Author Topic: Some Advice Please  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Naila

• Kitten
Re: Some Advice Please
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 16:35:23 PM »
That's a good point actually. If they did tell her everything was fine, nothing would change. I've experienced that before - I once got in touch about someone who was feeding their cats shockingly small amounts of food in my opinion and the RSPCA guy called me after to say they were lean and that's fine. Ho hum.

I know the friend in question is at home most of the time so that's good for starters. She works part time at a Cats Protection League shop, I think. There are other cats there, not sure how many, so the cat I'm worried about might not be so keen as she's used to being number one. The only thing is I think this friend might be a tad naive as she has looked after the cat before and was feeding her fresh chicken and fish. Not the best things to give an obese cat I feel. Her heart's in the right place though so it would still be better than where she is.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 16:28:50 PM »
It may give her a kick but also may frustrate you if they come back and say everything is fine as is sometimes the case - do you know anything about the person who will take her on?

Offline Naila

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 16:25:38 PM »
Hi Dawn, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I can't speak to her anymore now which is frustrating. At least before she sort of listened and wanted to hear advice. I so wish she hadn't changed her mind back! We're in London, they're in Wood Green to be more precise. She's got a friend who was willing to take her before. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll consider it again when she's calmed down enough to see sense and put the cat first but in the meantime, I really think a visit from the RSPCA will give her the kick up the bum she needs... am I right? A bit confused as I don't want to waste their time as well.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 16:16:16 PM »
I guess now you are banned its going to be tricky to get invovled with out the rspca!  what area are you in?  most rescues are pretty full at the moment because of the holidays and kittens but you might be able to find one who can take her in if you think the person who has her will really give her up

Offline Naila

• Kitten
Some Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 16:00:15 PM »
Hello all

I'm new here, thanks for having me. I'm looking for advice from people who know cats, who are also completely impartial. I don't know many who are as well versed as I like to think I am, anyway... thank you for your patience in advance, as this will be a bit of an essay.

Okay, so I am concerned about a cat that was adopted by my boyfriend's flatmate late last year. The reason she needed a new home was due to her previous owner, an old lady, passing away. This old lady was obviously at home all the time so the cat was accustomed to lots of company. The flat she moved to is completely different in that she is on her own during the working day and some evenings, and has been left on her own for a whole weekend at least once that I know of. Not the ideal new home for what is an old cat at ten-years-old who is used to much more company. I'm very concerned about this cat's boredom levels due to this lack of company. She does look unhappy to me and tends to stride aimlessly up and down, when she is awake. The curtains tend to be left shut all day so she hasn't got a window to look out of and there is not much for a cat to look at in the flat. She has just one toy (there's another I donated she needs supervision for in case she chokes) she can play with but it is left hanging on a lamp so is not accessible. Really, there is no entertainment for this poor cat who is used to someone always being there whatsoever.

Aside from this, the cat is in quite poor condition. She arrived overweight - probably to the point of obese - and nothing has been done to help her lose weight, no diet food, nothing. This cat is so porky that she cannot sit down and lean forward the way others do to eat; she shifts her back legs to the side so she's half lying down. I've never seen this before so to me it's abnormal - if anyone has any cats that are a normal weight that do this, I'd like to hear about it. Other than her weight issues that the vet has said nothing about (unbelievable considering one of my own reached only 4.7kg after not going out so much and I was told to cut food back a bit!), her skin isn't great. Her fur is dull but more worrying is the dandruff and little scabs her body seems to be covered with. She hasn't got fleas and doesn't go out to get into fights, so they're a bit of a mystery. Obviously the skin condition is a good indication of general health. I think it's partly just because she's too big to be able to clean herself and so her skin is suffering. Not good.

So these are the physical issues that are not being addressed. Something else that concerns me is the provision of water. On most occasions I have stayed over, the owner has left for work in the morning without changing the water bowl. It's very obvious, we all know what water left overnight in a cat bowl looks like - and I don't believe that's fresh enough for a cat that's going to be left alone for at least a whole working day. Other times I have visited and she has been left with a TINY bowl of water that clearly was not enough. This was on warm days when she was more likely to be thirsty so even more unforgivable.

I also believe the owner handles her too roughly, particularly for an older cat. She tends to sweep her up making her wail in the process and plonks her down as if she were a bag of shopping, which also makes her complain. It's like watching the way a young child would handle an animal before you ask them to be more careful. I know it's too rough as when I have picked her up, she has rarely minded. Another thing about the owner is that she gets annoyed with the cat for meowing. I've observed this and been shocked by her telling her to shut up. This isn't a care issue but it's silly and not indicative of someone who should love and understand their cat as much as they should.

Hmm, I think that's it. A more minor quibble is the amount of litter left in her tray. It doesn't even cover the bottom. Cats like to bury their business so while I doubt this is making the cat unhappy, I'm sure she'd appreciate a bit more.

Some time ago the owner was considering giving this cat away as she realised for herself that she is not happy. At the time I was thankful for this and tried to gently nudge her towards making the decision by telling her not to feel bad, it was best for the cat, and gave her some advice for what was appropriate in the meantime. She finally made the decision and I thought this was fantastic news. Unfortunately, she has since appeared to change her mind for what I can only think are selfish reasons - it is nice to have a cat around. I decided to ask her if the cat is still leaving and admitted that calling the RSPCA had come to mind. It had, but I more said it to illustrate how strongly I felt that this cat needs a better home.

The owner's reaction was then cause for further concern. She took immediate offence and believed it was a personal attack. Okay, I wouldn't like it if someone told me my cats were better off elsewhere. However, I believe a truly responsible owner who genuinely cares about their cat would do, is ask what the issues are that would cause someone to be so concerned. I had offered to explain exactly what these issues were as before I had skirted around them, but she is simply not interested. Rather, I've been banned from visiting the flat so I can't now see if there are any improvements.

Other than continuing to ask around my friends if they can adopt I don't know what to do. Everybody who likes and can have a cat already has one though. I do want to call the RSPCA as it seems to be the last option, just to make her see she's not doing a good job, but my boyfriend thinks it's going too far (annoying as he always agreed the cat wasn't being looked after properly before). I don't think they'll take the cat away but they would hopefully give her some advice she'd actually listen to and that can only be a good thing, right?

I'll call them anyway in a couple of weeks but I wanted to see if people not involved in any way would do the same thing. Then I can at least do without being made to feel as if I'm a bad person for it - I couldn't care less about the politics, I just care about the cat!

Thanks very much for reading, and looking forward to some perspective.

Link to CatChat