Author Topic: Thinking of adopting a (suspected) deaf cat...  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Thinking of adopting a (suspected) deaf cat...
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 19:30:08 PM »
Fingers crossed for him
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 12:04:43 PM »
Oh how lovely ... I'm sure when he feels a bit mkore settled and happy he will find his voice again ... poor little lad is probably feeling sad and alone.  I really hope he can come and live with you  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 00:05:36 AM »
Sounds promising - :luck:

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 21:52:38 PM »
well, we met Timmy the Meezer today and he is lovely, very good natured and likes a fuss. he has a loud purr...but he didn't meow or do any meezer sounds whilst we were there.   after quite a lot of petting and stroking and fussing he got slightly grumpy and nipped (gently) a couple of times, especially when our hands were near the side of his face, nothing that alarmed us too much though.  we have to remember that he probably feels a bit scared and his situation is new to him so he may feel insecure - plus he had three people crowded around him in his pen!  he reacted to sounds (or maybe the vibrations of the sounds?) so I don't think he is deaf, maybe just a bit hard of hearing. 

i think we could offer him a very loving home in the twilight of his life...the only hurdle will be if he and my existing cat doesn't get along. i hope the Rescue Officer feels that we could make suitable parents to Timmy, if so i think we will go ahead with the adoption - he is quite the little charmer :)

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 18:50:13 PM »
as you know, i am looking for a friend for my 12.5 year old siamese.  I think I have found a likely good match, a 13.5year old Siamese male neuter whose mummy recently passed away :(

the lovely lady at Siamese Rescue said that she suspected the cat may be deaf or hard of hearing.  I have read up on what it is like to live with a deaf cat from the human perspective and all sounds fine and manageable (common sense stuff), but was wondering how my existing cat might find it?  would positive interaction be hampered because of the deafness?  would my cat get frutsrated?  would the deaf cat be frightened of another cat? 

would love to hear of any experiences that you may have, or knowledge you can share.

thanks!

A few months ago a deaf and elderly stray turned up and moved in with us and my current cat, a 4-5 year old that I had for 2 years, looking at them , there seems to be no allowances made for any deafness, perhaps things are evened up a bit as my current cat is one-eyed. The deaf one is just as likely to leap on the one eyed one for fun and frolics (that occasionally result in yowling and hissing) and then within an hour they are as likely to be sharing the same chair as one either side of the flat sulking. They have been in the same house for 4 months now and *touch wood* both seem to be surviving  :Luv:

I would guess that like any introduction it will come down to the personalities of the cats, fortunately our deaf boy is older and has been through the mill but isn't going to fight for territory, my one eyed boy is needy and demanding and a bit more anxious but doesn't feel too threatened by the old boy.

Best of luck though!!

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »
So glad you are going to see this little one and giving him a chance.

We have just disocvered that one of our little white kittens is deaf.  Had always suspected he was because he is white and although his eyes have now changed from blue, they were very slow in doing so. 

It doesn't seem to hamper him at all, though he has never miaowed or purred, I wonder if this is because he would not hear it anyway.  He is a normal kitten in every other way but with him you can hoover around him and he does not run away.  His brothers and sisters have just been re-homed but he will stay with us as I do not want him going anywhere where there is a chance he may go out. 

We have his mum still and she will probably be staying as well, as she has a very bad leg, that has been pinned, but not very well and she walks quite strangely but they are good company for each other and have quite a special bond.

I have a laser toy and will have to see if he likes this as, of course, he can't hear the ones with bells in etc.

Good luck on Sunday. :Luv2:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 07:15:34 AM »
 :) let us know how you get on!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 14:20:16 PM »
thanks everyone.  well i am going to go and see him on Sunday afternoon, i am really looking forward to meeting the little fellow :)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 13:58:18 PM »
Our old cat Schui is deaf and we haven't had problems.  Just things we've noted and many comical really, you can vac round him, workmen can drill etc and he sleeps through.  He used to go up the garden every day making funny howling noises (until he recently got a bit poorly) - I presume because he can't hear himself and he silent meows slthough some hearing cats do that too.  He also flinches if you approach him from behind so just to be a bit careful not to startle him.  I think the main thing is not responding to his name but you get used to that  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 23:10:04 PM »
No worries.  When are you hoping to meet this special boy?

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
thanks so much for the link, some good info in there about human / deaf cat communication which I hadn't thought about it!

i suspect that because cats communicate using non-vocal methods mainly, that defaness isn;t such an issue for cat-cat relationships?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 21:01:50 PM »
Although I've never dealt with a deaf cat I wouldn't imagine there would be too many problems ... cats rely on body language alot more than vocalisation.

The following site might be of interest:  http://www.messybeast.com/disabled.htm#deaf

One thing to consider is that he might not actually be deaf ... just "ignorant"  ;)  If he's depressed from losing his slave he will be unresponsive  and may have withdrawn into himself and if he lived all his life hearing just one person talking to him / calling him he may just be ignoring everyone else.

Good luck and fingers crossed he will be suitable and able to join your family xxx

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 18:12:33 PM »
thanks
well that could work out well...hopefully my cat Castle will get bored of any hissing and spitting if he gets no reaction from the hard-of-hearing cat!  :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 16:42:24 PM »
Good luck with him - the main difference is that he wont be able to hear your cat warning him, so there could be slight issues there - I have had a couple of hard of hearing cats this year, they completely ignored all the hissing and spitting!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 14:36:56 PM »
I've got a friend with a deaf cat who depends on her companion cat to help out and be her ears.

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 13:53:01 PM »
well, he is an absolute cutie, i can't wait to meet him to see how he is in the fur :)

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 12:23:53 PM »
Aw well done to you for considering adopting this puss.  Sorry, can't give you advice as I've not dealt with a deaf cat just wanted to say good on you x x

Offline Meezer Mum

• Adult Cat
Thinking of adopting a (suspected) deaf cat...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »
as you know, i am looking for a friend for my 12.5 year old siamese.  I think I have found a likely good match, a 13.5year old Siamese male neuter whose mummy recently passed away :(

the lovely lady at Siamese Rescue said that she suspected the cat may be deaf or hard of hearing.  I have read up on what it is like to live with a deaf cat from the human perspective and all sounds fine and manageable (common sense stuff), but was wondering how my existing cat might find it?  would positive interaction be hampered because of the deafness?  would my cat get frutsrated?  would the deaf cat be frightened of another cat? 

would love to hear of any experiences that you may have, or knowledge you can share.

thanks!

Link to CatChat