Author Topic: Good result with help from a brilliant CP branch  (Read 1657 times)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Re: Good result with help from a brilliant CP branch
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 16:33:29 PM »
Just want to thank you all for the hard work you are all doing  :thanks: :hug:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:44:39 AM »
Like Ela our branch is the same.. we spay females that are pregnant, as long as the vets think it is safe to do so.
and i realise that its a horrid thought, but we pick up the pieces of other peoples thoughlessness and we shouldnt have too.. Sadly we just cannot cope with endless pregnant cats and i know for a fact that if we didnt at least four cats this year we would not of been able to take in due to space problems and they would of ended up being PTS at the vets... Homer the FIV and cat flu puss cat one such example.

It hard but i suppose we have to be realistic.. A whole branch full of kittens and preg cats isnt going to help another Homer is it?

Just my thoughts on this very emotional subject

we do give vouchers out to those in need not necessarily on benefit, but want be taken for a ride, so we do ask 20 questions to people... Recent neutering figures for our branch (which is small) and recent netuering campaign in one of our areas neutered a cat a day for the last month...Not bad going for July!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:47:10 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 08:15:01 AM »
The new neuter policy has been in place  since January 2007, when the new yellow vouchers were available that made it easier for branches to issue full cost vouchers. HQ made it very clear of the new policy, unfortunately it was some branches not understanding the new instructions (or not wanting to know) the new guidelines that is the problem. I know this by some of the posts on Purrs during the last 18 months.

(This branch will not spay if females are pregnant)

Although some may not like it the policy of our branch is to terminate where possible and the vet thinks it is safe to do so. This decision has not been an easy one but we feel  in the cat’s interest. Our vets carry out the procedure in a most professional manner and ensure the kittens do not suffer as a result of the termination. We appreciate that not everyone agrees with termination however our reasons are purely in the interest of the cats and the cat population in general. We can usually find homes relatively easy for our kittens however that could well be at the expense at the life of another somewhere else who could meet an cruel extinction due to the fact that there are too many kittens and the owner cannot find a home for it or more usually them. The horror stories we hear almost daily are beyond belief and heartbreaking. Also the mother cat by having the termination is less at risk from certain ailments and mammary problems including mammary cancer if she does not have the kittens. We are doing the cat and the cat population no favours by letting the pregnancy continue we need to put the cat first in spite of our own feelings and thoughts. Also the pen that is blocked up by the kittens could be used to save another’s cats life, there are so many cats with no one to care for them and if we cannot take them in they suffer.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:17:36 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 22:38:32 PM »
Yes things are certainly much improved lately, I think it has a lot to do with new staff coming on board who are more aware of the need to support their volunteers. Let's hope it continues  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 22:32:48 PM »
Glad to hear this.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 16:45:35 PM »
I agree with PB, following an internal email a few days ago from HQ successfuly managed to home 2 ferals for them via a contact i had... So yes.. it all seems to of improved!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 00:09:17 AM »
That's good!  :)

I'm not quite sure what is happening at HQ recently, but since the new Chief Exec took over, communication has improved and we're getting good, clear messages that HQ is more keen than ever to spread the neutering message and are prepared to back it up with hard cash.  ;)

Maybe someone really rich popped their clogs and left a massive legacy to neuter puds with?  :shy:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Good result with help from a brilliant CP branch
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 23:51:10 PM »
Long story cut short !

House of 2 female and 2 males - none neutered !
Both females have had 2 litters
Last litter to one of the mums all died
One of males is son of one of the mums !!!!!!

Anyway i made phonecall to the local CP and they are going to pay for all 4 to be neutered  :cheer: Not just a voucher but the whole amount
Cats will be checked over next week and hopefully if the females arnt pregnant again they will be spayed the week after (This branch will not spay if females are pregnant)

Link to CatChat