Author Topic: CAT FLU  (Read 3996 times)

Offline annettemarie

• Adult Cat
  • My darling Crookie
Re: CAT FLU
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 15:18:12 PM »
Thinking of you Ron and all your cats....hope things are OK?!

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 17:06:25 PM »
sending you :hug: today Ron, hope that things are going OK.!

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 13:37:32 PM »
Hope things improve soon Ron  :hug:

Sadly even though vac'ed cat flu will quickly spread through rescue centres and catteries, I think this is because the cats are already stressed (although they dont always show it).
When i worked in the cattery all cats were vac'ed but it didnt stop them getting cat flu and calici

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 13:19:12 PM »
Ron, I'm so sorry you've had this outbreak  :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 12:14:36 PM »
really really sorry to hear this Ron we have all fingers and paws crossed here that it doesn't spread round and that your oldies get much better really really soon.  :hug: to you and the babes!   :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 17:09:06 PM »
Sending hugs all round hunnie x  :hug:

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 16:58:10 PM »
Oh no poor babies hope they are all feeling much better soon.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 21:45:28 PM »
No vaccine is 100% so unfortunately in close contact it will spread  :( sensible to have just the one person doing the kittens  ;D
Hope the old cats perks up soon :wish:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
The problem is there are so many different strains of cat flu it's impossible for the vacine to cover all of them. The manufacturers concentrate on the most common/deadliest strains and the if cat is exposed to a strain not cover by the vacine, as Ela says, it shouldn't hit them as hard.

Once they have recovered from an initial infection of cat flu, they can still be carriers of it for the rest of their lives and the symptoms can come back, especially when they are feeling stressed.

:( :hug: :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 08:19:36 AM »
Some of my cats had the flu jabs weeks back and they still got it, so it does not make sense to me

When a cat has its injections it does not mean it is not going to get the virus, it just means that if it does it usually does not take hold and they can fight it of more easily.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 00:01:58 AM »
Some of my cats had the flu jabs weeks back and they still got it, so it does not make sense to me I am only hoping my indoor cats don't get it :scared: and only Dave who is not going near the main pen is doing the kitten pens where we have 7  kittens and the pen that holds mum and her five small kittens  we also have a pregnant mum who is about to have her kittens any day now in an other small pen i am just keeping my fingers crossed

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 23:34:59 PM »
I hope they are all ok and recover well. It's horible to watch them all sneezy but it isn't always as serious as it seems and they usually bounce back with some TLC. I have got used to it now as one of mine has fairly frequent flair ups from when she had cat flu when she was a baby. In fact she had one just after we got the newest addition which meant he had his flu jab a week early but we had to keep them separate as the vet advised us that it takes a week for ithe vaccination to take effect and build immunity for them which may explain why they have caught it if your other cats have only recently been vaccinated.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 22:50:28 PM »
Fingers crossed for everyone Ron
Please spay your cat

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
CAT FLU
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 22:46:12 PM »
 We took a poor stray in last week not knowing he had cat flu as he was showing no signs of it what so ever with in three days he started sneezing but by the time we realized it was to late, and by yesterday nearly all my cats in the pen had caught it i have had to take 15 poor little Babes to the vets since yesterday and still got 6 more to go God knows what my vet bill will be this month :scared:, but what i don't really understand is the have all had the flu jabs as they came in, we always take new cat strait to the vet for a check up  fleeing and worming,i would have thought the vet would have spotted it :shocked: i am a bit concerned about a poor old 13 year i have as its seemed to have hit him the worst and the vet said i should keep an eye on him because of his age and he is the only one with watery eyes and dribbling.and to think i done a Favor taking the stray in from out side Brighton but i could not turn the poor little lad away. :stupid: wish us Luck.

Link to CatChat