over this sort of thing  :tired:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 14:34:23 PM »
I will phone the local CP there but CP doesn't have any power like the RSPCA - unfortunately, I would install gallows in each town given the chance  >:(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 14:32:03 PM »
sounds like someone who can do something about it should look into this, is there a local cp branch??  I can't phone from here because I can't hide the number when I ring out

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Anyone willing to make a call to suss out a wanted ad?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 14:19:14 PM »
This isn't the tree site - it's another site I came across by accident. There is an ad from someone in Surrey.

It is very worrying - I would call their local RSPCA but wondered if someone could work out why they are offering to take ANY kittens or pregnant cats? 

" I Am taking in any - unplanned kittens from 6 weeks old and pregnant mums that needs a new home. Will arrange to come and pick them up.
Location"

Please post here or PM me if you can make the call - thanks

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 14:19:34 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat