Author Topic: Feral cats and Kittens at Magor Services  (Read 3562 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Feral cats and Kittens at Magor Services
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 18:45:36 PM »
Quite possibly, i have only ever dealt with her over e-mail.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 17:16:50 PM »
Aha, Desley, but it was Karen Stevenson who got me on the path to feral trapping and probably has a better list of feral 'nutters' than most. She's got ears and eyes everywhere.  :shify: :evillaugh:

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 11:39:20 AM »
Might be, but we only have 10 branches across England and Scotland (and one of those is on Jersey), so it is whether there is one nearby - my geography is poor am afraid.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »
I have already looked at the map and this place is further away than Paris to me.  :( I'm afraid the RSPCA will just PTS the lot.  :tired:

Not sure if it's worth an email to Cat Action Trust HQ about this case as well?  :shy:

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
    • Animal Care Society (Cork)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
The two smallest are weary of people but with the right person they will blossom :Luv2:
The older kittens hide and are hissy spitty little girls the person that take them on will have there work cut out and the same with the mom cat.
Hopefully something can be done for them soon before it gets out of control
annefitz@animalcaresociety.ie
http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 07:47:28 AM »
I am not quite sure why no rescue has got involved here... but i suspect we are all the same... But still its abit of hard life isnt it living on a motorway service station... Can some not ring RSPCA who have the resources to at least go out and suss the situation and and neuter if before it gets worse.. Surely the service station staff may be able to help a little bit... If we were closer i could ask if we could help.. but having a call this week re 8 kittens and adults we are kind of bunged up... However.... if things are still the same contact CP HQ and see if they can assist or at least give some advice etc.... Poor mites seem as they have been forgotten.... ! We had a similar situation at a Tesco warehouse a few years back and it got totally out of control for months and months until we got round to neutering the females etc and eventually the colony stabalised...  But the location makes it more difficult to deal with but at least if anyone is going that way it could be one in and one out approach... Just remove and neuter and rehome as space become available.

My rehoming has certaintly picked up this week rehoming 12 cats in just under 2wks and most have been kittens... So homes are out there just maybe not local to this situation.. ARe the kittens handable and not hissy and spity?
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:34:30 AM »
Just an update on this.....Tuesday morning at 5.30am we stopped of at Magor for a break :tired: and to check the dogs. I have gotten into the habit  of putting in a box of whiskers kitten in jelly :Luv2: in my over night bag to feed the mom and her two kits they are still there and getting bigger as they are all three females the kits who are a pair of torties will soon be old enough to start having there own kits there is also a younger pair of tabby kittens  :wow: as well they are about 5 - 6 wks old and have nice huge fat wormy tummys  :sick:   fed all of them with the food that I had with me tried to get close enough to the two smallest but the kept running away :scared: even if I had managed to scoop them up we had the ambulance full of dogs and I dont think that they would have been impressed :shocked:

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 12:24:11 PM »
Hello

I too was hoping someone with a local knowledge could pop on here and suggest someone close by.  I too Googled and found the Dog Page thing too!   Its great the internet, when it works.

I suppose if you look with a cat rescuers hat on, you will find feral cats in lots of places.  :thanks:
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 20:27:19 PM »
I had to google to see where it is. Diidydawn may have some contacts but she is taking a well earned break. She is in N Wales but has contacts all over. I wonder if there is anyone in S Wales or Severn area on here? - my geography is rubbish - Is that Gloucester area? - I know Den & Alison live there. I wonder if a local CP would be able to help?
We are in Kent - a long way from there  :(

I wonder if these people would be able to help? http://www.southwalesanimalrescue.org.uk/

There is a thread about it on dogpages http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?s=17dabb6fb0cc1e96ce11b9122d3ce10e&showtopic=175289&pid=2522076&st=0&#entry2522076
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 20:31:41 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 20:23:00 PM »
Nothing here :'( We have a dog trip next week so I guess they will get fed again...we do have another trip coming up in 3 wks time....If it is not sorted by then I guess we will try and trap them then but there is not much point in us doing it unless we have somewhere for them to go. any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Anne  :thanks:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 19:51:41 PM »
Any news on these poor cats?  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 00:53:10 AM »
There are some feral cats and kittens that always seem to be around the service station at Magor Services, Junction 23, M4.  We have had reports from some an Irish rescue who stop off there to attend to their cats and dogs that are coming into the UK for rehoming.  The lady I spoke to said that she always takes some food for them, but really she can only spend up to about two hours at the most there, because they have to attend to the animals on the transport van.  It is not long enough to set up traps, and anyway their van would be full at that stage, and with nowhere to take them to she is very sorry for them.  She obviously realised that we have our trouble spots too! 

Does anybody know of any rescues in that immediate area, that would be able to trap and neuter, or whatever is needed please?  I realise that these questions are being asked at a very busy time, but the lady is worried about how they will survive the winter.  :thanks:

Yes we are worried..Last week when we stopped of there I was unable to see the mom cat but the kitten was there we fed her at 4am sunday morning and again 11am sunday morning as stated the Animal Ambulance is always full coming over and for safety reasons we cant have a trap in the walk way incase of an emergency an living in Ireland we feel so helpless even if we did manage to catch them on one of our trips going where can we go with them? any suggestions
Thanks
Anne

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 21:23:04 PM »
www.catchat.org they may have some in that area  ;D

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
Feral cats and Kittens at Magor Services
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 21:19:40 PM »
There are some feral cats and kittens that always seem to be around the service station at Magor Services, Junction 23, M4.  We have had reports from some an Irish rescue who stop off there to attend to their cats and dogs that are coming into the UK for rehoming.  The lady I spoke to said that she always takes some food for them, but really she can only spend up to about two hours at the most there, because they have to attend to the animals on the transport van.  It is not long enough to set up traps, and anyway their van would be full at that stage, and with nowhere to take them to she is very sorry for them.  She obviously realised that we have our trouble spots too! 

Does anybody know of any rescues in that immediate area, that would be able to trap and neuter, or whatever is needed please?  I realise that these questions are being asked at a very busy time, but the lady is worried about how they will survive the winter.  :thanks:
Coventry Cat Group

Link to CatChat